Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts
Quote | Reply
What's everyone's thoughts on this race? Good/ Bad/Ugly ?
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a great race but it is one of the toughest 70.3 races on the WTC circuit.

The swim is pretty normal. Fresh water, temp probably low-70's. Some seaweed issues close to shore.

The bike course was new for last year and it made a tough course even worse. It's hilly and punchy in spots.

Looks like they changed the run course this year. The run was an absolute beast. Looks like they made it easier. That's a shame. That run course had quite the reputation.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah definitely a tough one and the weather can make it even tougher. Only did it once in 2013 I when a big storm rolled in with heavy thunder, wind and rain. Luckily I was already done by then but that race definitely kicked my ass. That said, I remember having a very slow time, but ended up placing quite high in my AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as noted, the bike and the run are very challenging and the heat last year was unbelievable-it went from 70 to 90 during the day

it's well set up and supported overall and I enjoyed the race last year, my first time there

It's a super long walk from where you park to the transition area and I felt it was a long run from S to B
I took a rolling suitcase filled with stuff along with a back pack and checked both of them

the aforementioned seaweed for the first few 100yds make that part 'interesting'
rolling start in 4 minute waves-my first rolling start and I liked it very much--water was beautiful although not clear like the lakes I usually
swim in and there was not a ton of contact during the swim
and there are wetsuit strippers! first time I've had that luxury at a HIM (despite doing 7 HIM races previously)

transition is on a grassy hill-about 1/4 mile away
if you're not an IM 'all world' athlete, you might be running your bike from the back all the way up transition
(at least I had to last year, even though I've done enough races now to rank Silver)

the bike is hilly but if you go by power you can have a very good ride and use up energy appropriately
I burned a few matches stupidly but I thought it was less hard than Quassy--hitting that first big hill right from the start
will leave you drained if you push it too hard early on and the rollers are not so bad that you can't keep good speed
there are some steeper hills that you can get low and coast fast
it was the first HIM bike leg that I went sub3 so I was happy with that

the run last year put the biggest hill on the furthest spot away and you ran up it, turned around and then went back-cool to see all the athletes on the course but you can get sucked into the walking zombies if you don't keep your focus

I LOVED going back into the lake for a swim post race! So nice, so nice..because it was so hot, so hot.

Better train for heat and hills for this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everything you ever wanted to know about the race:
https://medium.com/...128ef60d6#.1u5robid4

Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it easy for spectators to leave the race site during the bike, get some breakfast, and get back in before the run? Looking at the map, it seems like the bike course uses the only road in/out of the park.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think spectators could come and go by the parking lot in the north end, but yeah, there are traffic issues.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few days ago, looked like the temperatures were going to be warm. If it starts out in the high 60's with humidity, the weather will be in play.
Good luck all.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [Owenmiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parking nazi was out of control at the lot today.

Quote | Reply
Definitely a challenging day out there today - but that's why I love this race. What issue did you have parking? Was pretty smooth for us this morning as well as leaving this afternoon.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [davetheharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good race. Just 15 people sub 5 means brutal combo for everyone.
Did you stick around for the awards?
I will be curious to hear how deep World Championship slots roll in different age group, with the 70.3 WC in the US but Syracuse less than 3 months before Chattanooga.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the results, the AG who won ran a 1:13! Crazy fast for that run course.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [davetheharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetheharris wrote:
Definitely a challenging day out there today - but that's why I love this race. What issue did you have parking? Was pretty smooth for us this morning as well as leaving this afternoon.
Today was great. Yesterday during packet pickup some asshat was screaming at people to park all the back when half the lot was already cleared up. Practically jumped in front of our truck.

Quote | Reply
That fellow is now listed as a DNF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slots rolled a bit in most age groups. The groups with only one or two slots tended to be taken by the people that finished at the top. In the big men's groups with a lot of slots, that rolled pretty far in some cases. 50-54 M rolled far. 45-49 M rolled into the teens. Most of the guys in 40-44 took theirs, but I think one rolled a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need for the speed trap....There were way worse descents then that one...What was the purpose of that speed trap?
I wasnt DQd...just want to know why it was there. atleast i dont think i was...
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh. We were there first thing Saturday so didn't run into that guy. Gotta love a power trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse Ironman 70.3 Thoughts [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's the sharp turn at the bottom there... easy to skid out

http://www.tripothesis.com - Comprehensive Tri and running training plans starting at only $10.
Quote Reply