Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have two CR-Vs- a 2006 and a 2016.

If you can find a 2016 on the lot still, pick that up - even with my absurd saddle height, I can get the bike vertical with the wheel removed, plenty of space for luggage, and still enough room to get the little one's car seat in place.

Alternatively, the 2017 is a re-design that is even more space efficient inside. We've got 195K miles on the 2006, and the thing is still ticking strong. Has a little body rust (hooray New England), but otherwise drives like a champ.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tesla Model X. You can use all the money you save on gas to pay entry fees. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My next vehicle will be a minivan, whether my wife wants it or not.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not trust any camper shell with expensive bikes. They are too easy to break into. 2 friends had this happen 5 TT bikes stolen never to be seen again.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with many here, minivan is the way to go. When we bought our Odyssey, I actually brought my TT bike to the dealership to test. Rolled right in, both wheels on, no saddle adjustment. When I transport it in the car, I use a bungee cord on the rear handle in the ceiling (not sure what that handle is called).

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a new Honda Element 2010 and have been wondering what I am going to replace it with it. I wish they hadn't quit making it...perfect bike box. I've been looking at the new Honda Ridgeline but it looks like the bike would be a tight fit in the back seat although I see above that someone says it would work. By contrast, you could easily put a couple of bikes standing up INSIDE the back of a Ford F-150 extended cab...now there's some room!! One of those two may end up being the next vehicle. Wife also says no effing way to another van.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a "4 door" wrangler back in the day when it was the first generation (2 dour back then, but still the same extended version - the 2005 "Unlimited"). The amount of stuff I could carry around was surprisingly small. That vehicle looks big on the outside but because the floor sits so high up, and the walls are very short (if you go soft-top), there wasn't a ton of storage space for bikes and stuff like that TBH. It was also horrible for a daily commute and that's why I dumped it for a Civic back then.

Just a few months back, I finally ditched the Civic and it's rear hitch rack for something bigger that I could take the bike and lock inside. I went with a Suburu Outback (2017) and it's just perfect for this. It'll hold my TT, swim gear, and basically anything else when the back seats are folded down. Note though, because of that, I can only carry one passenger. If I took wheels off, I could probably fit it in the back area - but I rarely carry people with me, so being able to take the bike full w/o any dissassembly is great. It's also so much more flexible as I can now go to swim after a bike ride without worrying about leaving the bike outside the pool.
Last edited by: daswafford: Jun 15, 17 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ford Transit Concept as shown in these photos can work very well. This is an actual Ford Engineer who has completed multiple Ironman races.

A plug-in version of this vehicle is expected in 2019/2020 time frame.
Last edited by: Billyk24: Jun 15, 17 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No room for luggage? Are you traveling with Imelda Marcos and her shoes? After all my gear, there is still plenty of room to lay my bike down and still have room for more luggage or whatever. Although, after that really hot year at Wildflower, 2014 I think, my gf refuses to tag along to races. I've moved my daughter from her dorm, her apartment, always plenty of room and the vehicle is still a sporty SUV when I'm traveling to races, alone ... alone ...alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subaru forester
Ford Transit Connect
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I bought a new Honda Element 2010 and have been wondering what I am going to replace it with it. I wish they hadn't quit making it...perfect bike box. I've been looking at the new Honda Ridgeline but it looks like the bike would be a tight fit in the back seat although I see above that someone says it would work. By contrast, you could easily put a couple of bikes standing up INSIDE the back of a Ford F-150 extended cab...now there's some room!! One of those two may end up being the next vehicle. Wife also says no effing way to another van.

I'm looking at a Ridgeline as well as Volvo may have to buy my car back from me (Lemon Law). I was thinking about putting a cap like this one over the bed and then rigging up something in there.

I also recently rented one of the new Chrysler minivans (Pacifica?) while on a business trip and, frankly, it would be a perfect bike hauler with the third row flipped down. That said I'm 30 and single so it's pretty hard to rationalize buying a minivan.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Yukon XL - same specs as a Suburban- but my bikes won't fit inside upright. Yes these vehicles are cavernous and I love mine but I'm still forced to lay the bike down - sacrificing lots of space - or transporting it outside. I think the OP wants an upright option without having to remove the seat.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a VW Golf SportWagen last year and have absolutely loved it for hauling bikes. We can fit our bikes in with the front wheel off and them slightly leaned over. A little more hassle than standing vertical but worth the trade off. Been averaging close to 35mpg on highway trips which is a nice bonus too.

Last year I traveled to a stage race and used my 1up bike rack (single bike) and pulled the seat post off the other bikes and we fit 4 bikes (2 tt, 2 road) inside the car along with 2 other riders and all our gear for the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have one of these (Grand Torneo Connect in the UK) in the next week. The more 'car' version has a lift tailgate.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next