Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian car buyers: anyone use a service like unhaggle.com?
Quote | Reply
Wifie and I are looking to get her a new vehicle in the coming weeks. We are very short on free time these days and I don't want to waste time talking with car dealers or emailing back and forth with a bunch of different dealerships. Seems reasonable to spend $100 to get someone else to do that for me, but I wonder if you truly get the best deal that way. Also, I have never bought a new car so the process is a bit foreign to me.

FWIW looking at either a Hyundai Santa Fe XL or Kia Sorrento (essentially the same vehicle).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian car buyers: anyone use a service like unhaggle.com? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you know you want the Santa Fe XL or the Kia? Have you seen them? Driven them? If so, that's most of the process... if all you've got left is price, you're laughing - no reputable dealership will lose a deal over price, but I've seen many customers drive 200km to save 50 bucks and then be amazed when "their" dealer - i.e. the one that's closest to them, where they'd like to service - you know, the one that sponsors the local soccer team and donates prizes to the school raffles? - doesn't offer them great service or go to bat for them when things go south.

The best "deal" isn't only about the price - do you like the salesperson / dealership? Do they offer a level of service that transcends (i.e. if you live 10km from them, will they pick up / drop off for service? Will they provide you a loaner car? Do they have other value-add services that go beyond saving a little $$?) Pick the where you want to buy the car, and talk to them... if they're assholes, leave. Go where you feel good.

Have you considered the Mazda CX-9?
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian car buyers: anyone use a service like unhaggle.com? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have driven the santa fe, seen the sorrento but not driven.

There is currently a great deal on a 2017 santa fe at our local dealer. It was a rental fleet vehicle so has some kms and isn't 'new' but comes with new warranty. The only problem is that dealership has notoriously negative reviews.

The sorrento is about the same price for a new vehicle , slightly fewer bells and whistles (which aren't a huge deal), smaller engine (but I have a truck, so if we ever need to tow we are covered) and has great customer service.

We already crossed the Mazda off the list. Were also looking at used Nissan Pathfinder.

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian car buyers: anyone use a service like unhaggle.com? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
There is currently a great deal on a 2017 santa fe at our local dealer. It was a rental fleet vehicle so has some kms and isn't 'new' but comes with new warranty. The only problem is that dealership has notoriously negative reviews.

Sorry, I don't mean to side track and you've probably thought this through, but.....

Former rental? I'd seriously reconsider that part of it.

As for unhaggle, a friend of mine bought a car last year and used it. He said he was going to negotiate on his own and use it and compare but in the end he just used it and was happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go test drive the Kia. Maybe they are better now, but when I bought my car a few years ago the Kia's felt very "cheap".
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian car buyers: anyone use a service like unhaggle.com? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a little unsettled by the former rental aspect. But, there are no major repairs or accidents reported, Carfax is clean, etc. Do rental companies take poor care of their fleet? Is their maintenance not up to par?

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian car buyers: anyone use a service like unhaggle.com? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Go test drive the Kia. Maybe they are better now, but when I bought my car a few years ago the Kia's felt very "cheap".

A friend just bought a sorrento and loves it. He is a very detail oriented, ocd type of guy and I know he wouldn't get one if it wasn't up to his standards. Maybe he just went in with low expectations, but he loves the value, the warranty, and the dealership here is great. Seems like the vehicle gets a lot of favourable reviews. To me, it seems like they are were Hyundai was a few years ago in terms of making headway in North American markets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost used it, kept working different dealers off each other. Honda was harder to get discounts from than any company I had bought from previously. Toyota was impossible.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I am a little unsettled by the former rental aspect. But, there are no major repairs or accidents reported, Carfax is clean, etc. Do rental companies take poor care of their fleet? Is their maintenance not up to par?

It probably varies from rental company to company. But expect them all to do as absolute little as possible. For accidents, if they self-insure they may not get reported.

Mostly, people drive the piss out of them.

Depending on mileage and age it might not be horrible, but I've shied away from it. Maybe others on here have had a positive experience?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I was a parts manager at a GM dealership for over 20 years, I'd buy a rental buyback in a heartbeat. All the quality of new without the first year depreciation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't necessarily have an issue buying an SUV rental unit; mostly families that drive them, they don't get the crap kicked out of them like the smaller cars do...

Does the dealer have negative reviews on sales or service or both? If only sales, and you can choke back the experience to get the deal but then get good service, it might be ok... good for you for thinking local. I'm not sure a service could help you negotiate on that rental unit?

I have to ask (Mazda is one of my clients) : Why did you cross the Mazda off your list?
Quote Reply