Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies!

Had a great week last week.

First: My new ride!!!

You may recall, my old ride's frame cracked. But, I overcame adversity and conquered with some bargain shopping to come out ahead. I took my baby out for a quick ride on Friday and then race it on Saturday in a local sprint tri. I'm in love.

About that race... Fort Hunter Liggett Wildfire Triathlon. This was probably the most enjoyable race I've ever had. It was exceptionally small - 39 participants - and every last little detail had been thought out and it was well organized and put on. My favorite part: we had a group photo after awards. That was a first for me! I'm dead center, yellow visor. A good showing of competition showed up and I did well enough for 3rd female and 8th overall.

You'll notice the little people in the picture. The dad did the entire race and took each kid on a leg so the kids were a relay team. The youngest is 5 (runner) the son is 6 or 7 (bike) and the oldest is 8 or 9 (swim). They were so freaking cute. The overall winner was a 15 year old. He was pretty adorable too. There is a future for our sport!

What else... my A race (70.3) is 3 weeks away and I'm enjoying some nice peaks in my training. I did the Wildflower bike loop on Sunday and PR'd on that route by over 15 minutes (I ride that loop very regularly). I didn't do my brick and run after the bike because I was pushing for a PR on my fancy new bike so I was pretty toasted. I'm a little freaked out because it snowed in June Lake (where the race will be) yesterday. I'm crossing my finger for good weather and no snow!! I'm also hoping that Tioga Pass will be open by then so I can actually drive to the race across the pass instead of having to drive all the way around the Sierra Nevada.

Last week:

Race x1
Swim x1
Bike x4
Run x0 (my right foot is not happy - mild metatarsalgia)

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC! How was your week?

Mine was pretty meh to be honest. Rode inside once and outside once. Outside ride was warm-up + 1st lap of my second ever road race. Managed to drop the chain in the first 3km of racing and then the shifting went to heck so I just pulled in and cheered the others on. The bike was due a re-cabling but we couldn't get to it until the weekend so didn't ride after that. I could have ridden the TT bike or put it on the kickr but I really wasn't feeling motivated so just enjoyed the downtime. Did one strength session and that was tough with lots of plyo and high intensity stuff.

This week: the bike is ready to go again so aiming for my usual 5 rides/150miles. Strength x 2. No racing this week because OH has a meeting in Calgary and I am going with him to help split the driving (and wander around the shops for a day). Bathroom renos continue and it is finally dry enough for my yard to be graded so it has been super noisy in my house today; I was glad to escape for a short (16mile) ride to test out the new cabling.

How are the rest of you ladies?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small races are awesome. Congrats on your 3rd OV and thanks for sharing so many details - the family relay is super sweet!
Also, nice bike!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your podium finish SLOgoing, and on the awesome new bike!

Sorry your race didn't go as you wished, Scheherazade. Mechanicals suck!

Last week's goals:
- swim x 1: win
- bike x 1: FAIL
- run x 4: win with 6
- core/strength x 4: win
- ankle rehab x 5: FAIL with 3
Ooh, and I foam rolled!

I was running consistently again last week, but I feel very beat up from it - like I'd run much longer and harder than I really had. The fatigue from a nearly 16hr race just doesn't fade overnight, but I actually ended up running just barely under 50km for the week.

Saturday was a bit haywire - we got down to the race site to volunteer decently early, and got the main aid station (the one racers pass through twice) set up pretty efficiently. The plan was to get the 50k racers through once per side and the 25k racers (starting an hour later) through the first direction, then around 9:10am Tank and I would jam out quickly to the farmers' market to do our weekly grocery shopping, stop at home for a quick bit of breakfast, then be back by 11am. The first part of this went to plan, but when we went to leave the market it was almost impossible to get the key into our car's ignition, and it couldn't be turned. Totally un-driveable; even the steering was locked. No, it wasn't just the wheel being turned too far; our car is a bit long in tooth and we had the same problem with the driver's door lock over a year ago. Call roadside assistance, wait for the flatbed to come, then the driver had to bang some skis under the rear wheels and use the tow ring/winch to turn the car (after we pushed it out of its parking spot) to load it up. It was past 11am before we were even on our way to the dealer.

Got the service porter to give us a lift home, then immediately dispatched Tank to the race site on his motorcycle while I put away all the groceries and made us a couple of breakfast sammiches - the one lady and her 2 teenaged kids who'd been helping out that morning needed to leave by 11am, which only left a racer's wife and daughter to run the aid station in our absence for about 75mins. I hopped on my motorcycle still chewing my last bite of breakfast and roared down to the aid station for about 12:45pm, then we spent until about 4pm (when the course closed) offering water, gatorade, cola, cookies, chips, watermelon, bananas and free hugs to all the racers completing either 25k or 50k for the day. It was gratifying to help one lady in very poor shape perk up (by sitting her down in the shade of the picnic shelter the aid station was in, pouring cool water on her neck and wrists, and getting some salty chips and water into her) enough to finish her first ultra, even if she did need one of our volunteers to walk with her into the finish line - she had been ready to quit when she came in, dazed and barely able to walk, and she was just crushed by the thought of coming within 1km of the end but not making it. So happy to help her achieve her goal! I'd worn running kit, so afterward I went out for a lap of the course, then did most of another lap with a grocery bag on my arm picking up all the trash left behind by runners and other trail users. The race is at a conservation area, and the trails are too pretty to leave cups and gel wrappers everywhere!

Sunday morning we were back on our motorbikes to run the aid station for the marathon and 8k races (the course is an 8.33km loop), which included the second stage of the "Ultimate Canuck", comprised of the 50k Saturday plus the 42.2k Sunday. It was an even hotter day than Saturday, and we had to do some more heat management treatment (cool water + salt + fluids) to another racer who went on to a podium finish in the Ultimate Canuck. We also got to watch a nest full of baby robins up in the rafters of the picnic shelter as the aid station wasn't as busy on day 2.

Everything was finished up by around 3pm, so I took another grocery bag out for a lap of the course and was pleasantly surprised to see much less rubbish around on the trails.

Horribly hot and sticky, though - while there is some shade on the course, the trails are wide enough that the mid-day sun penetrates the canopy and many parts are completely exposed. I had my work cut out for me just making it through a single lap (admittedly after already spending 8hrs on my feet), let alone the 5 laps of the marathon!

The dealer still didn't have a loaner car for us by Monday morning, so I had to ride my motorbike in to work in more sweltering heat and sun. It sounds more fun than it is, because the busiest highway on the damn continent is basically my only option without adding 50-ish km of back highways to my 75km commute. I spent no less than 45mins inching along in first stinkin' gear, trying to hide in the meagre shade offered by the occasional transport truck and hoping I wouldn't die of dehydration. Yeah, first world problems, but I was very happy to be able to pick up a loaner car from the dealer yesterday evening since the new ignition is backordered until Saturday. Actually ran the 4 miles or so down to the dealer last night to pick up my bike after leaving it there to drive the loaner home; it was still 30c/86f at 8pm and I was a dripping mess when I hopped in the saddle to go home. Best breeze EVER!

This week's goals:
swim x 1
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4
rehab exercises x 5

Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik!
Congrats on your strong finish SLOGoing and on the new bike!
Sorry about your car troubles but thanks as ever for the inspiring photos, mistressk!

I'm back from my much too short trip to Italy. I'd hoped to swim twice and bike, run, yoga, and lift once before I left. I didn't lift or yoga but did get in a swim, an easy bike, and a run. While abroad, I swam twice (the Mediterranean is so warm!) and ran once, I didn't bike and I dropped the ball on most of my daily p/rehab. All in, it was 44 hours of travel and then a packed wedding schedule so I am cutting myself some slack. I ate and drank in an uncharacteristically indulgent way -- wine every day, desert at lunch and dinner, cakes for breakfast. I think my body went into sugar shock!

This week it's back to business on both the training and good eating fronts (at least until the other wedding I'm attending this weekend which is between a chef and a food writer).

I traveled most of Monday so I rested, did a long/hard run after getting back to town last night, and swam in the ocean morning. I'm leaving for the other wedding on Thursday night but I'm hoping to get in two solid bike sessions (one here and on there), two more runs, and another swim. I could really use some yoga but I just don't know when I'll fit it in. CdA is less than two weeks away -- eek!

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: 5 swims, day off from running. We'll see what happens w/ bike. I leave Friday morning to drive to Salt Lake, and I'll be there for the weekend!

Hello from my office at OK State University!

I swam 4 times last week, as we left a day earlier than planned. I did not take a day off from running, but had one short day. Totals 51.1 mi run, 4900 yd swim.

Places I've run lately:
last Friday - Oregon
Sat. - Mon.: Salt Lake City, including one trail run
Tues.: Limon, CO
today: Stillwater, OK
weekend: Maine :-)

no goals for the week... travel week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I finally ordered the ANT+ stick and the adapter so I can use TrainerRoad from my iPhone, and yesterday I did my first ride, the 20-minute FTP test. It was, um, enlightening. I knew I was relatively bad on the bike, but DANG. On the plus side, I have a lot of room for improvement, haha.

I'm not signed up for anything at the moment besides a fun 5K next month and I kind of love it. No stressing about two-a-days, no dealing with race logistics, etc. If I miss a Saturday ride, OH WELL! I am sure I will get the itch again soon, no worries.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
So, I finally ordered the ANT+ stick and the adapter so I can use TrainerRoad from my iPhone, and yesterday I did my first ride, the 20-minute FTP test. It was, um, enlightening. I knew I was relatively bad on the bike, but DANG. On the plus side, I have a lot of room for improvement, haha.

Truth. I had the same enlightenment when I got TrainerRoad. I actually thought the thing was broken because I couldn't get the spin down to work to calibrate it. It turns out that I just couldn't spin up to 20mph. I've been doing TR for 2 years now and I'm a completely different cyclist now. It works! Have fun with it!!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I went back and read that thread to make myself feel better, haha. Glad to hear that hard work is paying off for you -- that is reassuring.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think part of it is also about getting used to the test structure (it was for me). Here's to all the training gains out there!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MistressK, is that a Honda Fit? I had the exact same thing happen with my Fit. Went through the same ordeal of flat bed tow truck. Between the tow and new locks on doors and the ignition I was out $1,500 USD. I wish a class action attorney would take up a case against Honda. Apparently it's a fairly widespread problem the computerized locks in the Fit. And dealers, because they are the only ones that can do it, charge a frigging fortune to program the keys.

Used to love Honda. Bought a 3-door civic and drove it for nearly 2 decades and 200K miles. After my experience with the Fit, I'm unlikely to ever buy Honda again. I'm currently in love with my little Subaru Impreza.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 12 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It definitely is a Honda Fit - a 2008 with almost 270k miles on it. We adore this car, and after our dealer gave us a 10% break on the parts & labour (plus got us a loaner vehicle that we drove from Monday evening until our car was ready Thursday evening), we only paid $550CAN for the ignition replacement. The tow was "free" because I have CAA (AAA) coverage. I can't recall how much we paid when the driver's door lock seized up, but the car was already more than 6yrs old and I know it was less than $200CAN. We use this little go-kart hard but it's been awesome for us; sorry you had a bad experience!