Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Having faith in your rubber.........bike question
Quote | Reply
Another born again / back to biking biker

Its been a long time since owning and i was never enormously confident as a rider i.e. i descend faster on a push bike than my motorbike

So i went for my first night ride on mountain roads

Speed is enormously deceptive in the dark. I felt like i was going at 60-70. The speedo said i was doing 40-50

I guess its experience and i know that my nerves give out before the bike will but even with knowing the right line, when to apply the gas, selecting the right gear i think i am really hesitant which is ridiculous on a bike with huge f$$k off brembo's at the front

I find i am an excellent rider on an open road with no traffic in a straight line. Other than that its a crap shoot

Any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: Having faith in your rubber.........bike question [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Another born again / back to biking biker

Its been a long time since owning and i was never enormously confident as a rider i.e. i descend faster on a push bike than my motorbike

So i went for my first night ride on mountain roads

Speed is enormously deceptive in the dark. I felt like i was going at 60-70. The speedo said i was doing 40-50

I guess its experience and i know that my nerves give out before the bike will but even with knowing the right line, when to apply the gas, selecting the right gear i think i am really hesitant which is ridiculous on a bike with huge f$$k off brembo's at the front

I find i am an excellent rider on an open road with no traffic in a straight line. Other than that its a crap shoot

Any tips?

mate, if you think you're an excellent rider.... in a straight line only, then let me tell you, as a former crap to middling rider, you ain't an excellent rider.
there's nothing that you'll learn here on a tri forum.
go straight to a riding school, spend an hour or two in a class or one on one with an instructor, not your other mate whose also an excellent rider in a straight line and you won't believe the difference it'll make.

till then, ride safely
Quote Reply
Re: Having faith in your rubber.........bike question [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll concur with this. Take a riding class, the Lee Parks Total Control is a very good one. He also has a book by the same title which may help out some too.

Look up some videos on YouTube! for Motorcycle Gymkhana. You would not believe what some of the guys (and gals) in Japan are doing on a motorbike.
Quote Reply
Re: Having faith in your rubber.........bike question [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't just take a class. Take a racing weekend.

What's your moto?

The sport bike may not be your thing, and you may not be there to get into racing. But you'll come out the other end way more confident and able with what they teach. There are (should be anyway - not sure your locale as I type this) classes where you can rent the bike and the leathers.

That's the quick option.

You could just ride more and ease yourself into everything.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply