Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going?
Quote | Reply
Okay, did my last Oly race tune up to before heading out Thursday for the USAT Duathlon Nationals in Bend. Was a great race by USAT last year
and looks like the weather report is for another great race this weekend. Have signed up for all three race in two days and 24 hours. Will is if the body
is willing and able to do it like I did the two last year.

So who else is excited and heading to a great city Bend for the Du race? Which ones are you doing? I will be hauling 3 bikes with me. :(

Too bad Dan is not making the trip. Would have been fun racing head to head. Or Mark. Where are you old guys?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bend local here. Last year I came and watched. We may be camping this weekend, but if not, I will be there to watch again. The number of people completely disoriented when getting on their bike was staggering. I watched a huge number of people stumbling, falling, and one person falling over the gate.

Either way, if we don't go camping I will be there. I would offer having you ship your bikes to our house for garage storage...but I don't know what our plans are.

Good luck, have fun...and take a moment to calibrate before jumping on the bike :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming back again since it is only a 2.5 hour drive. I think I missed my spot at an AG Championship last year, the overall winner (except for penalty) from last is aging up into my group, so I think I am racing for 2nd place under the best case scenario. Fitness is good, resting up this week. Going to be the front end of two week double header, with Baker City Stage race the following weekend.

I am surprised so many locals passed on this last year, we have a number of bike racers in OR who could have been crashing all over the top 10. Dan Lincoln (former US 3000m steeplechase record holder and Olympian) is one OR amateur bike racer whom I would figure would run away with this if he had any interest. I think a few more bike racers guys might come out of the woodwork this year, I have been trying to encourage it.

If anyone is interested in a tour of the best Bend local spots on Saturday night (Stihl Whiskey bar, D&D, Deschutes brewery, the star bar at Worthy Brewing, Stars Cabaret, etc.) let me know. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there again. I'm just hoping to do a little better than last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'll be there (again) racing the standard on Saturday and the DL race on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come prepared...forecast is nice for Saturday and Sunday, but we had a chilly weekend with hail and snow on the side of town the race is on. Juneuary in Central Oregon!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Come prepared...forecast is nice for Saturday and Sunday, but we had a chilly weekend with hail and snow on the side of town the race is on. Juneuary in Central Oregon!

If the race had been last weekend, who knows if there would have been a race.
But, perfect weather coming up.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there coming from New Jersey. Have to leave after the race to take the red eye back Saturday night to arrive home early Sunday morning. Then two days later drive up to Mt Tremblant for the 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got from Bend in the mail a nice book of all the stuff one can do in Bend. First class Bend for promoting your city!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be out there. I'm leading USAT's Draft Legal camp right after the race.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Didn't
h2ofun wrote:
Just got from Bend in the mail a nice book of all the stuff one can do in Bend. First class Bend for promoting your city!!

Didn't you even read my post? I am offering a free guided tour of local hotspots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you new here? - he posts, he doesn't read other posts. Have a good race.

Selfishly, I can't wait till next year when it moves East so I can go with a reasonable amount of logistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:

Didn't
h2ofun wrote:

Didn't you even read my post? I am offering a free guided tour of local hotspots.

I read your post.

So, what did I miss? I think it is first class for the city of Bend of send out that book. Something wrong with making a nice comment about Bend?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received the Bend Guide Book last night. Now I wish I was staying longer
Quote Reply
Re: USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going? [Gary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary wrote:
I received the Bend Guide Book last night. Now I wish I was staying longer

Yes, Bend and the area seem to be very cool.

At this time tomorrow I should be driving past weed and seeing Mt Shasta for a long time. We are so lucky looks like the weather is going to be perfect.

Too bad school is still in session because of snow issue this year so will not see the site setup until Sat morning.

Have a great race or races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Car is packed and leaving in a few minutes for Bend.

Looking forward to meeting and racing with folks. Wave to me when you fly by me on the bike, since I suck so badly. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather the pits here in bend now. Supposed to be great for the weekend

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is boring. Tell us about your race plans. Who are you gunning for this year? What do you think of the course? Are you man enough for a night on the town with triyoda?

My deal/agenda

Last year there was some British national in the 40-44 AG that wasn't eligible for awards, but he beat all the masters pretty handily. Of course they never gave any notice at the start about this situation, which I found odd since, 1) he was the only foreign competitor in the race (not eligible for awards) in any of the fields, so this was a big anomaly and 2) I guess they must have known he was pretty fast and would therefore be a factor in the race (hence it would have been helpful to understand the dynamic that we were not directly competing against this individual for national championship awards). I know for me his presence did affect my race strategy to some extent, don't want to get into it. Anyway, he is listed in the registrants again this year. So I count myself wiser knowing I can basically ignore it when he takes off and worry about just racing the other 'muricans.

Other than that a few more guys registered in 40-44 this year, one guy back that I had a pretty good mano-a-mano with during last years race. Looking forward to some good racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to talk about my race plans but i would be accused of ...

But first goal is to try and finish 3 races in 24 hours.

Second is to get two slots to denmark 2018 worlds teamusa

Third goal is to try and run sub 7 minute pace on all my runs.

Stretch goal is a podium spot which i never have had.

Lottery goal is to break the tape in std distance since i go off on first wave.

But on the way home i just want to be healthy, have had fun and met new friends. Anything after that is icing on the cake

You going to meet the teamusa fb group at joolz friday at 4:45?

Have a great race (s)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. From BC, Canada so just in it for the race (apparently not eligible for awards). The drive into Bend is gorgeous. Really hoping the weather forecast is correct for race day, otherwise I'm stoked to be in Bend and racing.
Looks like a challenging race course so should be fun! I'm just doing the standard non-draft on Saturday. Don't think I've met any of you since it's my first time racing this, but I'll be riding a lime green and white Trek SC with disc and 808 looking faster than I really am.

Have a good race all!!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going? [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather looks perfect. Course is tough. Less than 24 to go

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect conditions today. They made one tweak to the run course as you come back towards transition that alleviated out and back traffic on a narrow path. Almost no wind on the bike.

Looked like some stronger competition than last year at least at the front of the field.

I kind of flopped, went out a little too aggressive in the first run trying to stay in a group of five. Came through 3 miles in 18:15 and by mile 4 legs felt a little worked over. I was basically going backwards at an accelerating rate for the rest of race. Backed off a little, but felt like I was on my heels the whole ride and sucking wind like I never do. 25 Watts less than last year. Still was not totally out of it coming off the bike, but then cratered on the 2nd run, just felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. Ended up 4 minutes slower than last year, most of it lost on run 2.

Backed into the last podium spot (5th), lucky only 3 guys passed me when I ran a 22:00 5k. My only real takeaway is I was right to respect the altitude a little more last year. My strength is the bike, should of sat back on the first run and been ready to hit the bike strong. I dug a hole early and never recovered.

Some strong competition in the masters today and aside from myself looks like guys executed some smart pacing. I did run almost a minute faster on the first 10k (37:58) than last year and it is a masters PR, so At least I did something fast.

Just need to rest up, put this failure behind me and get ready for Du Worlds.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Congrats on two very solid races so far. Your runs were pretty darn stellar. It would appear that the "other Dave" has both the run and the bike pretty well mastered and at the ripe old age of 63 too;) Still and all a second and third are pretty darn special.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT DU Nationals Bend, who is going? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Dave,

Congrats on two very solid races so far. Your runs were pretty darn stellar. It would appear that the "other Dave" has both the run and the bike pretty well mastered and at the ripe old age of 63 too;) Still and all a second and third are pretty darn special.

Thanks. Very proud of my results with such a poor bike. But as i keep saying when one gets in the 60 and ovet ag speed for most goes away as can be seen by results. Got a second in the standard race. 3rd in the sprint. Second standard grandmaster. Third sprint grandmaster. Run all the tuns sub 7. Real proud of my 6:23 pace for the last sprint run which got my the second wotld invite to demark in 2018 for teamusa. Now i still need to brainstorm was to improve on the bike :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usat did an amazing job at the bend duathlon nationals race today. Big kudos to the entire team

Quote Reply

Prev Next