Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT WIN Initiative and Participation
Quote | Reply
I am participating in the USAT Women's Initiate with the objective of getting more women into the sport. So far kind of mixed reviews and I'm wondering what everyone else thinks or is experiencing.

We announced four of the evening workouts with wine (basically social workouts) with what I would conisider pretty marginal response. As a matter of fact, kind of dismal. We did a swim-social two weeks ago with only 4 people showing up. Last Friday we did a run-social and only 2 showed up. Had another session scheduled for last Thursday night with a running and fitness group and a local running store and they canceled on us at the last minute. So it's been pretty frustrating.

We also added a shorter sprint wave for beginner women to our Tri Santa Cruz (400 yd swim/12 mile bike/5K) and we've had some response but nowhere near where everyone thought we would. Even offered training clinics and free open water swim clinics but that hasn't boosted registration. The regular sprint and olympic races are actually ahead of last year's registration but not getting any newbie traction.

We've done print, social media, and visits to local running stores and specifically women's running and fitness groups. So far we've spent more on advertising than we've recognized in registrations for this wave. Honestly, at 2 months out I don't really see a huge increase in newbie registration at this point.

I'm interested in experiences with anyone else doing this initiative and how it's going for you, or just your thoughts on how to increase participation with the beginners wave.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WIN Initiative and Participation [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably already thought of putting up flyers at local gyms and stuff, right?
What about a get-a-friend-into-tri discount for people doing the regular race if they refer someone to the beginner race (and the beginner signs up)?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WIN Initiative and Participation [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep...flyers at a lot of local places and sports shops. Will do more. We also have referral refund available on our registration site that ties to facebook, etc. forward to a friend and get a rebate on your own registration. Maybe we have to advertise that more.

One of the things is that all of us on this forum are all triathletes but getting to that new market is tough - things like Moms in Motion, bootcamps, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooh, there you go - advertise at day camps (moms drop kids off and sometimes have the days off), local schools (teachers getting out for the summer)...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WIN Initiative and Participation [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dr. TC might be on to something. If you want newbies, might need to reach beyond women already engaged in sport. And instead of "mass" media, maybe consider something with a more personal touch. Can you get invited to any women's groups to do presentations/outreach?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI Ladies:
I just posted this on my FB page, and tagged a bunch of friends from all over the state.
It casts a wide net, and I know that my Nor Cal and other friends will share, like,and otherwise spread the word.
because of the nature of my FB friends, it'll get spread around and isn't exactly preaching to choir, so to speak.
Maybe you all can do same. Tag a few of your friends.
Here's what I wrote in my post,
"Anybody looking for a fun triathlon in a gorgeous Central California setting, that won't cost more than your car payment, won't take all day, and has a special beginner wave for women? Complete with FREE open water swim clinics and other training tips?
Something for everyone... Relays for the single sport studs, even an Aquabike for those of us who would rather swim a mile than run one..."
When I pasted the URL, the site came up on my post:
http://www.finishlineproduction.com/events/triathlon/TriSantaCruz/TriSantaCruz.html

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WIN Initiative and Participation [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're awesome! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WIN Initiative and Participation [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes -actually we've done a lot of that, plus a lot of talking and booths at Running expos. We'll just keep plugging away at it. Actually have totally avoided triathletes and Tri clubs to any depth. We're after that new audience.

It may just be too late in the cycle this year so. R this didn't get off the ground at USAT until the very end of May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered if I just didn't catch the initiative early enough or if it got a late start. A big push around New Years (resolution time) is going to get ladies who are looking for something new and challenging.

Have you looked at the factors that have made marathon so popular? A lot of first timers to running came in through a marathon.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WIN Initiative and Participation [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. It's just too late in the cycle.

Did you notice that road runners of America just released a report saying run numbers were down this past year. I didn't see the breakdown. I did the expo at Tinkerbell and neither the 10k or 5k were full. That's a first.
Quote Reply