Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 10 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?
I know some of the womens were racing this past week - I hope you had a blast!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, Ladies!

I did the June Lake Half on Saturday and got absolutely owned by the run. Being from the Coast, racing at 7,500 feet with no acclimation was interesting. I do a lot of backpacking in the high sierras so I'm used to getting up there (10,000 - 14,000 ft) and sucking air. The swim was pretty easy with crystal clear water and nice temps ~65. The bike was easy for me as well since I train on hills a lot. My Garmin showed 2,700 feet of climbing, but the bike felt fast. And then the run. I pretty much went on a 13.1 mile walk. I had conserved a lot of energy on the bike knowing that the run was tough with 1,500 ft of climbing. But, my legs didn't have it. Oh well, I had more time to enjoy the scenery.

Other than the race I did absolutely no training or working out during the week. A nice do-nothing taper.

Now, we are headed out into the sierras for a week of backpacking. So, no workouts until we return. Except for hiking. Lots of hiking.

Cheers!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik -- I hope you had a nice week.

SLOgoing -- I heard almost everyone got owned by that run so way to stick with it. June Lake is on my short list for next year. I hope you have an amazing backpacking trip.

My goals last week were to get back on schedule:

I'm back to my regular swim (3X), bike (3x), run (2-3x), yoga (1-2x), strength (3x), p/rehab (daily) schedule starting Wednesday. Some friends are running a local Independence Day 5K tomorrow so I'm going to run that. It'll be my first 5K race since *cough* 2003 and I hope I remember how to pace and that it's fun.

I'm feeling a little unmotivated still and only did 3 swims, 2 bikes, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, no yoga, and daily p/rehab. I also played racquetball for the first time which was fun.

The 5K was fine. My HR was through the roof and my race strategy turned into "don't die in front of small children on America's birthday" so, you know ... "fine." I was ~2:30 off my last 5K (in 2003) which was hard to swallow. But I know I'm a very different athlete/human now and even if I'm "slow" it is really good for my confidence to go out, work hard, and try my best. And it was enough fun that it made me want to sign up for more pure running races (something I've actively avoided since returning to running a few years ago). In fact, yesterday I did the run leg as part of a relay team for our local sprint tri and I was much less anxious so that's progress -- also, we were the fastest relay team and got cool surfboard medals :D

This week I'm traveling so I'm not sure what my training schedule will look like but I'll try to get in at least 2 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs, 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, and daily p/rehab.

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s, Oh no! I'm sorry about that pinecone but good job making smart decisions. Heal fast. xxx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna, I am so sorry you had to DNF but I think you made a really smart decision. It is so much harder to know when to call it a day, I think.

I hope you're not in too much pain and that the foot feels better really soon.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is high altitude! Congrats on the finish :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the relay win :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: swim 5x, day off from running, keep alternating easy with speed, ride ROAD bike at least once

I swam 4x, had two days off from running, did a nice job alternating easy with fast, and rode my bike!

M: 8 mi run + 1375 yd swim
T: 31 mi bike
W: 8.1 mi run (30 min @7:19 pace) + 2475 yd swim
T: 7.5 mi run + 1000 yd swim + hiked Mt Washington
F: 4 mi walk
S: 10 mi run + 700 yd swim
S: 4.1 mi run (3 x 1 mi 7:13) + 30 min stairmaster + 20 min stationary bike

goals this week: 3 bikes outside (1 done), day off from running, 4 swims

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That just sucks. Good job to stop before making it worse though.

Enjoy your company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice going SLOgoing & SoCalTriCurious! Every race will have its challenges but you responded to them and that's awesome! Sorry to hear about the pinecone Anna - hope you heal up fast!

Last week's goals:
run x 3: win
core/strength x 1: win
mobility/stretch x 1: win
foam roll x 1: win

I had my own challenge to face - not only is the course at Limberlost quite technical, the massive thunderstorms on Friday night served to turn many parts into a muddy quagmire. This seems to be a theme at all the races so far this year, and this was the end of 206km of racing in 10 weeks for me (50k Apr 29 - 100k May 27 - 56k July 8). I'm carrying fatigue, got woken up at 1am to our new canopy tent going airborne on a particularly nasty wind gust in the storm (fortunately noone hurt!), and my left ankle has still been iffy. Anyway - onward.

The course is incredibly beautiful, skirting around a few lakes in the wilderness reserve:

Big rocky sections in some places:

Lots of boardwalks over the streams that criss-cross throughout the area. The corner you can see on this one was actually submerged by the water falling from the lake earlier in the day after the heavy overnight rain.

Lots of shade except in a very few places:

Definitely stayed interesting all day:

The mud was the biggest story of the day, though. There were several stretches on the course where you couldn't avoid stepping into it over your ankle.

I feared for my feet - having wrecked them pretty badly in the mud at Sulphur 6 weeks prior - and for my damaged ankle, which kept finding roots and rocks buried in the mud puddles. I took the camera out for my 2nd loop (it was 4 x 14km laps), then grabbed one of my wimp sticks for the 3rd & 4th to try to keep me from falling or hurting myself too badly to continue.

Having used a fair bit of time taking pics on lap 2, I was kind of up against it to make the 10hr cut off. I thrashed myself pretty hard to run everything I possibly could in the last 2 loops, and made it in with 3m25s left. They actually gave official finish times to anyone who got out for their 4th lap before the 7h30m cutoff, so I wasn't even last; there was another girl (whom I passed on lap 3, passed me back on lap 3, then I passed again & left behind on lap 4) who came in at 9h58m52s and 4 people who came in after 10hrs...the last two of which took almost 10h42m. It was incredibly tough and tiring - if I'd been smart I probably would have called it a day after my 2nd lap, but stubbornness got me through in the end. 61/66 O/A (90 started - 24 DNFs), 20/22 women and 8/8 in W30-39.

My legs are WRECKED. Because I was mostly running downhills for the last 5hrs, my quads are trashed and the calves are beat to crap from all the steep climbs and trying to keep my footing. Shoulders are tight and sore from carrying my bottle and using the pole, but I have a bit of time to take things easy now this big block of racing is done. Need to get back to full strength to build for an early September 50 miler, which will be - gulp - on similar trails.

No goals for this week - just going to play it by ear and try to get lots of rest.

Last edited by: mistressk: Jul 10, 17 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, a good week for the women - well done SLOGoing, SoCal & Mistress K. Sorry to hear about your DNF Anna but I'm sure you made the right decision in the long term. And, there's always next year!

I rode 3 times for just under 90miles. One of those rides was cut short because my elderly neighbour rang me when I was only a few km from home. It was 6.15am and all she was able to mumble was "Help, Sherry, help" so by the time I called an ambulance, got back to her and then stayed with her until she was taken to hospital my riding time was gone. It's also been super hot (30C inside my house at 10pm) so I have preferred to hide in the basement with ice cream/ice water.

The big news is I ran for the first time since last September! It went well and nothing hurt (except my pride when I saw how slow I was) so I'm waiting to hear back from my physio about how to structure my return to running.

This week: 5 rides/150 miles, run x 2 (dependent on getting schedule), strength x 2.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Psyched for you that you can run! I hope your neighbour is okay.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MK your pictures are back. Yay!

Did an aquabike race this weekend. Thought it was going really well. After I finished I found out my time was almost exactly the same as last year. Oh well, that's what I get for not training. Ever since I passed on the half earlier this year I've been rather casual about training. I've got about two months to the next race, so I resolve to actually put together a plan and follow it.

The big news in our household is that I finally convinced hubby to get a bicycle. A torn meniscus is probably going to mean the end of his running, so I've been rooting for him to take up cycling. He went on his first outdoor ride today and did not crash. It will be fun if we can cycle together.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all: congrats on your various adventures this week. It is nice to hear you have been out challenging yourselves and enjoying your health and fitness however the days ended.
I participated in the inaugural CanadaMan Canadawoman Xtreme tri this weekend. I'll give you the Coles Notes version as I could go on st length ( as it did!).
Swim start in the dark at 4:30 am with a clear sky, full moon in the west, sunrise in the east as we went. Water a bit choppy so times were slow even for the speedy ones. It was magical.
Out on the bike through mountainous rural Quebec for 180 Km and 2700m (8800 ft) of climbing. Without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done. In the later half a period of thunderstorms and driving rain and strong crosswinds added to the adventure. Final hill at 179 km was 1km long with 13% grade. Yes. I walked the last few hundred meters.
The run was a combo of run walk. The course takes one to the top of Mont Megantic which one can see in the distance from t2- a long long way away. It is a self supported race with an assistant required for the final 8 km. There are also time cut offs.
In short I had my first DNF. Made the decision at the 25 k mark after 15.5 hours that I was not interested in climbing a mountain in the dark forest.
If you are interested in a description of the fun I missed on the mountain, someone has done it justice on the main forum ( search CanadaMan).
I'm amazed and proud to say about 13 women did finish, the oldest of whom was 66! What a rock star!!
The community, race organizers and volunteers were beyond outstanding. You should visit Lac Megantic and it would be an awesome place for a training camp.
If you consider doing the event, I'd be happy to give more details. It is extreme and not for everyone. I tested my limits and found them.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks y'all!
Congratulations on the race and hooray for the return of your photos, mistressk. You look so proud in the last one.
So glad you were there for your neighbor, Scheherazade -- how lucky. Crossing my fingers for your return to running.
Good work getting after it despite all the recent changes, Dr. Tigerchik.
Tri3, congratulations on the aquabike race and good luck on your shared adventure -- if you have any best practices to get a boy on a bike, do tell.

Quote Reply
Last edited by: Anna s: Jul 12, 17 6:57
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niagirl, that race looks awesome! congrats on suffering through most of it.
Do you think you'll try it again next year?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I would not register to do the whole event again because I don't believe I will ever be a strong enough cyclist to get it done in daylight ( ie 16-17 hours). The final 8km is a mountain climb, not really a run, and took some 3 hours to cover the 8 k. ( 2-3 for those who did it daylight I hear).
However I would really enjoy going back as part of a relay. I loved the swim. I would be ok with the run/climb if I was set up by a strong cyclist to finish in daylight.
There was also a challenging sprint race with big climbs and trail runs. I would do that too.
For those of you who are great cyclists, this is an awesome race. I was pleased to complete to ride.
It looks like mistressk would thrive on the run course. Undoubtedly some of you could do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your race report on the front page, and really enjoyed it -- thanks for sharing.
*holy moly* what a swim, congratulations on facing your fears and meeting your goal.
I am sure you'll be back with a vengeance for the next one.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 10 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, apparently exhaustion and relief look like pride! Thanks SoCalTriCurious and all the other womens for your kind words :)

Sorry to hear Anna & niagirl didn't have the races they wanted. Good on both of you for your huge efforts in making it as far as you did. Recover well and go crush the next one!

And HUGE CHEERS for Scheherazade being able to run again - talk about a great karmic payback for you being there for your neighbour in distress!

Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Anna s, it's been a long haul with me and running and I appreciate your encouragement :)
I'm doing a some distance open water swim races this summer (but much slower than you!) and will race the Santa Cruz 70.3 in September. Plenty of time for more climbing! Hope you're healing up x

Quote Reply