Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 22 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 22 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: day off from running, 6 swims, 1 bike. (I can get on my bike once!)

ALL GOALS ACCOMPLISHED! Yes, I rode my bike!

I wrote about my week on another thread and rather than reiterating the bad stuff, I would just like to thank you all for the support.
I am going to reiterate one of the GOOD things, which is that I submitted my dissertation :D another good thing later in the week was that a friend had a baby (friend is in Maine so I haven't met baby yet) and I am super excited for she, her husband, and the super adorable baby.

Last week I ran 6 times for 52.7 miles, swam 6 times for 9800 yds (about half of that was in one really great LCM swim :-), and rode 5 miles on my bike.

Goals this week are 6 runs, 6 swims, 2 bikes.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you are focusing on the positive TC.

I kind of forgot it's Monday (long weekend here). We've spent the weekend doing yard work - cutting down trees and garden prep. My body hurts.

Going for a run in a bit to see if I can get less stiff.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 22 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, what's the holiday?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Victoria Day Long Weekend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Day

Last week I managed 5 rides (on 4 days) for a total of 118 miles (give or take). No strength work - I'm not entirely sure how I spent my time last week but it just seemed to shoot by. My mom arrived on Saturday so have been busy hanging with her since and she is staying until Thursday.

I had an initial appointment with an orthodontist who suggested that I should have major jaw surgery; it wasn't entirely clear how this would solve the receding gum I have on one tooth and while having my jaw forced shut for 6 weeks would be one way to get to race weight, I shall not be availing myself of it.

This week: 5 rides/150 miles and 2 strength sessions. Also, a bonus walk in the woods (already done).

Congrats on the dissertation and on meeting your goals for the week!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 22 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had an initial appointment with an orthodontist who suggested that I should have major jaw surgery; it wasn't entirely clear how this would solve the receding gum I have on one tooth and while having my jaw forced shut for 6 weeks would be one way to get to race weight, I shall not be availing myself of it.

An oral surgeon should be able to take tissue from the roof of your mouth and use it to fix the receding gum - my mom has had that done.

Congrats on your bike mileage, and enjoy the family time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life, recovering from back injury (flood/sandbagging stuff), etc. means I've come up pretty short in my training hours the past couple of weeks. Managed to pull off 2nd OA and 1st AG on Saturday at my first (super sprint) tri of the season... but I have some work to do in order to get close to where I need to be for Nationals next month. We'll see how the next 4 weeks go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, sounds like everyone is still moving forward. With all our combined aches and ouchies that's a good thing. Congrats again on the dissertation, TC.

I had a light training race. Not much choice, really. It was about four days before I felt that I was starting to get my wind back from racing the previous weekend. This week I'm shooting to get back on a training schedule. I'm shooting for 3 swims, 4 bikes and 6 run/walks.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your dissertation, tigerchik -- I'm glad you have the perspective to focus on the positive and get on your bike too!

Good work on the race, surroundhound! Fingers crossed for you, Scheherazade!

Last week, I recovered with yoga, climbing, paddle boarding -- it felt great to do whatever unstructured active things I enjoy for a few days but now I'm back to regular training. I finished the week with a run, a swim, a swim/bike brick and a bike/run brick.

My training partner and I decided to sign up for Coeur d'Alene 70.3 at the end of June. I think a hillier bike course will serve me and my road bike well and it's supposed to be very beautiful. Has anyone done that race? I have about a month to train and then taper -- I'm traveling for work and life (wedding season!) for more than half the days in June so I'll be squeezing it in.

This week, I have three bikes, three swims, three runs, two strength sessions, daily p/rehab, and two yoga classes (my weekends will be swim/bike and bike/run bricks).

I hope everyone has a wonderful week -- happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to all the ladies smashing it with dissertations and training. Happy Victoria Day to my neighbors to the south, from Detroit. ;) We ended up in Ottawa on our honeymoon for Victoria Day and I have lots of good memories from that time!

Last week wasn't bad, I just ran and rode my new bike. I took it outside twice and the wheels didn't go flying off, so that's a good sign. I haven't changed out the pedal cages yet because since I THINK it's a job that takes 10 minutes, surely it would have been an hour and a half. I learned my lesson after "Oh, I'll just install this bottle cage real quick" a few years ago. Saturday was a beautiful day for riding and I made sure to be thankful to be out. I have been slacking on yoga, pre-hab, weights, and everything else but I am doing the best I can with my limited time.

I didn't make it to the pool last week but I went last night for the second time this year. Of course I'm slow but I feel like it's coming back to me. I stopped going last summer after I started having hyperventilating attacks in the pool and a panic attack on an OWS race I'd done three times before. I'm feeling much less anxious this year after discovering some underlying health issues, so fingers crossed I'll be able to make some progress. I haven't signed up for any races yet this year -- maybe I'll stick to running for a while, shoot for a 5K PR, actually race a half-marathon.

My husband is out of town later this week and I have some time off so I really want to do a mini-training camp at home, but alas I might have to help a friend move. Either way I hope to do some relaxing and catch up on my shows.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Ladies!

Another week has gone by! Wow. It look like it was a pretty packed week for everybody. Hope everybody can stay strong through the hard stuff and savor the good stuff.

I was in a light week mode so not much to show.

Swim x0
Bike x3 (+2 bike with mechanicals within 5 miles of starting)
Run x0.3 (aborted effort after 10 minutes)

I was glad to take it easy last week - I needed the break and had so much work to catch up on.

I enjoyed a 60 mile ride on Sunday in the most perfect weather a person could ever ask for. I really enjoyed the ride - and it was on my new bike! Pictures of the bike for next week - dropped it off after my ride at the shop for a few more tweaks/upgrades. In related news, I don't like 170 cranks. Ugh. So glad my new 165 cranks finally came in - getting those swapped out!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? May 22 Edition [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback CalamityJane88 -- I've been to Southern and Central Idaho and to Western Washington but this will be my first time in this pretty little slice of America. Worst case, it sounds like we'll have a pretty epic road trip to and from the race. It's not too late to sign up for June 25 if it fits your life.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I was having lots of work load. But weekend was awesome. All wells that ends well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ladies are all rockin' it!

Last week's goals:
run x 4: win
swim x 1: win with 2
core/strength x 4: win

Made the final call on Friday afternoon that we were going for this backpacking trip despite some discouraging descriptions of both the weather and the trail - the former supposed to be very wet on our full day in Frontenac (best part of an inch of all-day rain predicted) and the latter reported to be very technical, which isn't a great combination - and got all packed up Friday evening. Traffic was TERRIBLE (stupid long weekend!) so we didn't make it onto the trail until almost 5pm, but had warm sunshine to traipse the first 6km in to Doe Lake and were happily set up with a pile of foraged firewood before sunset.

Had cell reception, so checked the forecast - they weren't calling for rain until 4pm Sunday, but I have trust issues so we tarped off one end of the picnic table anyway for our breakfast nook. Good thing - we awoke at 7:30am with rain pattering on the tent, and light showers continued on and off all day.

There are tons of dried-out streams in the park because of all the beaver dams.

Some of which actually form part of the trail.

Other bits involve some technical climbing, particularly up the west side of Slide Lake.

Or in and out of Devil's Gorge, but you are rewarded with some pretty views:

Even a couple of pretty waterfalls near the north Slide Lake junction.

Which were almost worth being eaten alive, though only just barely in Tank's estimation.

It took us 4.5hrs to make almost 12km up and over Slide Lake and down the east side to the Buck Lake campsite cluster, arriving around 3pm. Lots of time to set up camp and gather more firewood.

Of course Tank was just about done breaking the wood down to useful sizes when the rain came sweeping in, hard. It let off for awhile just before sunset, after I'd made dinner, so we went searching in our wood piles for some of the dry sticks underneath and got a fire going anyway. We spent the whole evening in full rain gear either hanging out by the fire or under the tarped-off table.

Leisurely bacon'n'eggs breakfast during the last of the showers after hard rain on Sunday night, then we packed up and hit the trail by half past noon.

There were still some pretty sketchy bits, made all the more complicated by the slippery conditions due to the rain, but most of the way out was much less technical than the trails we'd been on for the previous 2 days.

No less buggy, though - they actually got much worse as the day wore on and the sun came out, both mosquitos and blackflies. Tank snapped and put on his head net again, and we barely stopped in the last hour as he just wanted to be away from the little flying arseholes.

We were back at our car by 4:15pm - the 11.7km that we'd heard was a 6-hour trek only took us 3h45m, including a 15min pack-off break at Flagpole Hill for lunch. It was a much more aggressive trip than I'd really wanted for less than a week before a 100km race, but we had a great time despite the rain, bugs, and literally having to crawl up a couple of hills on hands & knees even though we both had trekking poles!

This week's goals:
run x 3 incl 100k race on Sat (1 run done)
core/strength x 1 (done)
foam roll x 1 (done)
yoga x 1

I need to get as much sleep as possible - awful traffic meant we didn't get home from Frontenac until 10:30pm on Monday, so it was just a shower and roll into bed. Had to go grocery shopping and get the packs unloaded last night, so I ran on my lunch and I'm taking today off from training to try for an earlier night to bed. Will do one more short (~30min) shake-out run tomorrow after work and then it's just try to get rested and ready for a 3am wake-up call on Saturday morning. Race starts at 6am - just over 42hrs from now!

Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great weekend! The worst bugs I've encountered were in Yellowknife in the middle of summer. Ugh. It was almost torture - they were unrelenting.

Good luck at your race!
Quote Reply