Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Goals this week are 6 runs done , 6 swims done, 2 bikes did one!.

I ran 46.3 mi, rode 15 mi, and swam 8700 yds. Pleased with the week; I had two good run speed workouts.

I had a work crisis (not related to my dissertation) pop up on Thursday, so I've been super busy and have been in my office all weekend. But - family gets here Wednesday and I defend my dissertation Thursday. I will have a fun weekend this coming weekend, and I won't work Wed. or Fri. of this week.

Back to making slides. Goals this week: 3 swims (1 done), 6 runs. If I run fewer days than that because family is here that's fine.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll be rooting for you on Thursday, TC. Let us know how it goes.

Arrgh, another week without a swim for me. It's so much trouble to get to a pool. I had a couple of good bikes. This weekend I did the first bit of a route I used to ride training for 140.6. I almost felt like my old self--until I realized I would be tempting fate if I did my "usual" run off the bike then a swim to warm down.

Off to my ortho/sport doc tomorrow. She moved me to a much shorter follow-up because at last exam my left side, including my toes, weren't working right. It seems to be better now, so hopefully she'll give me an all clear.

How did the week go for the rest of the womens?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope the appointment goes well!

I've always felt that one of the perks of being in academia is my pool access, LOL

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope your ortho appointment goes well! I have been so remiss in getting to the pool, it's terrible. My goal for the next 3 weeks before nationals is to get to the pool 3 times each week. With the recent flooding in our area, I'm a little hesitant to swim in the river behind my house just yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am tired and sore, but my week was ok.

Last week's goals:
run x 3 incl 100k race on Sat: win
core/strength x 1: win
foam roll x 1: win
yoga x 1: win

I got out of bed at 2:45am on Saturday morning, started running at 6am, and finally stopped just before 10pm.

It was dark when we arrived, overcast and mild for most of the day, then the sun came out around 4:30pm and it got quite warm before the sun set and the fog began to appear.

It was pretty. I love Dundas Valley Conservation Area.

Along side the trail - so incredibly lush in the spring.

Some gentle hills on the Reforestation Trail - nothing like the major climbs to come.

Of course, we had a nice day for running...but it had rained for the prior 3 days, so there was a touch of mud.

Some people tried going around it, causing some pretty big lineups in places. I'm not pretty enough to care about getting dirty, so..

Of course, that meant that mud made its way into my socks by halfway through the second of my five 20km laps. I have some pretty legendary blistering under my 2nd and 3rd toes on each foot - I had brought along 3 extra pairs of socks and an extra pair of shoes, but since the mud was really impossible to fully avoid I knew it would just result in more muddy shoes & socks.

It was tough going up some of the slippery mud climbs, though.

And downright dangerous on the crossover "trail" to the Sulphur Creek bridge - trying not to slide off the sharply side-sloped trail into a 40 foot deep gully.

That, however, is not where I actually bailed. Nope, I managed to catch my left toe on something on the groomed, gravelly downhill portion of the Headwaters loop. I was doing a good clip at the time and nearly managed to run it out, but realised I was going down so tried to tuck and roll a bit. Roll I definitely did, after hitting hard enough to dent the aluminum body of the "lifeproof" camera I was carrying that lap (which fortunately still works just fine) - back up onto my feet and kept on moving before my gashed-open knee, road-rashed shoulder or banged up elbow had time to seize up on me.

I mean, I only had another 43.5km to go...piece of cake, right?

Rub some mud on it, eat some bacon (pictured above), and get it done.

Took my headlamp out with me for the last lap and needed it for the final hour or so - pitch dark when I finally made the last climb up f$%*ing Martin Rd to the finish line.

(This only shows about a third of the full climb, which twists a bit and is steep enough that most vehicles are unable to drive up it - their wheels just end up spinning)

I actually managed to run it in over the line, finishing 100km in 15:54:57 - 3/6 among W<40, 8/25 women and 25/55 O/A. I'll take it.

My left foot & ankle are in very bad shape - there's some nasty plantar fasciitis going on there, plus some damage from the pounding all day. Managed not to roll it, though! The final lap was a bit of a shit show, but since I started it at 80km and 12h15m without ever having run more than 72km/12h before, that was probably to be expected - particularly once it got dark and I had to navigate the mud puddles AND the downhill section where I'd fallen by headlamp. My splits were pretty awful - 2h40m, 2h55m, 3h14m, 3h26m & 3h39m, so almost an hour slower on the last than the first - but overall I'm pleased I made it through and I don't think I have any actual injuries.

This week's goals:
Whatever I damn well please. I get tired very easily and hobble when I walk due to my left foot being so sore, so I need to focus on recovery because I have a very technical 56k race coming up in less than 6 weeks. It's just for fun - one that I haven't done before - but I'd like to get through it without hurting myself. So, rest for now and try to heal up. Got some awesome colour in the bruising on my elbow at the moment!

Quote | Reply
Wow, congrats on the finish! That is such a long way to run!!!
Are you super tired, or still wired on endorphins?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started (almost Dr.) tigerchik and best wishes for a successful defense!
Way to go mistressk, you are a machine! I hope your foot and ankle heal quickly and that you enjoy a well deserved break this week.
I have my fingers crossed for you Tri3, good luck at your appointment.

My week was fine, I hit all my planned workouts but moved things around a bit due to a US holiday/unexpected guests/socializing.

Fitness-wise, the only thing of note is that I brought my deadlift working weight back over 200 pounds for the first time in a long time. As a formerly super scrawny athlete, lifting "big" makes me feel super confident and proud of what I've accomplished from a strength-perspective. [I arbitrarily define "big" here as anything greater than 150% of my body weight and am knocking that out of the park]

My weekends are a swim/bike and bike/run bricks, so this week I'll have a total of three bikes, three swims, three runs, two strength sessions, daily p/rehab, and a yoga class (if I'm lucky two!). I am trying to get in a lot of quality sessions before the travel starts.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week -- happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to gut it out, MK. Sounds like it was epic!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much womens! It was tough to feel like I'd really achieved much, since there were also 100 mile and 200 mile (!) races going on at the same time. We actually went back down to the race site the next day at 11am to watch the last hour before the cutoff time for 100 & 200 miles - the 200 milers had started at noon on Thursday, and the last of the official finishers came in with just 20mins before the 72hr time limit! We also saw Bobby Keough come in just before noon from his 15th lap, then head out for his 16th (to make 200 miles) even knowing he would be far over time - I guess at 67 years old you do what you damn well please, and Bobby was an amazing source of cheer on the trails! Seeing the strength, determination and triumph of such a special group of people was amazing - just an incredible event to be a part of, even in a small way.

I'm finally starting to feel a bit human again. My legs were ok yesterday but my left foot was still very painful. It's feeling better today - not perfect, but a lot of improvement. Finally got up the energy to foam roll a bit this morning; I get tired so very easily right now. Last night I did some pruning of trees and shrubs in our backyard and went for less than a kilometer walk, and was totally wiped out. Part of it is that I haven't been getting as much sleep as I should (don't think I've even had a 7-hour night yet), but I'm also pretty familiar with the post-long-race weariness that will take at least a week or so to fade. I've finally stopped eating everything that's not nailed down and the horrible edema in my lower legs is diminishing - only mild cankle on the left side remains - and stairs no longer pose a problem, so I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Good luck tomorrow TC!

Quote | Reply
Good luck today, tigerchik!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! I'm nervous!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you are past the hard part and onto the ice cream by now.

Here's an adult way to be geeky and cool. https://svahausa.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Just doing a final run through, actually. It's at 4 pm :-)

cool site!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soon... I watched my friend do her defense many, many years ago - she's now an assistant professor at a prestigious university for her field.

You've got this!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the thread but hope it went well!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well now I want a glow in the dark jellyfish dress...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Well now I want a glow in the dark jellyfish dress...

Me too.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I passed!
love,
Dr. Tigerchik

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 29 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! Congratulations. All hail Dr TC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Dr. Tigerchik! I hope you enjoy some well deserved R&R.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!
Quote Reply