Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm...
Quote | Reply
Dies. Oy vey.

Altitude sickness apparently isn't warded off by veganism. Who knew?

"A woman who died of altitude sickness while climbing Mount Everest took on the challenge to prove that 'vegans can do anything'.

Maria Strydom died on Saturday afternoon after having to turn back from the final leg of the expedition because she felt unwell.

She returned to Camp 4, the last camp before the mountain's summit, on Friday where she spent the night but died from lack of oxygen the following day."

To me, this was one of those '"Hey, look at me" stunts that completely underestimated how truly dangerous climbing the world's tallest peaks still is -- despite the nature of mass climbing expeditions up Everest these days. Certain of the trails leading up to that mountain's summit still contain the frozen corpses of some 200 climbers who died trying to make the ascent over the years, from what I've read. So while it's great that this woman -- who was an experienced climber -- felt veganism was something that needed defending (and I used to be a lacto-ovo vegetarian for some time) it's not so great she lost her life in the process. Those big mountains are still killers and we're puny lifeforms in the face of them, for all that many of us feel we 'can do anything'.

Melbourne woman Maria Strydom dies on Mount Everest | Daily Mail Online

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think we should be connecting the two (Vegetarianism and Inability to Survive Mt. Everest)

Firstly:

Secondly: We don't even have correlation. Just a data point. One climber.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[insert distasteful Hillary Step joke here]

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one like to watch all shark attacks with a nice strawberry sundae.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I don't think we should be connecting the two (Vegetarianism and Inability to Survive Mt. Everest)

Firstly:

I'm not connecting the two. I'm noting the irony of it all, is all. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one like to watch all shark attacks with a nice strawberry sundae.

So there is a correlation between shark attacks and strawberry sundaes.

Whew. Since I prefer chocolate sundaes, I can go back to spear fishing without anything to worry about. Good to know.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 14, 17 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know when a chocolate sundae tastes best?!

It's right after you put on some sleek dark clothes, and thrash around on the surface of the water like a seal. Never tried it; just been told that.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Do you know when a chocolate sundae tastes best?!

It's right after you put on some sleek dark clothes, and thrash around on the surface of the water like a seal. Never tried it; just been told that.

That exact thought was running through my head when I did the Escape from Alcatraz way back in the day. Great White Central in that water. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

Firstly:

I think it sad that you have to point that out.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

H- wrote:
I think it sad that you have to point that out.

Well, I used to have a reputation here as quite the troll, so it's understandable that some would misundertake my motivations. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Science has proven that there is no ice cream available in the ocean. Science has proven that sharks love ice cream (tested on rats and dogs proving all living creatures love ice cream). Therefore, sharks tend to attack humans during the months when they are most likely to be full of ice cream.

Duh.

Why do you hate science?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
"A woman who died of altitude sickness while climbing Mount Everest took on the challenge to prove that 'vegans can do anything'.

All she ended up proving is that this particular vegan couldn't.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of some of the benefits of being vegan described in this documentary published a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
Reminds me of some of the benefits of being vegan described in this documentary published a few years ago.

Hahahahahahaha! That's funny! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" ...used to have a reputation here as quite the troll, "

Used to?
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Used to?

Like former alcoholics, I'm completely reformed now. :-)

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 14, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are doing swimingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Used to?

Like former alcoholics, I'm completed reformed now. :-)

I have to say, it is really quite disconcerting.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Used to?

Like former alcoholics, I'm completed reformed now. :-)

I have to say, it is really quite disconcerting.

It is for me, too. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were vegan. Or was that mojozenmaster?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Climbs Mt. Everest to Prove Vegans Aren't Weak and, Ummmm... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
I thought you were vegan. Or was that mojozenmaster?

I used to be. I went back to carnivore a few years back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

Firstly:

Don't laugh, they actually belived at one time that ice cream sales had something to do with polio.

https://www.google.ca/...1kizE-JF4o8rGYAU_tfg
Quote Reply