Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New president of Triathlon Business International
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

X2.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to Karen Sing - Slowtwitch Concierge, an ever present and always helpful presence in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a new shirf in town.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

We need a like button on ST. Actually forget about that thought. It's better when people actually type a response. Dan, just out of curiousity, what does the role entail and what are some of your major ideas that you would like to drive forward?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Great!! Ummm...What's triathlon business international?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:

no problem that you don't know. you probably don't need to know. it's an industry organization. but i'm happy to tell you if you're interested.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a California organization discussing California triathlon issues with an intriguing International name.

But yes - congrats Dan

H

Slowman wrote:
CCF wrote:

no problem that you don't know. you probably don't need to know. it's an industry organization. but i'm happy to tell you if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
It is a California organization discussing California triathlon issues with an intriguing International name.

But yes - congrats Dan

H

Slowman wrote:
CCF wrote:

Oh SNAP!
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

we have 23 shareholders if memory serves. 20 are from the US. 9 are calif based. so you are not too far off. we now have a BOD and about half that BOD consists of folks who have no equity in the org. i'm establishing a number of committees, each of which will represent various stakeholder groups (RDs, coaches, retailers, etc.) and one "rule" of mine is that the committee can't be chaired by a shareholder. i don't much care of any shareholders are on any of the committees. the committees will be internationalized as well.

so, we'll see. your criticism (and that's clearly what it is) is well-founded. i think the org was too much a case of the large players in this industry making sure their own interests were protected. i don't see how that has helped the industry, and it certainly hasn't done anything to help the very shareholders who formed the org. that's what i intend to change. i made that clear to the BOD when i ran for president.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Herbert wrote:

we have 23 shareholders if memory serves. 20 are from the US. 9 are calif based. so you are not too far off. we now have a BOD and about half that BOD consists of folks who have no equity in the org. i'm establishing a number of committees, each of which will represent various stakeholder groups (RDs, coaches, retailers, etc.) and one "rule" of mine is that the committee can't be chaired by a shareholder. i don't much care of any shareholders are on any of the committees. the committees will be internationalized as well.

so, we'll see. your criticism (and that's clearly what it is) is well-founded. i think the org was too much a case of the large players in this industry making sure their own interests were protected. i don't see how that has helped the industry, and it certainly hasn't done anything to help the very shareholders who formed the org. that's what i intend to change. i made that clear to the BOD when i ran for president.

But wait, there's more...
TBI was formed because there really wasn't anyplace where multisport-focused businesses (race directors, coaches, clubs, retailers, manufacturers, event services, governing bodies, media, marketing/PR, agents, and any other tri stakeholders...) could get together. Lots of us ran into each other at events, but there wasn't a formal network for us to work together on issues which were radically changing and damaging the sport of Triathlon.
Theory was " If we all put our heads together to help grow the sport, then we'll all prosper. " As with all "volunteer" based organizations, and particularly with our interesting collection of shareholders, there's been conflict and competing agendas and all the usual challenges regarding who's doing the work, and who's taking the credit...

Dan's goal is to get the organization on track, which is why he's set up committees of various stakeholders. We figure that each of those groups will discuss their issues and get to work on solutions, as well as give the rest of us ideas about relevant topics, speakers, agendas, and activities for upcoming conferences and events.
It's inclusive, all are welcome. If you belong to any of the stakeholder groups... ie media, coaching, club, coach, vendor, race director, etc, you can be part of TBI. On a committee, as a member, as both... Oh sure, you can throw rocks and be the social media Snarkosaurus, but when you've had your fun, you're welcome to be part of the solution.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Herbert wrote:

we have 23 shareholders if memory serves. 20 are from the US. 9 are calif based. so you are not too far off. we now have a BOD and about half that BOD consists of folks who have no equity in the org. i'm establishing a number of committees, each of which will represent various stakeholder groups (RDs, coaches, retailers, triathletes, etc.) and one "rule" of mine is that the committee can't be chaired by a shareholder. i don't much care of any shareholders are on any of the committees. the committees will be internationalized as well.

There, fixed that for you

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
There, fixed that for you

well, actually, no. that is USAT's mission, along with Ironman, etc.

the mission of this organization is to specifically help, advocate for, equip industry. now, if we do that then the by-product is very likely to be that we help the end-user. if we could help industry market and produce safer, less-expensive, more interesting events, and help manufacturers, retailers, coaches and so forth do their jobs better, less unprofitably, then the end user benefits one would think.

slowtwitch's mission is the end user. but TBI's mission is to help industry more efficiently serve the end user.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Herbert wrote:

But wait, there's more...
TBI was formed because there really wasn't anyplace where multisport-focused businesses (race directors, coaches, clubs, retailers, manufacturers, event services, governing bodies, media, marketing/PR, agents, and any other tri stakeholders...) could get together. Lots of us ran into each other at events, but there wasn't a formal network for us to work together on issues which were radically changing and damaging the sport of Triathlon.
Theory was " If we all put our heads together to help grow the sport, then we'll all prosper. " As with all "volunteer" based organizations, and particularly with our interesting collection of shareholders, there's been conflict and competing agendas and all the usual challenges regarding who's doing the work, and who's taking the credit...

Dan's goal is to get the organization on track, which is why he's set up committees of various stakeholders. We figure that each of those groups will discuss their issues and get to work on solutions, as well as give the rest of us ideas about relevant topics, speakers, agendas, and activities for upcoming conferences and events.
It's inclusive, all are welcome. If you belong to any of the stakeholder groups... ie media, coaching, club, coach, vendor, race director, etc, you can be part of TBI. On a committee, as a member, as both... Oh sure, you can throw rocks and be the social media Snarkosaurus, but when you've had your fun, you're welcome to be part of the solution.

Karen, I am not trying to be critical, but let me share my experience with international consortia in tech. Over time (a couple of decades....yes, I am old and seen lots of success and failures from these .orgs), I have chaired working or been on the board of several tech related consortia covering network processing, high speed interconnect, high performance computing and 5G wireless stuff....basically things fall apart when it is just an supplier/industry group hug and there is not strong representation from end consumers. When we've had Huawei, or Ericsson or Dell (when the consumer group is system vendors), or Verizon, Vodafone, Facebook or Microsoft (end consumers for systems) in the groups, they end up having a lot of success.

In your stakeholder group, I don't see any representation from the end consumer (I assume these are the people that guy gear and race entries) What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might do a better job helping the end user if they're involved in the process and have some voice. so, having a committee with the athletes and or clubs represented would be helpful.

if manufacturers, retailers and RDs all get together in their little bubble without understanding what the end user actually wants and needs, you're just wasting everyone's time. not trying to come across snarky here, just giving my two cents.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
you might do a better job helping the end user if they're involved in the process and have some voice. so, having a committee with the athletes and or clubs represented would be helpful.

if manufacturers, retailers and RDs all get together in their little bubble without understanding what the end user actually wants and needs, you're just wasting everyone's time. not trying to come across snarky here, just giving my two cents.

Agreed! ^^^ Plus by having actual athletes involved it does not look like an organization with the sole purpose of making money off of the athletes.

Oh, and CONGRATS Dan and Karen!
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jun 19, 17 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:

we are going to have a clubs committee. while this is kind of a gray area in terms of industry, having given this a fair amount of thought it seemed appropriate to consider clubs and industry stakeholder.

you and gary (the "Agreed! ^^^" guy just in between your post and this one), i'm assuming you gents are a part of the club scene? (gary's been around forever so i'm guessing so.) why don't you guys PM me and we'll rope you in and get you going. this will be helpful.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well crap.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: New president of Triathlon Business International [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The interesting thing about clubs is the question of how and why they ebb and flow in membership. Having been in the tri scene for 30 years, I have never noticed that a club's fortunes parallel its ability to get a discount.

A club is a club. Not a retailer. A club's success, in my experience, is based on its ability to help integrate a member, provide a social benefit, and a training benefit, and by how well it makes new triathletes.

When one contemplates who is an industry stakeholder, a club is not industry, but is a stakeholder. I don't see anyone specifically helping equip clubs, in the aggregate. I think TBI could do that, but not by teaching a club how to be a retailer, rather by helping clubs remember how they historically got big and healthy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 19, 17 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Multisportsdad wrote:

we are going to have a clubs committee. while this is kind of a gray area in terms of industry, having given this a fair amount of thought it seemed appropriate to consider clubs and industry stakeholder.

you and gary (the "Agreed! ^^^" guy just in between your post and this one), i'm assuming you gents are a part of the club scene? (gary's been around forever so i'm guessing so.) why don't you guys PM me and we'll rope you in and get you going. this will be helpful.

I'd be delighted and honored to help. I'm on a team, but not a club, as the club scene here is not very popular. That said, the teams resemble clubs. I'm also working with one particular manufacturer/product line and have done media, RD and other things through the many years. I'm in if you need me.
Quote Reply