Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to get a decent air chuck adapter for a disc? Can someone point my in right direction here? Tired of wasting $.
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silca disc adapter https://silca.cc/...isc-wheel-mini-chuck

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to beat a Hiro locking head... it's expensive, but not needing another hand is worth a lot (to me)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Hard to beat a Hiro locking head... it's expensive, but not needing another hand is worth a lot (to me)

Yup, I bought the Silca version (during a sale at least).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if when you say air chuck you mean an actual fitting for an air compressor, or for a regular pump. But if for a compressor I use a generic one from autozone, cut the stock piece off the hose and jam a crackpipe in there instead. you may have seen it in action in transition at several ironman races last season at the neutral support tent.

http://www.autozone.com/...ial-gauge/977879_0_0

Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [A_Hooligan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Silca adapter and it works great. Twice this year I've tried to buy another disc adapter, different brands each time, so I'd have a back up. Each of those other adapters turned out to be crap. So I still don't have a back up.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
How hard is it to get a decent air chuck adapter for a disc? Can someone point my in right direction here? Tired of wasting $.
Thank you!

X4 - Silco Hiro is the best one out there but it is pricey.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, it is perfect

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Silca Hiro from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
[/quote]
ErickBar wrote:
[/quote]How hard is it to get a decent air chuck adapter for a disc? Can someone point my in right direction here? Tired of wasting $.
Thank you![/quote]

X4 -[/url] Silco Hiro[/url] is the best one out there but it is pricey.[/quote]
Holy Shit!

A $100 for this? I have used a crack pipe for years and I haven't had any problems with it. I can't believe how much that Silco cost, must be amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Power] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ErickBar wrote:
[/quote]How hard is it to get a decent air chuck adapter for a disc? Can someone point my in right direction here? Tired of wasting $.
Thank you![/quote]

X4 -[/url] Silco Hiro[/url] is the best one out there but it is pricey.[/quote]
Holy Shit!

A $100 for this? I have used a crack pipe for years and I haven't had any problems with it. I can't believe how much that Silco cost, must be amazing.[/quote]
Yep it is super pricey and cheaper ones work as well. I also have a cheaper rec but I find myself on race morning, when in a tizzy, that it is just more reliable. Now that I have tubeless and too little pressure causes bead to fall off, it is even more valueable. The last thing I need is my tubeless setup coming undone with a botched chuck placement, and the ease of the lock mech is really nice and helpful.

Is it necessary no, is it expensive heck yes, but this is not $280 Roka Aviators sunglasses either. A little more function out of this IMHO. It has been my one Silca splurge over the years unless you count the tubeless tape and valves.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see your point. I definitely would not want a bead to fall off on race morning. That would just add unnecessary stress, so I can see the value of having one of these if you're running tubeless.

I had never seen one of these until you posted it. It was price shock at first, but I understand why you prefer it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the Silca Disc Adapter.

I think the Silca Hiro is awful. Big, clumsy, and with a fiddle factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree on disliking the Hiro. I bought it because of all of the positive things I've read but I have been disappointed. Maybe it's just user error and my engineer brain can't understand the logic of putting the bulky mechanism with a lever inside the small cut out on a Super 9. It's fine for general use but a PITA for the disc.

I use the Silca Disc adapter but don't really love it either.

On the todo list: adapter for the xlab nanoflator so I can use it with the floor pump. I think this co2 inflator is great and it's crying out to be used with the floor pump for the super 9. (note: nanoflator gets mixed reviews but I've had very positive experiences with it)

-Rekabdot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the KCNC Pump Head and it works great. Same basic mechanism as the Silca Hiro and the Hirame pump heads, but less than half the price. Since KCNC is in Taiwan and doesn't have super wide US distribution, it seems that eBay is the easiest source. http://www.ebay.com/...p-Hose-/121526358673

I use it with my disc all the time and it works perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Silca disc adapter https://silca.cc/...isc-wheel-mini-chuck

This works for me too.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [RekabDot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The silca hiro does not work with a super 9 from what I remember reading. You have to use the standard disc adaptor from silca which works perfectly fine.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one that comes with Lezyne pumps (Speed Chuck) seems to work reasonably well for me. It doesn't blow off (i.e., it's one handed) If properly seated.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
The silca hiro does not work with a super 9 from what I remember reading. You have to use the standard disc adaptor from silca which works perfectly fine.

The issue is not with the Hiro and the Super9. It's with the Hiro+Super9+Vittoria latex tubes.

Vittoria latex tubes have 53mm valve stems, which are too long for you to fit the Hiro inside. I use Vredestein latex tubes (buy them on ebay) with 42mm stems for this reason. But if you don't use latex tubes - or don't use Vittoria latex tubes - you won't have an issue. It's strictly related to the length of the valve stem on that tube with the Super9.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the same as Rappstar, I have the Silca Hiro V2 chuck

http://www.trisports.com/...ng-presta-chuck.html

And use the short valve latex tubes with my super 9, no issues at all.

Forget all the other adapters, just get the above Silca, works perfect, hands free. I just leave it on my pump full time now and use on every wheel. That way I don't lose it.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
I have the KCNC Pump Head and it works great. Same basic mechanism as the Silca Hiro and the Hirame pump heads, but less than half the price. Since KCNC is in Taiwan and doesn't have super wide US distribution, it seems that eBay is the easiest source. http://www.ebay.com/...p-Hose-/121526358673

I use it with my disc all the time and it works perfectly.

I use this one as well. No issues over the last three years with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
stevej wrote:

The issue is not with the Hiro and the Super9. It's with the Hiro+Super9+Vittoria latex tubes.

Vittoria latex tubes have 53mm valve stems, which are too long for you to fit the Hiro inside. I use Vredestein latex tubes (buy them on ebay) with 42mm stems for this reason. But if you don't use latex tubes - or don't use Vittoria latex tubes - you won't have an issue. It's strictly related to the length of the valve stem on that tube with the Super9.

Ahh yes that's right. Now I remember that being the case. Thanks for the clarification.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 5 different chucks...including the Hiro (I had version 1 and now have version 2). The one that is the most reliable and easy to use is the cheapest one that came with my Super 9. I screw it into my Lezyne pump with the ABS2 head and I am good to go. The Hiro is a nice piece of engineering, but i also find it bulky and I end up having to mess with it more than a plain threaded crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
stevej wrote:

Ahh yes that's right. Now I remember that being the case. Thanks for the clarification.

I read this a couple of times too, but after trying michelin, vredestein and vittoria, I found the Hiro adapter works best with Vittoria. 2016 Super-9 for the record. The Hiro is a bit bulky, but it works for me. On the other hand, the adaptor included with super-9 doesn't really work, as it requires one of my hands to hold it down continously.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the size issue with the HIRO V2 is related not to the size of HIRO but rather the fact that the Vittoria valve stems have grown by 12mm over the last few years and the access hole in the Super9 has not. HIRO V2 is smaller than the Hirame and the KCNC, but the reality is that you only have about 14mm of head space when using a 51mm valve stem in a Super9, so you will have to use a standard adaptor.

The Hiro vs standard adaptor discussion should really rely on your frequency of use. Our standard adapter easily holds to 120+psi (which is more than you should almost ever be running..) and is pretty darn quick and easy to use. The Hiro can hold to much higher pressures and is much faster in operation..it makes sense if you're doing this a lot. We have about half the pro-tour teams using them as the speed and ease of use clearly offsets the high price of the tool.

Either one of them will effectively get the job done and in our testing, both work better than pretty much anything else out there. The exception being the Hiram..that is a really nice and effective product, but it's slightly larger than HIRO V2 so that can be limiting.

Nick at TriRig has probably the most comprehensive review for this category and also updated the review when we launched HIRO V2 as that product incorporated many of the suggestions and dealt with many of the complaints with the original one.

http://www.tririg.com/...Silca_Hiro_v2_Review
http://www.tririg.com/...9_Pump_Head_Shootout

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply

Prev Next