Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss
Quote | Reply
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-secret-weight-loss/

Pretty close to how I exercise. And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

Pretty close to how I exercise. And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

And why not? Does anyone who is sane really recommend NOT replenishing after a three hour workout?

BTW: I've found it what you eat not when you don't eat that has more bearing on shedding the winter/holiday pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

And why not? Does anyone who is sane really recommend NOT replenishing after a three hour workout?

BTW: I've found it what you eat not when you don't eat that has more bearing on shedding the winter/holiday pounds.

Remember, I am not sane :)

I eat 3 times a day. If I were to eat just because I had exercised, well, I might be fat.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please never recommend to anyone to not eat after a 3 hour workout. That's the best way to go backwards.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Please never recommend to anyone to not eat after a 3 hour workout. That's the best way to go backwards.

Generally any diet related advice coming from Dave should be ignored...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really can't figure out how to respond to this. I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at.

I lost 55 lbs (and cut my bf% from 27 - 11%) in 2015/16 following some version of this strategy. I wasn't training at the time, I was exercising for health and weight-loss---never more than about 90 minutes at a time. So, yeah...it works for THAT SPECIFIC PURPOSE. But, I was certainly compromised from a performance standpoint. I could do zone2 on that plan, but certainly not zone4.

But, its a crap *training* nutrition plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

That sounds like a pretty bad idea and should not be advice given to people.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continuing the trend of "Do exactly the opposite of what I do."
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

Wow, I am in real trouble. I never ever have eaten after a workout. I guess I am just a BOP racer.

Now after a race, I get to pig out. But, back on the diet the next day to recover. Got to get ready to race next weekend.

Guess I should not be siting here after my 3 hour workout today, and be hungry, and should go pig out. Nah, I will wait to eat until my normal lunch time at 12.

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:

Just diet advice? I came here to argue against this "advice", then saw it was him, and decided arguing wasn't necessary. Or productive.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Continuing the trend of "Do exactly the opposite of what I do."

Yep, great advice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Yes, you do if you eat 3 times a day
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Should anyone be surprised by h2ofun's comments anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Should anyone be surprised by h2ofun's comments anymore?

I think Dan should just rename his forum to Snowflake heaven.

I just like to a post that some experts did.

And I just comment what I do.

And just always amazed on how the snowflakes have to jump in and tell me, and everyone else, they are right, period, and have to attack.

I guess if I posted the sun comes up in the morning the snowflakes would attack about that. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"As soon as you start eating, the process is halted. Insulin now inhibits the breakdown of fatty acids, leading your body to burn the sugars you've just ingested. The fat burning stage is over."

I read a book that stated that when you constantly enter a fasted state, your body doesn't know when your next meal is coming so it triggers the metabolism to slow down and your body will want to store as much of your last meal as fat. Which, as the article also stated...

"If you think about it, this all makes perfect evolutionary sense. When food wasn’t as readily available as it is today, holding on to stored body fat was crucial for our survival. We evolved to last a long time between meals."

It is of course possible to lose fat while only eating 3 meals a day, and not eating after exercise. But don't confuse the evolutionary science. Because if true, the best way to lose fat would be to fast for 2-3 days straight, then resume normal eating once you've reaped all the benefits of the fat loss during that period. But we all know that doesn't work, and that it messes up your metabolism to the point where you likely end up gaining weight in the long run by training your body to store everything you eat as fat, and burn less calories at rest to prepare for the possibility of another 2-3 days without food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:

Wow, I am in real trouble. I never ever have eaten after a workout. I guess I am just a BOP racer.

You probably wouldn't be so weak on the bike if you actually tried to build some strength (hint, it doesn't involve starving yourself). Food for thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Indeed, every reputable source advises that the half hour after a heavy workout is the most important time period to get the carbs in to replenish the glycogen stores.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the average participant, which is a greater obstacle to triathlon performance:
1) Being overweight
2) Not recovering properly from their workouts because of insufficient nutrition.

Estimate:
1) 98% of triathletes
3) 2% of triathletes

There is a balancing act here:
Exercise should help with weight loss.
BUT exercise WILL NOT help with weight loss if you one is constantly consuming crap food during and after exercise.

That said, I do try to eat a little bit of something healthy after I complete every hard or long workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how did you do in your last race?

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:

You probably wouldn't be so weak on the bike if you actually tried to build some strength (hint, it doesn't involve starving yourself). Food for thought.

Who cares about being weak on the bike, I race Triathlons, and it is all about getting to the finish. I am still amazed how slow folks run in races. I just love running past those bikes studs who fly by me on the bike, (which means they are poor swimmers also. :) )

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
And how did you do in your last race?

At Auburn 3 weeks ago I was the overall Olympic winner, and had the fastest run split.
I wonder how many times a person 60 or older has won a race overall?

http://www.bigskyendurancesports.com/...NTRI_INTNTL_OALL.htm

Last Sunday I was the 11th overall, and do not have the split times to see if I had the fastest run again. I am usually in the top few.

http://totalbodyfitness.com/...al-triathlon-1-2017/

Not bad for an old 60 year guy who does everything wrong. :)

Last edited by: h2ofun: Jun 13, 17 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
For the average participant, which is a greater obstacle to triathlon performance:
1) Being overweight
2) Not recovering properly from their workouts because of insufficient nutrition.

Estimate:
1) 98% of triathletes
3) 2% of triathletes

There is a balancing act here:
Exercise should help with weight loss.
BUT exercise WILL NOT help with weight loss if you one is constantly consuming crap food during and after exercise.

That said, I do try to eat a little bit of something healthy after I complete every hard or long workout.

Yep!

I read articles all the time that say just because a person does some exercise, and this uses this to go stuff their face, and they wonder why they cannot lose weight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

The guy that won the elite race you're about to do this weekend did it on the bike, claimed so himself that a biker just wond Duathlon Nationals! The bike usually makes up about 50% of an olympic tri/du finish time. Your bike time in the sprint last year was 7 minutes behind the top dudes in your age group...so was your finish time. They cared, and that was the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity.
If you are not allowed to burn fat during, or after training......
How are you supposed to lose weight?
Quote Reply

Prev Next