Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Profile design aeria ultimate stem?
Quote | Reply
Anyone bought this stem? It seems like a cheaper option than the sigma X and looks good for cleaning up my front end. any comments on how it functions if you have it? i would be running mechanical so would be nice to see how the cable routing could be improved with this stem.

http://www.profile-design.com/...aeria_ultimate_stem/

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Jun 27, 17 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in this as well.

It does seem like the Sigma X with some differences. For instance there is no cable stop for the front brake cable. I guess the first place to begin is if the size works with your fit. I think fit trumps tidy cables. Since there are only 2 sizes if neither work with your fit then its a non starter. It also seems like more useful if your cables go through the top tube rather than the down tube.

It does seem a bit odd that something like this doesn't have more details available. Even a photo with an example of cabling would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aeria Ultimate stem is intended to lower the stack of the bar centre so the matched bar can hit the same total stack as an undermount bar, but in overmount. So it's equivalent to a -22deg angle on the 100mm and a -24deg on the 70mm. Which may mean it's not going to be an ideal option from a fit perspective.

It's not designed for mechanical gear cables to run through the stem - they go straight from extensions to frame. Di2 cables route into the side of the stem and out over the steerer. As does the rear brake cable if you have a bar with a hole in the back of the clamp.

There is a cable stop for direct brakes - it's a threaded piece that goes into the cable exit on the base of the stem.

It weighs quite a lot, which is for a good reason that will become clear later.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thanks for the details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The Aeria Ultimate stem is intended to lower the stack of the bar centre so the matched bar can hit the same total stack as an undermount bar, but in overmount. So it's equivalent to a -22deg angle on the 100mm and a -24deg on the 70mm. Which may mean it's not going to be an ideal option from a fit perspective.

It's not designed for mechanical gear cables to run through the stem - they go straight from extensions to frame. Di2 cables route into the side of the stem and out over the steerer. As does the rear brake cable if you have a bar with a hole in the back of the clamp.

There is a cable stop for direct brakes - it's a threaded piece that goes into the cable exit on the base of the stem.

It weighs quite a lot, which is for a good reason that will become clear later.

You were involved in the design of it, correct ?
If so, congratulations. It's beautiful. I started taking apart a bike to rebuild using this and to use for aero and product testing.
I love it and passed my comments on to Tim.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
You were involved in the design of it, correct ?
If so, congratulations. It's beautiful. I started taking apart a bike to rebuild using this and to use for aero and product testing.
I love it and passed my comments on to Tim.

Thanks, my input to the stem was mostly the fit coordinates. The bar has much more of my input.
Thanks for your feedback, Tim was quite happy :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize for my ignorance but the description says its a -17 degree stem - how does that equate to -22/24?

Also any idea if you can fit a SRAM blipbox in them stem (I suspect not!)?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [kev1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear - we're talking about this stem http://www.profile-design.com/...aeria_ultimate_stem/
Rather than this one http://www.profile-design.com/...ct/stems/aeria-stem/

No on the blipbox front. You may need something like this for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha - very true!!

Yep that's the one. Everywhere I see it advertised it's described as 73 degree?? For example;

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/...-8-mm-p65569/s158328

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [kev1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're wrong. Not just about the angle. Also mentions a road bar that was cancelled.
As the PD site says - the stem has a 12mm stack from the top of the head tube. Actual angle isn't published so stores must be assuming -17.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great - thanks for clarifying!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi cyclenutnz, you seem to the the man to ask about this. You say that the Aeria Ultimate isn't designed for mechanical gears, could you recommend a good aero stem for us mechanical riders?

I guess a tougher question is, how much is a good aero stem worth in watts compared to a standard stem? I just bought myself the hong-fu HB019 aerobars to upgrade my front end, but I just have a standard stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With an overmount bar like the HB019 I'm not keen on pushing mechanical cables through any stem - it's not nice for the cable path. I haven't tested the aero impact but I'm not convinced there is a great deal to be gained by crossing straight from the back of the extensions into the stem vs maintaining a nice cable path to the frame. The fully exposed cables are still hidden behind aerobar hardware and BTA if you have it.

You could do it with the Tririg, but I'm not sure what the availability status of their stems is like at the moment.

Overall the stem is very low on the list of things I'd change in pursuit of aerodynamics. Its primary purpose is fit. The Aeria Ultimate stem was designed to give nice cable routing with that bar and hide the bolts. But most of that won't matter once the key element it was designed for is revealed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
You could do it with the Tririg, but I'm not sure what the availability status of their stems is like at the moment.
The TriRig Sigma X stem is in stock and shipping. Thanks! http://www.tririg.com/Sigma

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Anyone bought this stem?

i've got one. and wrote a bit about it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. An unrevealed feature and no speculation from ST on what it is?

My guess is that it will eventually mount a rearward Profile-designed bento box (without bolts on the frame) or a frontward Profile-designed aero bottle without additional hardware. I don't see a computer mount requiring more mass from the stem.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there room for a Di2 junction inside it?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that it's probably this thing shown during eurobike last year. I am budgeting for it already.

Full article at https://bikeboard.at/...heiten-2017-th226265

Timtek wrote:
Wow. An unrevealed feature and no speculation from ST on what it is?

My guess is that it will eventually mount a rearward Profile-designed bento box (without bolts on the frame) or a frontward Profile-designed aero bottle without additional hardware. I don't see a computer mount requiring more mass from the stem.

Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 14, 17 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That's an interesting system. I'm still a bit torn on nosecone and BTA bottles though. I know they're fast in the tunnel, but I'm not crazy about how it affects steering/handling compared to a frame mounted aero bottle (I use an Elite Chrono CX and love it).

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Wow. That's an interesting system. I'm still a bit torn on nosecone and BTA bottles though. I know they're fast in the tunnel, but I'm not crazy about how it affects steering/handling compared to a frame mounted aero bottle (I use an Elite Chrono CX and love it).

how does it affect steering/handling?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight on the bars are a higher center of gravity as compared to a bottle on the downtube (handling). I'm guessing the additional weight on the bars also affects steering smoothness. The further forward the bottle, the more of an effect.

Personally I only need to run one bottle in a race so I don't have to worry about carrying multiple bottles. I completely understand the need for carrying multiple bottles and the advantage of a bta straw but as I mentioned, my preference is just an aero bottle on the downtube like the TT bikes in world tour races (although some run it on the seat tube).

Thought I think the stem is likely to accommodate that nosecone bottle above, another possibility would be a BTA bottle mount like Bennett's old BMC: http://www.tririg.com/...nett_TM01&num=11

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz, I have been looking at the aeria ultimate system more and more. Judging from the pictures on slowtwitch, the aero bars only have one cutout at the center of the bar. So that means it has to be paired with the aeria stem. Otherwise, there's no way for the rear brake cable to exit the aerobar. Is that accurate?

The picture I am refering to is the one below. I don't see any exit hole for brake cables on the rear of the bar.

Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 16, 17 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The holes in the base of the wing for accessing the pad mount bracket are enlarged at the rear to act as a cable exit

Not the greatest quality pic sorry, bars are on a frame hanging on the wall so just pointed the phone up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. That's very clear how the cables would work.

Ideally I want the entire system but not sure if the stem will work well with the Orbea Ordu OMP's spacer.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 16, 17 21:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next