Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WTS Hamburg
Quote | Reply
i don't see a thread yet on Hamburg so i thought i would start one. obviously the highlight will be the WC in the mixed sprint relay with team USA looking to defend its title. i think it will be a tight race with team UK with JB anchoring.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks really tough to pick that relay. Nobody looks clearly ahead of the field. Australia looks the strongest top to bottom, but that anchor leg is so important it is hard to bet against a Brownlee. Spain and South Africa both have a weaker women's spot but if they are in contention at the 4th leg they could certainly win. As for the US, I think they could put together 2 teams with podium potential, but it might be tough for either to grab a win. In any case it should be an interesting race.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well put Dumples! Hard to disagree with any of that.

This will be my 2nd year to spectate the race. Missed 16, but was there in 15 when Luis led France dominated the field. Looking at the start lists today & noticed they're only bringing 1 lady. (who just became my new triathlon crush) That's dissapointing from a competition perspective.

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The men's race ought to be really intense with Alarza, Mola and Gomez already with substantial points and Jonny gunning for his share. Neither Varga nor Shaw are on the start list so perhaps Jonny will take initiative again to lead the swim. I bet he'll be right up the very front near the end of the bike after that transpired in Yokohama. The run's going to be one heck of a drag race to watch. They're calling for cool cloudy conditions with a fair chance of rain which team GB should be happy for.

I'm happy to see Sophie Coldwell back for this race. She and Flora really put on a great TTT at Yokohama and it could be interesting if Jessica Learmonth and Lucy Hall got in on the bike action. If the rain does come those girls are solid enough bikers that they might just get away. If Flora is on the form she's shown almost all of the last year she'll likely have one more in the W column.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy has looked great this year but it is hard to tell to what extent her running has improved versus a down turn in the rest of the field. The best 4 Brits and Jorgensen have been consistently 1-2 notches better than Duffy on the run, and they are all absent this year. The best we have are some splits against ladies like Ueda, Gentle, Zaferes. Duffy has compared favorably to all those. One thing seems clear though: Duffy runs better than most off a hard bike and does best when she is able to dictate the race tactics. I thinks she wins this weekend but has to run head to head with someone better than she has run against so far this year.
Last edited by: Dumples: Jul 12, 17 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you talking about the duffy of the past year or the duffy from before that because duffy has been every bit as fast as the UK women on the run post rio? she outran all of them when it mattered in cozumel last year:

http://wts.triathlon.org/...final_cozumel/281502

only non beat her by 16 seconds on the run in yokohama but she had a 2 minute lead and wasn't exactly sprinting in at the finish:

http://wts.triathlon.org/...hlon_yokohama/307210

both of these bikes were flat and hardly exhausting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean that Duffy has been running great since post-Rio, but that all the fastest ladies in the build up to Rio have not run as fast as they were in Rio and in the months leading up to it. Duffy beats Jorgensen by 1 minute in Cozumel, clearly a good result but not both ladies at their best. This year has yet to see any of the Brits racing in shape and uninjured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it looks like JB is a scratch for hamburg. is he hurt? would he skip the individual race on saturday and just anchor the relay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
it looks like JB is a scratch for hamburg. is he hurt? would he skip the individual race on saturday and just anchor the relay?

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IIRC he needed Hamburg to fill in his dance calendar of 5 races in the regular season. This will really make it tough to defeat Spanish armada. It's too bad as it would have been a heck of a race.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relay predictions: Aus, Esp, USA, RSA, Aut, Gbr, Fra, Ger in that order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how can you pick spain over the usa when spain's women are crippling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/2017_ITU_World_Triathlon_Series_Hamburg__P6364401/?page=unread#unread

Sorry just realised this thread was done before mine, maybe the mods could merge the two?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
are you talking about the duffy of the past year or the duffy from before that because duffy has been every bit as fast as the UK women on the run post rio? she outran all of them when it mattered in cozumel last year:

http://wts.triathlon.org/...final_cozumel/281502

only non beat her by 16 seconds on the run in yokohama but she had a 2 minute lead and wasn't exactly sprinting in at the finish:

http://wts.triathlon.org/...hlon_yokohama/307210

both of these bikes were flat and hardly exhausting.

Other than the Grand Final (can't remember what Brit women actualy raced in that) I don't remember Duffy out running any top Brit women, as pointed out there hasn't been an inform Stanford/Jenkins/Holland/Stimpson this season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:

He was advised by a doctor to sit it out which is a shame as he'd just finished a training camp with a few others (Royle was one, dont think Ali was there) and looked like he was blowing everyone else away on the sprints.
Last edited by: Jackets: Jul 15, 17 0:51
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
mag900 wrote:

He was advised by a doctor to sit it out which is a shame as he'd just finished a training camp with a few others (Royle was one, dont think Ali was there) and looked like he was blowing everyone else away on the sprints.

From his twitter feed-

"Not been 100% since Spain. Gutted to miss Hamburg. Following doctors orders. Need to find out why i have low magnesium. Back home now"

It would appear he's feeling crap due to low magnesium? It's such a shame to have him miss out on what would have been an incredible race or races including the relay.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't wanna be one of those 'back door' brag type people, but...

;)

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK moto draft alert. I love Flora dearly but she's getting a huge frequent tow by the photomoto. It was a great aid dropping the two other gals and is helping her pull away.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
OK moto draft alert. I love Flora dearly but she's getting a huge frequent tow by the photomoto. It was a great aid dropping the two other gals and is helping her pull away.

Hugh

come on. she was pulling the entire time before she pulled away. it actually was fairly brilliant -- tow kasper and learmonth away from the field and then leave them in no man's land to fry their legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

come on. she was pulling the entire time before she pulled away. it actually was fairly brilliant -- tow kasper and learmonth away from the field and then leave them in no man's land to fry their legs.

Another great race for Flora. It's hard to imagine her loosing any this year without illness or injury.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, nasty crash, hope every one is ok.

I got the top 2 predicted correctly. I think I picked Zafares for 3rd, and she would've got if she didn't leave T2 in last in her group.

The coverage kind of sucked - the leaderboard didn't work and they never left the on-screen athlete splits on past 15th-ish, so unless your athlete is in the top 15-ish, you don't know if they're 16th or 40th or crashed.

They need to up their game for the online and on-screen coverage.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who was that in the partially brown(?) trisuit serving and causing Alarza to crash?

Gabor Faldum I think...
Last edited by: messien: Jul 15, 17 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pevtsov?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You'd think ITU have been racing in Hamburg long enough now to actually measure a course accurately.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuming Alarza crashed out after me putting £15 on him on a EW bet!
Quote Reply

Prev Next