Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what do i need to open a fit studio
Quote | Reply
what certification can i get?

retul system is to expensive for me.

In the past I have had very good fits without the use of retul or other computer based fittings.

would really like to learn the knowledge to offer it to my customers.

I know of fist but its not offered that often

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: what do i need to open a fit studio [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One question deserves another. Are you wanting to open an independent stand alone fit studio, a fit studio in a bike shop, or an adjunct to another related business (coaching, PT, other?) What fitting experience do you already have? You'll need customers, tools, skills, experience, and yes - probably some credentials / certifications. One workshop or certification does not make a bike fitter, but it does kick off a long journey of learning and gaining experience. Do you live in the USA or elsewhere? That will influence what courses are reasonably available and accessible.

John
http://fitkitsystems.com
http://www.bikefitr.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time
Time to learn how to fit
Time to learn how to build a bike properly
Time to learn anatomy
Time to learn what rake and trail mean and how they affect fit
Time to learn about footbeds and shoes
Time to learn from other fitters.
Time to learn from frame builders
Now we can talk about learning to fit well enough to earn a living as a fitter

Happy
Quote Reply
Re: what do i need to open a fit studio [Happy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to learn about injuries
Don't forget: time to ride bikes

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, firstly this is a bias answer. We would say that you need some form of motion analysis, good training and a fit bike if you can afford it. At velogicfit.com we have bike fitting software products to suit the level of the store and fitter.

We have a 2D Motion product (that Slowman himself endorses) and a 3D Motion product, the difference between the two being that 3D offers lateral movement analysis of each joint while the rider is pedalling ie. knee tracking, hip rocking etc. and the 3D product quickly and easily measures the bike too. We also offer a bike finder product, 3D Aero (frontal area analysis) and training. We have trainers around the world with courses planned over the next few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of bells and whistles but I suggest starting with the basics and work your way up. FIST if you can make is great. More options for classes can also be found at http://www.thecyclepoint.com

I feel a lot of folks spend a lot of money and are not really ready so hence my suggestion of spending less to get going and add the bells and whistles as you grow and continue to fit.

All the best

Swifty

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the most important thing that you'll be needing is basic knowledge in running a business and some customer service and marketing skills. With these, you can be more confident that your investment will be fruitful in the long run. Moreover, you really have to be passionate with it and have the skills that it requires. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: what do i need to open a fit studio [bewlione] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bewlione wrote:
One of the most important thing that you'll be needing is basic knowledge in running a business and some customer service and marketing skills. With these, you can be more confident that your investment will be fruitful in the long run. Moreover, you really have to be passionate with it and have the skills that it requires. Good luck.

I actually am already a business owner so I already know how to run a successful business. unfortunately my current business is very manual labor oriented so I am looking at moving on to something that interest me and doesn't beat me up

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply