Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 26 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

General info about this thread - we always welcome newcomers! If you are lurking and want to say hi, please do. If you want to tell us what you're training for and what your goals are for this week, please do. The more the merrier!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week: swim meet Saturday, which should be interesting :-) I have signed up for all the free events (50, 100, 200, 500, 1000) which is a high volume of racing for the looow volume of swimming I've been doing. had a fun time and won some races! I think it will be fun. I love the 1000. And the 500. :-) also, bike 3x nope and day off from running. nope but had one short day...

M: 7 mi run + 900 yd swim
T: 6.2 mi run + 1675 yd swim
W: 5 mi run (5k @ 7:30 pace) + 850 yd swim + Pilates class (w. my mom :-)
T: 7 mi run + 1475 yd swim
F: 8 mi run (2 mi @ 7:47 pace + 4.2 mi @ 7:40 pace) + 1400 yd easy swim
S: 3.5 mi run + 3700 yd swim (meet) + 5 mi hike
S: 5.2 mi run + 1500 yd swim + 1.5 mi hike

The meet was fun; I won the 500 (6:10), 200 (2:20), and 1000 (12:37). I also swam the 50 (32.12) and the 100 (1:08.33). I was happy with the 100, 200 and 500 times; the 1000 I think is reasonable given my 500 time and the amount of swimming I've been doing. I haven't done long intervals in awhile and wasn't sure how to pace it. In any event, I had fun and the HS kids sponsoring the meet raised about $400 for their scholarship fund.

I am proud of my alternating easier runs with speedwork.

Didn't get around to cycling (as usual).

Pilates made my abs sore for a few days!

totals: 11,500 yd swim + 41.9 mi + some hiking and Pilates

goals for this week: day off from running, continue to alternate easy w/ speed, ride bike at least once, swim 4x (1 done)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, Tigerchik! Those are some smoking swim times! Hot damn. Ok. Fine, I'll swim more. I'm jealous of your mad swim speed.

Good week last week. I didn't quite hit my goals, but felt good about the week. I had 2 travel days that had me sitting ALL DAY. I hate that. But, I got an early morning swim in at the hotel in a 18yd indoor pool (flip turn torture).

Swim x2
Bike x2
Run x2

I did feel good about my long run (12 miles) and long ride (50 miles) this week. Both felt easy and both had paces that are really good for me (considering the conditions). I'm racing June Lake in 2 weeks and I'm feeling ready for it. My legs are cooked from a few weeks of ramping up so I'm looking forward to a nice taper. After June Lake I'm probably doing a race each month through October.

Speaking of which, any good recommendations for a November or early December OLY or 70.3 in California? I've read a lot of bad words about HITS Palm Springs so I'm probably not up for that one....

Rock on women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, Dr. TC.

I started with a new PT last week. I had plateaued and wasn't making any progress. The intake assessment was difficult in a way that I did not anticipate. I felt overwhelmed reciting the extent of the injuries, symptoms and interventions I've been through the past year. I wasn't expecting that. Anyway, hopefully someone new to take a fresh look will get me past 3 miles walk/jog. :-(

Cycling remains the bright spot. I think it's for two reasons: I can more readily compensate for the muscle issues on my left side; and there are more contact points (4) for stability than in running (1) or swimming (none).

In a major accomplishment, I got hubby to a bike store to try a road (endurance) bike. He's started to take an interest in cycling. It would be fun if we could cycle together.

That's this week's news from Lake Wobegone.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Jun 26, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dang, Tigerchik! Those are some smoking swim times! Hot damn. Ok. Fine, I'll swim more. I'm jealous of your mad swim speed.

Thank you. I grew up doing it, which is a huge advantage.

Nice job on your long run and ride!

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jun 26, 17 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I started with a new PT last week. I had plateaued and wasn't making any progress. The intake assessment was difficult in a way that I did not anticipate. I felt overwhelmed reciting the extent of the injuries, symptoms and interventions I've been through the past year. I wasn't expecting that. Anyway, hopefully someone new to take a fresh look will get me past 3 miles walk/jog. :-(

That does sound rough, particularly if you were not anticipating it.

Quote:
Cycling remains the bright spot. I think it's for two reasons: I can more readily compensate for the muscle issues on my left side; and there are more contact points (4) for stability than in running (1) or swimming (none).
Brainstorm: maybe running pushing a jogging stroller would help? I'm focusing on the insight you have about contact points.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea--similar to learning to ice skate, where kids push around a chair. Wonder if I could get a stroller approved as adaptive equipment for tri? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done at the swim meet TC!

Last week's goals:
swim x 1: win
bike x 1: win
run x 5: win with 6 (~71.5km)
core/strength x 4: win
rehab exercises x 5: win
foam roll x 1: win

We've had record rainfall recently, so my usual Saturday morning ride down to the market on the Blair Trail had to be re-routed a bit.

(the trail drops about 4-5' down to about a foot above where the river level usually is - I'd have needed a snorkel even if I didn't get swept away by the current)

Little did I expect that the road - more than a hundred metres away from the river, further South - would be flooded as well. I could see there was about a foot of water from the cars coming through, so decided to risk it. A little scary with the bow waves off passing vehicles trying to push me over and rather difficult - like pedaling through mud - but I made it!

Decided to go back to Dundas Valley on Saturday afternoon - the same place I ran the 100k four weeks prior. This time, though, I did the extra 4km apart from the 20k course loop to go see the two waterfalls in the conservation area.

The Hermitage Cascade is actually very close to the 3k/8k aid station on the Sulphur Springs course.

You have to take the beautiful Heritage Side Trail to get to the more impressive fall, though.

It had been close to 6 months since I'd been out to Canterbury Falls - lovely to see it all in green!

Having heard that a couple of friends were also running the loop, I spent the latter three-quarters of my run trying to chase them down after mis-judging where they were (they passed by the Heritage Side Trail while I was still on my way back to the main loop, but I thought they were still behind me so I backtracked and waited about 5mins before realizing they'd probably already been by), which was a bad call. I did run into them on an out-and-back section, but wasn't able to catch them and ended up running too hard and roasting myself pretty badly. By the end of the 3hrs I was out there I was shagged right out and was pretty useless by the time we finally got home after a stop at the grocery store. Still, I definitely got a solid workout in for my last long run before Limberlost.

I felt better than I expected on Sunday morning, and I'd had fun bagging waterfalls at DVCA, so I devised a route on the Bruce Trail in Hamilton that would take me to 4 of them in the 12km that I wanted to run.

First, down along Red Hill Creek for a bit from Oak Knoll Park. I was doing an out-and-back section on the main Bruce Trail to hit Felker's Falls, but passed Glendale Falls along the way. At 3m/10ft high it was the smallest I'd see, but still very pretty.

Felkers Falls was definitely worth the trip, though.

Hamilton didn't get the rain that we did further north so the flow wasn't at its best, but a 22m/72ft high waterfall is still pretty impressive even at a trickle.

Back along the Bruce with a little death to the right.

I hooked up with the Mountain Brow Side Trail and headed for 19m/62ft high Albion Falls. It did not disappoint!

Back up the Red Hill Creek Side Trail to the tallest (23m/75ft) but least impressive fall of the day - Buttermilk Falls was a bit anticlimactic, though I'd have been absolutely delighted by it had I not already been so spoiled on the day.

So, now it's time to taper a little for Limberlost, and man am I ready - I'd been in a weird place with not thinking I really needed to take the extra recovery steps I do during heavy training since I felt like I was just starting up again after Sulphur, but 40+ mile weeks aren't exactly easy running. So, I've started being a little more diligent (wearing compression socks as I type this) and I hope I haven't dug myself too deep a hole.

This week's goals:
swim x 1
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4
rehab exercises x 5
foam roll x 1

Quote | Reply
Congrats on the wins, TC!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
Goals for this week are about the same: Four runs for 30-ish miles; two bikes, one inside and one outside; one swim (maybe tonight if the storms hold off); two weights sessions. Squeeze in some yoga and prehab. Get some relaxing in and get enough sleep.

I had another decent week, which I will happily take. Four runs for almost 33 miles, all hot, humid and windy. One trainer ride and one (windy) road ride. One visit to the pool. I only did one session of weights last week; I try to do a video or go to barre during the work week but that didn't happen. I still managed almost 11 hours, which is great for me.

My in-laws were in town on their boat (and it was my m-i-l's birthday) so we spent some time with them and stayed on the boat Sunday and Monday nights. I was going to swim at the club where they were docked but it was chilly! I only brought one pair of socks and one sweatshirt for the whole weekend and I don't think I took them off, lol. I considered Monday a "recovery day" lounging on the boat with my magazines and cruising up and down the Detroit River. Let me see if I can attach a few pics, but they won't be as good as Mistressk's. =)

This week I want to do more of the same: A few runs to hit 100 for the month (although my bad knee is a little tender today), a couple bike rides, a trip to the pool, lifting some heavy stuff, some stretching. I have a wedding Sunday so I'll plan on that for my "recovery" time, and am looking forward to next Monday and Tuesday off. I could definitely get used to a 3-day work week. =)

This is one is for Mistressk,Schehezerade, and any other Canadian friends on here!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beautiful pics! I'm glad you had a good week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay - the water looks blue-r than I expected! Don't forget to celebrate the sesquicentenary on Saturday (maybe a 150km bike ride!) :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, hello. Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik and congratulations on your swim meet wins! You are #SwimGoals as the kids say.

My goals from last week were:
Quote:
... just to get my act together for Sunday's race -- a bike, a swim, a run, a yoga class, daily p/rehab and then a race.
... all the traveling has wiped me out and changed my sleep and diet. CdA 70.3 is less than a week away and rather than feeling excited, I feel exhausted and am dreading another trip. Mentally, I just want to relax with my dog and sleep in my own bed. Physically, I am feeling soft and sluggish. I'm hoping thing perk up before the race.

The trip itself was great -- we drove nearly 3,000 miles across 8 states saw some beautiful parks (ZION!), visited friends, ate well, drank well, and had a fantastic time overall. The 70.3 in the middle of the trip was ... not my best. I was feeling okay going in and had a decent swim but my chronically tight hips became a limiting factor on the bike. I started to feel the familiar sharp pain and numbness in my hips and I backed off about 35 miles in. I really considered DNFing after the bike but just took a really long T2 to stretch and try to regain some mobility. I took another long stretch break 4 miles into the run (and considered a DNF here too) but just focused on finishing in a way that respected my body. I had my worst placing ever but feel like it was a good experience for me to experience nerve issues and pain but be able to assess the situation instead of freaking out so I'm proud of that. I'm really working on finding balance between ignoring my body (which I did for many years as a runner) and over-correcting in the other direction. Feeling good a day after the race makes me feel like I made the right call.
I'm sure all of June's flying and driving and sitting didn't help my race performance but I had so much fun that I don't regret a thing.

And two thumbs way up for Coeur d'Alene and the race itself -- great support, beautiful course, lovely town.

I am not signed up for any other triathlons yet but I'll likely do Santa Cruz in September. Between now and then, I'd like to get my bike
fit figured out, add some speed back to my run, and do a ton on open water swimming. This week, I'll probably get back at it tomorrow and be back to my usual swim, bike, run, yoga, strength, p/rehab schedule in full next week.

SLOGoing glad your longer stuff is going well. I did HITS PS and Napa this year and I suggest we avoid it and find another California race, I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm thinking of you Tri3, I know how frustrating the process can be and hope you find something that works for you. Fun photos as ever mistressk and you too midtownmiles!

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Yay - the water looks blue-r than I expected! Don't forget to celebrate the sesquicentenary on Saturday (maybe a 150km bike ride!) :D
This is terrible -- I didn't even realize it was such a big year for the country! And I only live 2 miles away from the border. Sad, sad, sad. I'm not in 150km shape (lol) but maybe a 150-minute bike ride. ; )

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P.S. - I had to google "topology" in your new sig line. =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cbc.ca/...da-day-150-1.4182768 - for US branches only; you can take one for the team and report back! (Personally it sounds gross.)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha this sounds amazingly gross! We Detroiters are lucky to have several restaurants that make very good poutine.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 26 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm really working on finding balance between ignoring my body (which I did for many years as a runner) and over-correcting in the other direction.

Good for you! I know from experience what this takes. It's a skill I have been honing for several years now. I've found that for me, an important part of the post-decision assessment is to focus on what I am was able to do, rather than what I could have done pre-injury.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second week of taper for Irondistance race. Nine days to go. Will get some OWS in and test drive the "Adventure Light" the strobe light that clips onto my goggle strap. Swim start is 4:30 am so will need illumination at the start.
Some gentle riding and short runs planned for the weekend. Starting to feel the nervous energy of the taper, that feeling that one should be doing more, or less!
Be safe out there. 🇨🇦
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement, Tri3.
I've been working on this since returning to sports a few years ago. After college, I just didn't trust my body's inner governor to make smart decisions and have been very gun shy in racing and training out of fear (and shame, to be perfectly honest). This race helped me realize that I can trust my sense of self preservation but still push it -- now, I'm going to work on actually doing it.
I wish you luck on your journey and appreciate your perspective.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply