Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 5 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: 3 swims (1 done) , 6 runs. If I run fewer days than that because family is here that's fine.
all done!

run: 6x = 44.78 mi
swim: 5x = 4500 yds

successfully defended dissertation and had a great time with my family :-)

goals this week: 5 swims, day off from running. We'll see what happens w/ bike. I leave Friday morning to drive to Salt Lake, and I'll be there for the weekend!

Hope you all are well.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safe travels TC.

Didn't check in last week because I was travelling M/T to get to Penticton. Had an awesome time away. Cycled about 150miles in 4 days. Should have been more but on the last day, I completely bombed a hill start and knocked my bike out of shape. Dan had to cycle back to the hotel to get the car to rescue me while I sat at a highway rest stop feeling sorry for myself. Overall though had a great week away and came back feeling really rested.

Both the bike and I are good to go this week though so aiming for 4 rides and 100miles. I'm on call for the fire department at the weekend so will have to make the most of the sunny week days. Also strength x 2.

Our master bathroom is being reno'd so hoping it will be completed this week as well; there's shower stuff in the living room, construction materials along the dining table and the bathroom door is hanging out in one of the spare rooms. It's slightly more chaos than I am comfortable with.

How is everyone else doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday and thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik -- I hope you've been celebrating a job well done!

My goals for the week were: two weekend bricks and a total of three bikes, three swims, three runs, two strength sessions, daily p/rehab, and a yoga class (if I'm lucky two!) I am trying to get in a lot of quality sessions before the travel starts.

I hit all my goals, took a second yoga class, and except for Saturday's swim, which was more helping than swimming, my sessions were the quality I was hoping for.

I've been having some small mechanical problems with my road bike and a friend lent me her brand new Specialized carbon fiber, eleven-speed steed with Di2 (what a friend!) I was/am nervous to change anything with respect to the bike given all the fit issues I've had but my training partner set the bike up to match the fit of my current bike and on Sunday I did a bike/run brick with it. My bike is a nine-speed (2004 Fuji) and having the extra gears and the electronic shifting made riding it really lovely. My Fuji's big ring is bigger and the bikes weigh about the same so I don't think the bike is per se faster but it is a lot easier to ride. I'm headed to Europe later this week for a wedding and then traveling to another wedding the following weekend so it's not an ideal time to be changing bikes but if I can get in enough rides to feel comfortable i'll take this bike to Coeur d'Alene at the end of the month.

Before I leave for Europe, I plan to swim twice and bike, run, yoga, and lift once. Once abroad, I'll run and open water swim as often as I can (in between salumi and wine) and am trying to rent a bike to tour the Sicilian countryside on Sunday :D

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Women!

A late congrats to the good Dr! Outstanding!!

I didn't get a chance to catch up on here last week. Just busy busy!

Nailed my workouts for the last two weeks and am close to a peak before my race 4 weeks from now. I changed up my diet and in-workout nutrition and it is making a world of difference. I'm not a zombie!

Last week:

Swim x3
Bike x3
Run x3

I've been icing my right foot - swollen nerve between 2nd & 3rd. I'm hoping that fades away soon...

I have a pretty solid week ahead of me. And a local sprint tri on Saturday to test out my new bike and a few gear changes.

Happy training & racing!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 5 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you change diet wise? Hope the sprint goes well!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 5 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I completely bombed a hill start and knocked my bike out of shape.

I don't speak bike enough to know what that means, but I am glad you and the bike are okay. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 5 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
What did you change diet wise?

I'm essentially having breakfast twice with protein for morning snack. For instance, breakfast is porridge with 5 fruits and soy milk, lunch is yogurt with granola and I'll have proteins for morning snack. Today I had eggs with cheese and salmon for morning snack. Then in the afternoon I'm eating nuts and breads. Dinner has been a massive salad loaded with veggies, legumes, seeds, avocado (I make my own dressing) and then usually a meat, fish or chicken dish.

During workouts (that last more than 90 minutes), I'm consuming a lot more calories per hour. I'm finally getting negative splits and finishing 4+ hour workouts strong. I did a bike-run Saturday that went 4 hours and then turned around and did a swim-run Sunday that went 3.5 hours and neither fatigued me too much. Normally that would have wiped me out. I'm also having a post-exercise recovery drink, which I never used to do. Today, Monday, I'm figuring to do a 3000m swim and am feeling pretty good about it. This is definitely not normal and only my diet has changed. Monday used to be zombie day.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 5 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diet is a tough one to figure out - it's great you found something that works so well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all and congrats to Dr. Tigerchik. I was out of town last week moving my sister cross-country (we have some funny pics on Instagram with the hashtag #greatsisterroadtrip if you are so inclined) so I only ran once after I got back in town Sunday, but that's OK. Honestly it was kind of nice to not have to worry about any training. With a run and a weights video yesterday I've already worked out more this week than last week. =P

I have a family event this Sunday but I think I can do two, maybe three more runs, one more strength session, a bike ride and a trainer ride, and a swim. I've been severely slacking in yoga and pre-hab but am really struggling to find the time between work, life, food prep and cooking, occasionally talking to my husband, etc.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dr. TC!

Last week's goal was just to do whatever seemed like fun, and I succeeded!
- rode my mountain bike twice, including down to the market on Saturday for the first time in months.
- rode my motorcycle once
- beat my husband (possibly for the first time ever) at a 9-hole pitch'n'putt
- ate ice cream
- went for some walks
- foam rolled once
- finally took Tanker to the Hockey Hall of Fame
- ran once (Sunday evening) to try out the new headlamp my sweetheart bought me

Of course I tweaked my freakin' ankle a couple of times running on Sunday, but I'm getting back to my ankle rehab exercises today and I saw a whole field full of fireflies, so I'm still calling it a win.

Phlox along the trail down to the market

It's all so green out there right now!

The Petzl Actik is pretty sweet.

Saw my massage therapist last night after another short trail run and got in a bit of trouble for hurting my ankle again, but promised I'd start taking better care of it. I won't be running long this weekend - going to volunteer at a local 2-day ultra - so hopefully some rest and strength work will sort it out.

This week's goals:
- swim x 1
- bike x 1
- run x 4
- core/strength x 4
- ankle rehab x 5

Quote | Reply
Kudos to you for volunteering. I hope your ankle feels better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit a particularly busy patch at work and training has done to hell. Oh well, I'm glad I postponed Half plans for another year. For the next month my plan is to sneak in workouts whenever I can. That will have to do.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TC et al. Congrats on completing your PHD!
This week was week 26 of 30 leading up to an iron distance race in Lac Megantic. Summer has finally arrived in southern Ontario so some hot running was had. One more week of silliness with the uber long rides and runs. Taper starts after next weekend. Be safe out there.
Quote Reply