Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy
Quote | Reply
The Golden State's already overtaken France and Brazil in terms of economic output, and it continues to prove that the U.S. is the world's most powerful economy (even despite its manifest fiscal woes) by far. Now, California's possibly in a position to move past the United Kingdom and into fifth place on the list of the world's economies:

"Frustrated about unaffordable housing or clogged freeways? Think of it as the price you pay for living in one of the world’s largest economies. California’s economy ranked sixth in the world in 2016, according to rankings released by Palo Alto economist Stephen Levy on Friday. That’s the same as the year before, when California overtook France and Brazil. But the state’s economy isn’t stagnating; California’s economy is growing so quickly that Levy thinks the state will overtake the United Kingdom this year for No. 5."

California economy set to become world's fifth largest | The Sacramento Bee

Though many of us complain about the lazy nature of certain generational cohorts, it's still the case that Americans work more than anyone in the industrialized world, according to an ABC News article. This effect gives a dynamism to our economy that few other countries can hope to match, at least in the near- and mid-term futures. This is also no different in the Golden State. Americans work hard (and then play hard), it seems. :-)

Americans Work More Than Anyone - ABC News

What if California were a country? | World Economic Forum

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 15, 17 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Canada is Texas. Who knew? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky = Bangladesh

Mississippi = Angola

That explains a lot.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the rule was you could only post bad things about California? The allowed topics are high taxes, housing costs, bankruptcy, Fresno, Mexicans, stupid Berkeley students, Moonbeam, fall into the ocean, The end is nigh, I'm moving to Arizona, Leonardo DiCaprio.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
I thought the rule was you could only post bad things about California? The allowed topics are high taxes, housing costs, bankruptcy, Fresno, Mexicans, stupid Berkeley students, Moonbeam, fall into the ocean, The end is nigh, I'm moving to Arizona, Leonardo DiCaprio.

Well, I've been gone for awhile. But if that's the rule, that's the rule I suppose. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Kentucky = Bangladesh

Mississippi = Angola

That explains a lot.

Why yes. Yes, it does. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

You forgot fires, riots, and mudslides.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Well, I've been gone for awhile. But if that's the rule, that's the rule I suppose. ;-)

Maybe not a rule, but a definite trend. ;-) If everything I knew about California was learned here, I'd think it was pretty horrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
schroeder wrote:

You forgot fires, riots, and mudslides.

Yes!
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and traffic. Golden State Hate just isn't the same without Forge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad the Bush administration didn't see that map before the invasion of Iraq. The soldiers would have enjoyed Nevada a lot more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
The Golden State's already overtaken France and Brazil in terms of economic output, and it continues to prove that the U.S. is the world's most powerful economy (even despite its manifest fiscal woes) by far. Now, California's possibly in a position to move past the United Kingdom and into fifth place on the list of the world's economies:

It proves that maybe California should separate.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

There are no provisions for secession, or separation, in the Constitution. I think we settled the issue of secession or "CalExit" from these United States back in 1860 to 1865. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

There are no provisions for secession, or separation, in the Constitution. I think we settled the issue of secession or "CalExit" from these United States back in 1860 to 1865. ;-)

"CalExit" may be DOA, but there's currently a movement by the rural counties in the northern part of California to secede and form their own state. Not surprisingly, these counties overwhelmingly voted for Trump.
Last edited by: spool: Jul 15, 17 21:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Really? 1865?
It ain't 1865 in the Valley anymore (maybe some place else?).

Fuel for Tim Draper and his team. Although he seems to be a little bit quiet nowadays (no wonder, given the family turmoil).
But there is hope that some of the Tech corporate shakers and movers may take more of a lead....
----on the other hand, Techies hate Politics.

So there may be nothing happening with CA still stuck in 1865 after all.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

"CalExit" may be DOA, but there's currently a movement by the rural counties in the northern part of California to secede and form their own state. Not surprisingly, these counties overwhelmingly voted for Trump.

Current? People have been wanting to do that since at least the 70s! Goes between splitting the state in two (right around Fresno) to up to 7 different states.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were California, as an internal matter I'd be more worried about that nascent movement among some of the northern areas of the state to secede and form a new state, something one of the other commenters alluded to within this thread.

While I know that our U.S. Constitution doesn't allow for the states to secede -- and we settled that question for good with the surrender of Confederate general Robert E. Lee's forces at Appomattox, Virginia in 1865 -- I'm not exactly sure how intra-state secession is handled, or whether that's even allowed by the "several states" and their constitutions or not.

My first-pass answer would be that that's an internal matter for California to work out, in accordance with our federalist way of life here in the U.S. It may just develop that the Golden State divides into two (or even three, if popular media depictions of dissatisfaction in the Central Valley are accurate) states. I doubt it, but the question exists, nonetheless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not totally internal since the latest proposal for the state of Jefferson includes a chunk of Southern Oregon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
If I were California, as an internal matter I'd be more worried about that nascent movement among some of the northern areas of the state to secede and form a new state, something one of the other commenters alluded to within this thread.

Nascent? The notion has been alive since 1855.

It is amusing to hear stories about people with CA license plates are cut off or given rude gestures in "red" states as if everyone from this state is an SF liberal. When the rural parts of the states are every bit was "red" as rural Texas, etc. Complete with scary separatist compounds, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Nascent? The notion has been alive since 1855.

It is amusing to hear stories about people with CA license plates are cut off or given rude gestures in "red" states as if everyone from this state is an SF liberal. When the rural parts of the states are every bit was "red" as rural Texas, etc. Complete with scary separatist compounds, etc.

I think it's that the Bay Area and various other coastal "liberal" enclaves in the Golden State (plus Hollywood) have such an outsized effect on the culture at large here in the U.S., and they're not afraid to admit it. Add to that the growing influence of alternative media -- especially that which emanates from the right side of the political spectrum -- and it's as Mr. Schroeder said earlier in thread: people are beginning to think that California is some sort of high-tax funny farm with bad roads that's been overrun by illegal immigrants in search of free health care and all manner of welfare benefits, or something. And it's really not, to be honest.

Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's been around for a while. The Oregon/Cal Jefferson movement was biggest in 1941. This iteration has garnered no support from any Oregon counties yet. The biggest problem is that the formerly deeply red rural southern Oregon is being re-colonized by those damn liberals from the Bay Area. Same with Grass Valley and lots of other Central Valley locales.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Bwaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaa!

If California lost its federal funding, it would be bankrupt in a matter of months. Turn off federal highway funds and watch the infrastructure crumble. Watch the schools close within a year and the colleges to close shortly thereafter. Hospitals would be shuttered as Medicare and Medicaid recipients were no long able to pay for treatment. Watch what happens to communities when the military bases leave. There would be a run on the banks as they lose their FDIC insurance. Pulling ATF and FBI would cause chaos and empower the gangs and drug traffickers. Say goodbye to LAX and many other major airports.

I hope you were kidding.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Look Out UK: California Due to Become World's Fifth-Largest Economy [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Bwaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaa!

If California lost its federal funding, it would be bankrupt in a matter of months. Turn off federal highway funds and watch the infrastructure crumble. Watch the schools close within a year and the colleges to close shortly thereafter. Hospitals would be shuttered as Medicare and Medicaid recipients were no long able to pay for treatment. Watch what happens to communities when the military bases leave. There would be a run on the banks as they lose their FDIC insurance. Pulling ATF and FBI would cause chaos and empower the gangs and drug traffickers. Say goodbye to LAX and many other major airports.

I hope you were kidding.

Didn't someone post about a month ago that California voted for state funded health care? I thought that the health care costs alone were more than the entire states budget.
Quote Reply