Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti)
Quote | Reply
New race for 2018: Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti.) Saturday June 30th, 2018. 16:00 (4 PM) start. "Finish under the Midnight Sun". :)
1500 participants, 50 slots to worlds (@ South Africa?) Reg opens Monday June 19th at 14:00 EEST. 220 € reg fee.
Licensed race; organized by Finntriathlon. Official site here.
Last edited by: uucee: Jun 17, 17 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. Almost riding distance from my place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same place as Finlandia Hihto XC ski races? Would love to go!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Same place as Finlandia Hiihto XC ski races? Would love to go!!!

Yep, the same city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be so cool!!
(And also warm.. its mid summer.. :) )

—
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty stoked to see this! If my wife can travel at that time (work) I will definitely sign up - good opportunity to look up some relatives too. If not, then IM France or Canada are in my crosshairs.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
New race for 2018: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland.) Saturday June 30th, 2018. 16:00 (4 PM) start. "Finish under the Midnight Sun". :)
1500 participants, 50 slots to worlds (@ South Africa?) Reg opens Monday June 19th. 220 € reg fee.

Oh man, that's my kind of race!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
uucee wrote:
New race for 2018: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland.) Saturday June 30th, 2018. 16:00 (4 PM) start. "Finish under the Midnight Sun". :)
1500 participants, 50 slots to worlds (@ South Africa?) Reg opens Monday June 19th. 220 € reg fee.

I'm thinking about this one too.

An afternoon start is something I can really enjoy.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it feasible to stay in Helsinki? With the late start seems like it would be ok, or would this be too much of a hike?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Is it feasible to stay in Helsinki? With the late start seems like it would be ok, or would this be too much of a hike?

It's a bit more than one hour drive from Helsinki. So I guess ok if you you have a car.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [jpiik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would I be in Finland without a car?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I'll be there. Almost riding distance from my place.

Sounds like you're a Finn, or at least in the area. Can you recommend anywhere to rent a racing bike (doesn't need to be a tri-bike)?
I quite fancy using Lahti as a starting place for a week or two around the Baltics, but would rather not bring my bike all around with me.
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
CCF wrote:
uucee wrote:

I'm thinking about this one too.

An afternoon start is something I can really enjoy.

Bonus 4 pm start is like a sleep in to 8 am with a 10 am Eastern Time start....in other words, none of the usual jetlag associated with doing a Euro race going from North America and effectively having to do the entire race in your REM sleep period (if you had to travel there later)!!! I have written off 2017 for racing (it's another rehab year) so hoping for 2018!!! This looks super interesting....my only trip to Finland was 1 day in and out of Nokia with a morning run in Helsinki :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afternoon start is a game changer for me! Wish I could make the trip.

Challenge has a 70.3 in Iceland, and except for the water temp I wonder if it's at all similar. Both are beautiful countries well worth visiting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti) [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
Reg opens
Monday June 19th at 14:00 EEST
$ for TZ in Australia/Sydney Asia/Tokyo Asia/Shanghai Asia/Kolkata Europe/Moscow Europe/Helsinki Europe/London UTC America/Sao_Paulo America/New_York America/Los_Angeles Pacific/Honolulu ; do printf "%20s %s\n" ${TZ} "$( TZ=${TZ} date -r 1497870000 '+%H:%M %Z' )"; done

Code
    Australia/Sydney 21:00 AEST   
Asia/Tokyo 20:00 JST
Asia/Shanghai 19:00 CST
Asia/Kolkata 16:30 IST
Europe/Moscow 14:00 MSK
Europe/Helsinki 14:00 EEST
Europe/London 12:00 BST
UTC 11:00 UTC
America/Sao_Paulo 08:00 BRT
America/New_York 07:00 EDT
America/Los_Angeles 04:00 PDT
Pacific/Honolulu 01:00 HST

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:

No problem, it's only a 50min train ride from the center of Helsinki and 2.5km (1.5miles) from the Lahti railway station to the swim start. Trains for Lahti every hour:
https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage

Temperatures that time of the year probably between 15 and 25C and yes, the afternoon start is perfect. Sunrise at 4am and sunset at 11pm, with plenty of light an hour before/after.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [vitalstatistix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitalstatistix wrote:
Can you recommend anywhere to rent a racing bike (doesn't need to be a tri-bike)?

These guys seems to be at a lot of the local tri races, I'd assume they'll rent you a bike.
http://www.velo-oxygen.fi/contacts/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
IronStork wrote:

No problem, it's only a 50min train ride from the center of Helsinki and 2.5km (1.5miles) from the Lahti railway station to the swim start. Trains for Lahti every hour:
https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage

Temperatures that time of the year probably between 15 and 25C and yes, the afternoon start is perfect. Sunrise at 4am and sunset at 11pm, with plenty of light an hour before/after.

I'm planning on registering tomorrow. Looking at hotel options and there's not much going on in Lahti. I will need space for me, my wife, and my son (who will be 13 next year). Those tiny ass rooms and beds aren't looking good.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
These guys seems to be at a lot of the local tri races, I'd assume they'll rent you a bike.
http://www.velo-oxygen.fi/contacts/

Thank you.
Blimey, it's a funny old language!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lahti (Finland) [vitalstatistix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 J.R.R. Tolkien (about the Finnish language):
"like discovering a complete wine-cellar filled with bottles of an amazing wine of a kind and flavour never tasted before. It quite intoxicated me." :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti) [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
1500 participants

A 1000 registered during the first day, just on their FB.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti) [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
uucee wrote:
1500 participants

A 1000 registered during the first day, just on their FB.

I know you have previously and briefly touched on this but what's your opinion on staying in Lahti? Doesn't seem to be a lot of hotel options. Trying to figure out of I just want to stay the couple of days surrounding the race (night before and night of) and spend the rest of the time in Helsinki. Or would it make sense to stay out near the airport in Vantaa during those couple of days?

We plan to spend a couple of weeks total over there. Week in Finland and a week in Sweden.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd personally be fine with (and would prefer) staying in downtown Helsinki, it's still close to the airport, close to the ferries to Sweden, close to a lot more stuff to do/see, a lot more hotels to choose from, but you obviously have to factor in the train rides (or renting a car) on race day. Can you do the bike checkin on Saturday is probably the first question to ask. I assume you can, but don't really know.

The locals probably would prefer if you bring your money to Lahti though :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Finland (Lahti) [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
I'd personally be fine with (and would prefer) staying in downtown Helsinki, it's still close to the airport, close to the ferries to Sweden, close to a lot more stuff to do/see, a lot more hotels to choose from, but you obviously have to factor in the train rides (or renting a car) on race day. Can you do the bike checkin on Saturday is probably the first question to ask. I assume you can, but don't really know.

The locals probably would prefer if you bring your money to Lahti though :-)

Trust me... I wouldn't mind throwing some money at Lahti. I might book two rooms the night before and night of the race in Lahti. It doesn't look like any of the hotels in Lahti would comfortably sleep three people in one room. A couple of the hotels look nice but the rooms and beds are tiny. I was looking at the Sokos Lahden Seurahuone in Lahti as a possibility. I would prefer not to schlep back and forth for bike check-in and race day.

Quote Reply

Prev Next