Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feeling nauseous after workouts + endurance nutrition
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone! I am a 28 year old Aussie training for my first half ironman, the 70.3 in Mooloolaba. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have done lots of shorter triathlons and always been a cyclist and runner, but lately I have been feeling nauseous after a longer training session (not during). I will do a 2km swim and feel really nauseous after I have stopped, and the only thing that fixes it is eating a large meal (usually carb heavy like pasta is the best). I feel like a 2km swim is not even that taxing - am I really using up that much energy?!

I went for a 16km run (easy - moderate pace, 6 min a Km) the other day and felt so sick after I had to lie down until my boyfriend brought me a slice of bread to eat so I could get up, which helped. It seems to just happen after the longer distances. I have a feeling it is something to do with being on the pill - (Brenda 35-ED) since pregnant women seem to need to snack a lot to stave off nausea. Could that be happening to me?? When I first went on the pill I vomited a few times but then it went away. I have not really had any problems since. I do seem to feel nauseous when I am very hungry but never used to get it after exercise until now. I seem to be eating constantly because I am training 6 days a week now, and it always makes my stomach feel better.

My other question is, if I get so hungry after a 2km swim that I need to have a large meal, how on earth do you get enough nutrition during the entire Ironman? Can anyone give me some advice on nutrition throughout the whole race? I have done a lot of research but I don't think a gel every 45 minutes and clif bars will be enough. Do you have a favourite snack which has worked for you?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling nauseous after workouts + endurance nutrition [alexis_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my public service announcement... have you had your thyroid checked lately? We discovered I had a thyroid issue when I started getting nauseated and shaky and passing out (!) after workouts that shouldn't have been that strenuous.

The VERY first thing we did was an EKG to rule out heart issues and I also did a fasting glucose test to rule out diabetes.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling nauseous after workouts + endurance nutrition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice, I might get my thyroid checked. I actually had an ECG with a cardiologist this year and everything with my heart is perfect luckily. I specifically asked them if my amount of training is ok and he said it is fantastic, keep it up. However thyroid I did not think of. I don't get dizzy, shaky or pass out though. Just nausea. But will look into it anyway. Best of luck to you
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling nauseous after workouts + endurance nutrition [alexis_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I will do a 2km swim and feel really nauseous after I have stopped, and the only thing that fixes it is eating a large meal (usually carb heavy like pasta is the best). I feel like a 2km swim is not even that taxing - am I really using up that much energy?!

Do you wear earplugs? Are you swimming in a pool or a lake? Often nausea from swimming is due to water getting in your ears. It can be worse if it's choppy. Also, sometimes just going from laying down (as it were) to standing can cause dizziness/nausea, particularly if you've been swimming for a long time (as in duration of the session, not the years you've been swimming). My first bet here is that it's due to your ears.

Regarding the nausea running, first I'd look at food intake before running. If you're running first thing in the AM on an empty stomach, try having something to eat. If you're running midday or afternoon, play around with what you eat for lunch.

If I feel nauseous after a workout, I try to have something salty like saltines or soup broth with rice noodles. For me it always seems to be that salt makes me feel much better.

Good luck!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you've had your heart checked out. Midtown Miles is right -- having your thyroid checked is a good idea. A thorough blood panel is generally a good idea, but it sounds like you've probably already done that. You might want to do a quick blood pressure check after your workouts. Some people experience a drop in blood pressure during or after workouts, particularly if their fluid levels have gotten too low; that blood pressure drop can in turn make you nauseous. If that's the case, you might need more sodium before and/or during your workouts.That may also explain why Dr. Tigerchik feels better having salty foods after a workout that's left her nauseous. Good luck! I hope you can get it figured out.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling nauseous after workouts + endurance nutrition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, I never thought of sodium intake but that actually sounds spot on. I never drink anything during the swim (trying to emulate the half ironman) then I just gulp water afterwards. I only drink water during runs too so maybe it's the lack of sodium. I might try having a salty cracker during and after workouts now. Ear plugs! I will have to try these as I hate water in my ears and always pull my swim cap down low to try to prevent water getting in. Do they block out sound though, is it safe? Thank you so much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do they block out sound though, is it safe?

I never thought about that. Certainly in a pool - if there were an emergency, a lifeguard's loud whistle would be heard.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely good advice to get things checked by a doc. What I'll say is that the only times I get nauseous are:
1) if I haven't taken in enough calories or electrolytes during my workout
2) if I don't eat soon enough AFTER my workout. I have a short window - so I've learned to have chocolate milk handy for immediately after i finish, plus some quick snacks and Coca Cola. Along these lines - I once did a 10 mile run with my hubby on a weekend while we visited his parents. he was going to get us breakfast sandwiches while I showered - so I should have eaten within 10-15 minutes of finishing. But he got to chatting with his dad, got distracted, leading to a delay of like 30 min. I was nauseous the whole rest of the day. Had to lie down for a few hours even after eating. It's like if I don't catch it before it happens - I can't fix it!

I'd definitely make sure you are getting plenty of electrolytes during your bike and run workouts, you want to test what works and what doesn't before race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexis_ wrote:
I never drink anything during the swim (trying to emulate the half ironman) then I just gulp water afterwards

This might be part of your problem. I tend to feel nauseous after workouts if I don't hydrate well enough, and chugging a bunch of water too quickly right after makes it worse.
Quote Reply