Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 31 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals for this week:
run outside at least once --- forgot this was a goal
ride 20 mi --- done!!!
swim 5x -- done w/ 6

I had a good first week of work. I am feeling more settled, and I enjoyed riding my bike on Saturday. I did ten loops of a 5k path around a "lake" (people here call it a lake but in Maine we would say "pond"). I like monotony, so I found that quite nice. Also good to bike on something that is car-free.

Totals 6 swims (8,550 yds), 1 bike (31 mi), 6 runs (43.9 mi)

Goals for this week:
5 swims
10k race on Saturday... no idea how I will race in the sort of heat that they have here. Main goal is to go into it with semi rested legs.
bike long on Sunday

This week I am hoping to get foster kittens from the animal shelter. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Hope all the womens are well.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday ladies! Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik and good work getting after work goals while getting settled. If you foster kittens I hope you'll share photos :D

My goals last week were:

Quote:
3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs (including a brick), 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, and daily p/rehab. I noticed that I am less motivated to do high quality pr/rehab on the weekends so I'm going to make a point to be better at that.

I hit all my goals.
Swim: I did all three of my swims in the ocean again and am just loving swimming without a wetsuit (I haven't been in a pool since before my last race, does that matter?)
Bike: I did one trainer ride and two outdoor rides and [/font]returned to my bike fitter to get re-re-adjusted -- I have only ridden once post adjustment so keep your fingers crossed.
Run: All three of my runs were good -- a track workout, a long progressive build, and an easy aerobic effort. I am glad to be running a third day and I think it'll pay dividends.
Other: Yoga was glorious, both my strength sessions were solid, and I paid closer but not perfect attention to my weekend p/rehab.

This week it's more of the same -- 3 or 4 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, and daily p/rehab with a focus on riding outside in new tri position and an ocean swim race this weekend.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - Looking forward to some kitty-kat pictures soon!

I had a good week but I'm not entirely sure where it went!

Goals were: run x 2, spend some time on the TT bike to prepare for next week's 40km TT. I'd like to get in another 150miles of cycling by the end of the month so try and make that happen :D

The runs went well and I'm finally spending more time running than walking during my workouts. My goal of running 5k before the snow hits seems more realistic now. I didn't really get on the bike - I just didn't feel like it during the week and then I was on call over the weekend. I did one trainerroad workout on Sunday: over-unders on the TT bike. It really gave me a feel for how hard threshold feels on that bike and made me realise that I've probably been taking my time trials a little too easy.

Week goal: 150miles/5 rides to include 40k TT (probably in the range of 1h10 - 1h15), run x 2, get fence stained.

August goals:
1. 1000km on the bike. This is my last chance to get it done this summer as Sept/Oct will be about power build for my Mallorca trip in November.
2. Get back into the 140s and stay there. There's been a few too many Magnums and beers recently. On this note, what do the ladies think of DEXA scans to monitor body composition? Or should I just get one of those Tanita scales?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Swim: I did all three of my swims in the ocean again and am just loving swimming without a wetsuit (I haven't been in a pool since before my last race, does that matter?)

Does it matter in terms of what? I think it's easier to build speed in a pool but if you like swimming outside, go for it, or mix the two. You can do intervals by time in open water if you have a watch that will beep loudly enough, or you can do intervals by using particular landmarks.

Glad you had a good week and congrats on hitting your goals :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The runs went well and I'm finally spending more time running than walking during my workouts.

yay!

Quote:
what do the ladies think of DEXA scans to monitor body composition? Or should I just get one of those Tanita scales?
I don't have any sort of scale and I haven't used a Tanita one. I have had DEXA to measure bone density. Since that's what they use for bone density I would think it would be quite accurate for body fat. Do gyms have those now?! They have always looked like such fancy machinery when I've had the bone density tests.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kitty cats, yay! Be sure to post pics.

I no longer have a laptop with a functioning Garmin Training Center (old school and unsupported) so I've not been recording workouts. It's amazing how quickly (for me) that creates a lack of structure that leads to chaos in my training. I am seriously thinking about going back to a cheapo digital sport watch.

In the meantime I have resolved to give cycling time trial a go. There's a few left this year, so I'll see how that goes

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a medical centre that offers them for $65.
The guys on the TrainerRoad podcast talk about the scales a lot and today a friend mentioned a garmin scale which is why I was wondering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, Dr. Tigerchick. More clearly, I was asking if my steady swimming speed improvements stagnate if I avoid the pool until it gets too dark to swim in the ocean after work. I'm getting great muscular endurance but doubt I'm getting any faster so I'll try some open water intervals between the buoys on tonight's swim.
[EDIT: SLOGoing has a thread "Ditching the Pool and Going All OWS" on the main page]

Scheherazade, I do a quarterly DEXA scan. I like them because they are accurate, repeatable, do bone density, show asymmetries, and I don't get dunked in cold water like in hydro-static. It's actually the only time I weigh myself other than at the doctor's office.
On the other hand, My training partner has the Garmin scale -- he weighs in every day but doesn't look at the number each time -- he has really useful trended data on weight and composition.

Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Jul 31, 17 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!
I'm new to SlowTwitch forums, but I've been in the site for a while now...

I had my first race of the season on 7/31.
Sprint distance.
1/4mi swim 12:48
T1 7:15
10mi bike, 42:30 (Garmin read 11mi)
T2 4:31
5k run, 30:38

I'm pretty pleased with my bike and run times, however, I need help with OWS.
I have the physical fitness, but my mind just spins out of control and I start panicking. Anyone have any tips on keeping it together?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [Phunctional] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome! congrats on the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, we need kitten pics, please.

First off, about the scales... I have the Garmin scale and I LOVE it. It syncs to my Garmin account flawlessly and tells me great info. For instance, I'm up 10 pounds, but it is mostly muscle (because I've been hammering on the bike this year). That agrees with my pants and the less-jiggly-ness I have. I used to have one of the older Tanitas and it sync'd using Ant+ but I don't think the new models would work with my devices so I went with the Garmin when my Tanita bit the dust (the boys are not gentle).

SoCal - OMG story of my life with swimming in the ocean! I, too, did all my swims last week in the ocean and it was epic. However, up here the water is still only 60 degrees so too cold to go naked (though there are a couple of bad ass ladies in my group who do). I actually started a thread in the main forum about this to see if there was anybody out there who ditched the pool for OWS.

This week I nailed my goals.

Swim x2 in Ocean (Sunday I logged 2.3 miles)
Bike x3
Run x4

And welcome to the Womens, Phun! So far as the ol' noggin' spinning out of control, just focus on taking three breaths before you allow yourself to freak out. You can take three breaths. And after you get past the first three breaths, do it again. And again and again until you calm down. I've certainly had that panic and every time I just work on taking the next three breaths as calmly as possible. It works for me.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This had nothing to do with anything but I saw a funny video for a kitten adoption event this weekend: https://www.facebook.com/...os/1427418130656972/

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week went well. A bunch of easy runs and a track workout (and I hit 100 miles for the month again), a ride on the trainer and a gorgeous ride outside, two weights sessions, and a tiny bit of yoga. I hit 10 hours which, these days, is a really good week for me.

I haven't made it to the pool in a while and was going to go yesterday, but was super tired and had cramps so I worked in the garden instead. I don't want to give up swimming, as I do enjoy it once I get to the pool, but I am having a hard time actually getting there lately. Maybe I need to order myself some fun new pool toys. Maybe I need to switch to duathlon. Maybe I need to win the lottery and buy a mansion with its own lap pool.

I decided my goal for August is to PR my 5K. BUT, I've never actually raced an open 5K, so the only PR I have is at the end of a sprint tri a few years ago. Haha! I actually came pretty close a few months ago on a time trial.

I hope all the womens are well.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [Phunctional] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome Phunctional and congratulations!
I learned to swim for triathlon and now OWS training is my favorite part of my training. I can't believe I just wrote that but it's true!
The more you're able to practice the more comfortable you'll get in the water and that will help in your races -- As Dory says, just keep swimming!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 31 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work hitting your goals and packing on the muscle, SLO! I stopped wearing a wetsuit in March (when the water got to ~62) but the the difference between 60 and 62 seems like way more than 2 degrees -- brrr! It's ~66-68 down here now and it's glorious.
I enjoyed reading the feedback on your post in the main forum too -- if you find yourself in SoCal let me know, we can be rugged ocean swimmers avoiding the pool together :D

Quote Reply