Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much does a non-integrated set up "cost" in time/wattage?
Quote | Reply
Greetings everyone -

I'm considering upgrading my current ride (2014 BMC TM02) to a new ride (2018 Speed Concept). The BMC is a very fast bike and fits me very, very well (longish top tube).

My reasons for wanting to upgrade are mainly that the Speed Concept has a much nicer and cleaner setup with an integrated cockpit and front brake with no exposed cables, and the integrated bento box and storage. The BMC has no integration, an exposed front brake and cable, and no storage options built into the frame. The derailler and rear brake cables are run internally but are exposed as they exit the aerobars into the top tube.

Before I determine whether to plunk down the $ needed to make up diff between selling the BMC and getting the Speed Concept, can some of the aero experts here give me a sense of what I'm losing time, wattage, or aero wise with the non-integrated, exposed cable set up of the BMC? Don't need precise numbers or anything, just a sense of whether or not its a significant cost/loss.

I already have aero F/R and disc wheels, along with a powermeter, so buying those as "upgrades" isn't needed.

Thanks in advance!!
Quote Reply
Re: How much does a non-integrated set up "cost" in time/wattage? [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing if you do it right and it can also be faster.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does a non-integrated set up "cost" in time/wattage? [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BMC TT bikes have never been particularly aero, not bad but certainly not as well designed tube shapes as Trek or Cervelo. Then there is the lack of integration and a generic brake. You can kinda fix some of these problems with TrRig brakes and a really nice cockpit, but this can be about a 1500$ upgrade.

Even with these upgrades you are probably going to be less aero than Kiley's Felt in the aero bike shootout. Looking at all the different data out there, the safe bet is that the Trek is a bit faster than a P5 at yaw angles greater than 5-7 degrees and a bit slower at lower yaw angles. Putting all the guesstimates together I would guess that a cleanly built BMC could get within 10 watts of the SC. Since yours sounds less than optimal, 15 seems a reasonable guess.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does a non-integrated set up "cost" in time/wattage? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Curious why you would think the BMC would be that competitive with the SC? Less frontal area and the fork crown on the BMC looks like crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would depend heavily on how you have your TMO2 setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you within 1 minute of KQ? Seems like a colossal waste of money, but this is triathlon and this is Slowtwitch.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: How much does a non-integrated set up "cost" in time/wattage? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

i'm curious how you would make a TM02 faster than the 3rd fastest bike currently made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. What I'm taking away is the the Speed Concept is likely going to be a bit faster overall, though I could improve the BMC a bit with TriRig and better cockpit. Whether or not that improvement is worth the money either improving the BMC or buying the SC is another question entirely. And, no, I'm no where near close to a KQ...I have to learn to run rather than shuffle first, and I can't unfortunately buy running speed! :-)

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: How much does a non-integrated set up "cost" in time/wattage? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Grill wrote:

i'm curious how you would make a TM02 faster than the 3rd fastest bike currently made.

3rd fastest bike, if only that meant something...

People seem to be forgetting that rider position is the most important part of CdA, and simply saying that a frame is fast conveniently overlooks the fact that the rider interaction with the frame is not a constant and will change according to the frame and equipment on said frame (i.e. moving wheels from one frame to another can account for a large swing).
Quote Reply