Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4 runner drivers/fans-buy 17' now or wait for 18'
Quote | Reply
So I'm in the market for a new 4 runner, mainly for the Mrs. Would like to buy used but newer used models seem to be priced close to that of new.
In all the research I've done, not likely to be many changes to the exterior, some interior upgrades which doesn't necessarily appeal to me, and a possible new engine. The main thing is they will go up substantially in base price.Not allot of data out there.
Question is would you purchase a 17 now or wait for the 18?
Quote Reply
Re: 4 runner drivers/fans-buy 17' now or wait for 18' [kodyw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that sales volume is currently down, so average dealer discounts are strong. Rates, if you need to finance anything, are solid as well. That combines to say, buy now and take the savings. An '18 will drop in value immediately just like a '17 the moment it's off the lot anyway; might as well have a fatter wallet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right that there is not a lot of data out there and my understanding is that no one knows if the 2018 will be the 6th generation 4runner or not.

Purchased a new 4runner in Sept 2016 and have been reading threads on a 4runner forum since (www.toyota-4runner.org).

There is a pretty good thread on that forum comparing the 5th generation 4runner to the 3rd generation tacoma - which has the engine hypothesized to go in the 6th gen 4runner that might be an interesting read.

I am in the NE and unless things have changed, the dealer had a single 4runner on the lot and they had to do a "dealer swap" to get the one I wanted and Toyota was not offering any financing deals or specials on it.

All that being said, I would buy now. If the 2018 is still a 5th generation, then there will really be no difference and you have the benefit of knowing all the "kinks" have been worked out. If the 2018 is the 6th Generation, then you might have to deal with new generation gremlins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a '17 Highlander Hybrid. For what I wanted the price was actually a lot less going from '16 to '17.

They dropped the Hybrid Premium from ~5k to ~1.4k. They introduced Hybrid into lower trims which created an 8 seat version vs 7 (which lets me keep the third row folded down til needed and corrals dogs in the back). They also made s ton of previously expensive safety features standard. It dropped the starting price from just over $50kish to $36k. So- just pointing out the prices don't always go up.

I think from what I read the safety and technology on the 4Runner is pretty far behind the other models- so depends if that is important to you. There is also an insurance discount for a lot of safety features- so that could factor into total cost.

I was glad I waited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy a GMC Yukon XL Denali.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 runner drivers/fans-buy 17' now or wait for 18' [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think from what I read the safety and technology on the 4Runner is pretty far behind the other models- so depends if that is important to you. There is also an insurance discount for a lot of safety features- so that could factor into total cost.

Couldn't agree with this more. If you don't need a body on frame (BOF), the Highlander is going to have better technology and safety features.

It seems to me that since there isn't much competition in this space (BOF), Toyota has decided that the 4Runner will sell just as well without the latest technology. It sure didn't stop me from buying one last year.

Also, not sure that anyone cross shops a Yukon - they appear to be >20K more.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 runner drivers/fans-buy 17' now or wait for 18' [p4ckfill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses.
We both like the solid platform. Tech stuff not as important. I'm done with GMs after three Tahoes, they keep getting more expensive and the quality has gone down with each one. The last one has been a total disappointment. We drove 4runners 18 years ago and they were solid. I don't think I want to have the first year of the new style even if it does come out.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 runner drivers/fans-buy 17' now or wait for 18' [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would buy a GMC Yukon XL Denali.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I bought a 16 4 Runner and we both love it--plenty of towing power and getting over 18 mpg for mixed highway/city driving. The dealer moved a little on price and we got functional third row sto and go seating. We expect to have it a decade or so with no problems.

Like others have suggested, you may have a dealer more willing to negotiate now rather than when a new model comes out. And, the current model is proven and holds its value My 2 cents -- buy now. 4 Runner owners are loyal -- we will buy another in a decade. Engineered to last 250k or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little off topic, but I found this fascinating:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/...-2-trucks-1791138676

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: 4 runner drivers/fans-buy 17' now or wait for 18' [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
It's a little off topic, but I found this fascinating:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/...-2-trucks-1791138676

Interesting article. I always assumed the 4Runner was on the Tacoma frame.
Quote Reply