Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cheating - what do you do?
Quote | Reply
What do/would you do if you saw cheating during a race? Do you call it out, tell an official or let it go? I saw a blatant cheating occur at a small local race race and called them out and they of course got really angry and denied cheating and he was just helping his friend. Basically an outside person waited at the first bike turn and jumped on course and paced his friend (like pace line).

I was going to just let it go but after the race the racer approach me and got a little rude about it until a second racer who saw this as well called him and his friend out and they left. I let it go even though the other racer who saw the incident was persistent to get me to report them. So what do you do?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [BumbleBrian20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends. Did this impact the race or age group podium? If not, I would probably just explain to the racer that what he did is against the rules. You could be super condescending and start with "Hey, you must be new to the sport, so I want to let you know about a rule..." if it'll make you feel better.

If it impacted the podium, give him the chance to self-report, which he might do, and then it's up to the officials to decide how to handle it. In a small race they might let it slide.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the guy didn't podium or win a prize or something like that, I think I'd let it go. Other wise, I'd like to think I'd file a complaint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would message the director of your race to let him/her know what happened so you have a record. Then, I would look up the past race results and race photos of that racer that cheated to see if there are suspicious/missing splits. Often, where there is smoke there is fire. And if you find something that indicates more cheating, post it in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
If the guy didn't podium or win a prize or something like that, I think I'd let it go. Other wise, I'd like to think I'd file a complaint.

But a lot of cheaters continue to cheat even if they suck. Look at Kelly Roberts and Oiselle. They wouldn't stop cheating (and probably still are cheating) even though Kelly Roberts could never podium or win more than a prize raffle.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked up his results because they told me it was his first race. He raced this series last month and had a 4 minute improvement (3minutes bike time) for a sprint race! I'll email the director when I get a chance this week.
In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, it's generally best to call out cheating when you see it (tone and style depends on situation). Nobody should be exempt from following the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised you are even asking this question. It's an easy answer. He cheated. Obviously to you and another racer. Report it.
Why would you have done nothing if the other racer didn't press you? Another poster had a great comment about the previous cheaters who haven't been stand outs, and that didn't stop them.

Next time don't ask us, man up and report it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not his first time cheating and it won't be his last. Report him for sure especially if you have another witness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BumbleBrian20 wrote:
So what do you do?

Post on Slowtwitch with just enough details that someone can figure out the name, and then let it turn into a witch hunt.

More seriously, if you see it, either yell at the guy or yell and report it at the venue.

Reporting it after the might be OK, but it's a hassle from the organizer's standpoint to deal with it later.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I'm surprised you are even asking this question. It's an easy answer. He cheated. Obviously to you and another racer. Report it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to report it. Doesn't matter if it directly impacts you or not. I saw the same thing at IM Louisville last year. About 20 miles from the end of the bike, I was passed by some tall guy leading a very petite woman. I was going mid 20's and they zoomed by me, with the woman an inch off the guys wheel. Obviously cheating. I don't think the guy even had a number on his bike so I assume he jumped in at some point solely to pace her. Unfortunately I didnt get her race number so there wasn't much I could do other than yell at them for blatantly cheating. Has no affect on me but for all I know these cheating douche nozzles could have robbed someone of a KQ.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Last edited by: rotosound: Jul 16, 17 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a chance if they are cutting the course 100 % if you see it, say something.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let the officials know.

Don't confront the cheater yourself because what you got (guy got angry) is exactly what's to be expected. If they were decent people they would not be cheating in the first place. So they are scumbags, and of course they will behave as such if you confront them. People like that need to be taken to someone who has leverage over them.

As to what I'd do. That's easy. I'd memorize their race number and name and make a mental note to talk to the officials. Then many hours later after crossing the finish line covered in sweat, electrolyte, goo, and feeling the sunscreen rapidly losing its effectiveness, I'd forget all about it. Oy. That's happened twice now.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny you brought up the couple at IM Louisville. I was in the process of passing somebody about 20 mi into the bike race when someone shouted at me to "move that shit!". It was the same couple you described and they were flying. Like you, I didn't get race numbers, so not much could be done. I've wondered as well if their cheating cost someone a Kona slot.

Julie Porter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

But a lot of cheaters continue to cheat even if they suck. Look at Kelly Roberts and Oiselle. They wouldn't stop cheating (and probably still are cheating) even though Kelly Roberts could never podium or win more than a prize raffle.

Are you talking about the BQ or Bust Kelly Roberts? When did she cheat?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelly Roberts bandited a few races. I'm not sure if she ever cheated, she is just a dumbass really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let's please not divert this into a kelly roberts thread. thanks for understanding.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would seek out the RD at the finish line and report it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This wasn't a bit of opportunistic drafting, it was premeditated & planned outside assistance.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You learn something new everyday, people will seriously jump on course solely to let an athlete draft them... its high level cheating(aka performance enhancement) and I'd report it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way the course is set up this was pre planned. They each had blinking lights on their bike which I thought was odd for the racer but makes sense to find each other. Where the non racer entered the course was planned and where he left the course was planned. They knew exactly what they were doing, I let the RD know but I doubt anything will come of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BumbleBrian20 wrote:
What do/would you do if you saw cheating during a race? Do you call it out, tell an official or let it go?

I'd post the race details on ST and let the stwitch hunt begin.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My money is on the Trilogy series in Miami :)

racehd wrote:
BumbleBrian20 wrote:
What do/would you do if you saw cheating during a race? Do you call it out, tell an official or let it go?

I'd post the race details on ST and let the stwitch hunt begin.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating - what do you do? [blueluna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueluna wrote:
That's funny you brought up the couple at IM Louisville. I was in the process of passing somebody about 20 mi into the bike race when someone shouted at me to "move that shit!". It was the same couple you described and they were flying. Like you, I didn't get race numbers, so not much could be done. I've wondered as well if their cheating cost someone a Kona slot.

Could you go back and look at the race pix to find a number, perhaps?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next