Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My vet lost my dog
Quote | Reply
Well, her remains anyway. Had to have my almost 16 year old Shiba Inu euthanized 4 weeks ago. They told us we would get her ashes back in 1 to 2 weeks. I called this past Monday which was 3+ weeks, they said they would check into it. Never heard from them. Went there in person today, they said the place that handles the cremations sometimes gets backed up and 4 weeks wasn't unheard of but I got the cremation service's number. I called them and they said "you mean they haven't talked to you yet?" The vet (large nationwide chain) marked "do not return" on the form when they sent my dog in. So not only did they screw that up, they've known about this for 4 days and haven't called me.

I'm beyond pissed.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I could not imagine. I would be pissed too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really horrible. I can't believe they didn't contact you. :(

I hope they reimburse you for the cost of cremation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's horrible. They can never make it right but I hope they do the right thing. Sorry for your loss.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is seriously fucked up.

Making an administrative error that resulted in you not getting your ashes back is bad, but chalk that up to human error. It happens.

Not telling you immediately, and further actively avoiding telling you borders on professional misconduct. I would complain to the head office of the company and even to your State vet board (not sure you have one).

What is a national vet chain? Never heard of such a thing.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Banfield Pet Hospital, located inside Petsmart stores.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd lose my shit. Inexcusable. So sorry to hear about this, man. I wish I could offer more, but, you have my deepest empathy.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not even sure how I'd react. Not telling you is so far beyond fucked up. I could see the police being called to get the screaming man removed from the office.

My last 3 dogs are buried on my property, mostly because my wife really wanted to know what happened to them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. I've only used Banfield when I've known what the issue is and so I pay less than my usual vet. Many of the vets at those clinics seem pretty inexperienced at least in my neck of the woods. I lost two a little more than a year ago. They have a great service here in Or, a bunch of veterinarians take call so I had a vet come to my house on both occasions to say goodbye here. Then they transported them with the most respect, stretcher, blankets and all, to the crematorium and ashes of both were delivered to my doorstep. The latter part they no longer do and you have to pick them up, but I would highly recommend an at home service should you need it again. Worth every penny. I would be utterly pissed if I were you too. I hope you get some closure. Losing a pet is hard enough without that.
Last edited by: madonebug: May 19, 17 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about that. It's inexcusable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People make mistakes, but they should absorb your bill as a courtesy. Otherwise, first thing I'd do is change vets and be sure to let them know why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awful, hard enough losing a dog but that is inexcusable on the vets part. Sorry to hear.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
People make mistakes, but they should absorb your bill as a courtesy. Otherwise, first thing I'd do is change vets and be sure to let them know why.

They have probably a 1000 outlets not gonna care.... it would be like telling Tim Norton's your never going back
Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom's vet came to her house to put her dog down. It made a very hard day slightly better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry. That's awful.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
Well, her remains anyway. Had to have my almost 16 year old Shiba Inu euthanized 4 weeks ago. They told us we would get her ashes back in 1 to 2 weeks. I called this past Monday which was 3+ weeks, they said they would check into it. Never heard from them. Went there in person today, they said the place that handles the cremations sometimes gets backed up and 4 weeks wasn't unheard of but I got the cremation service's number. I called them and they said "you mean they haven't talked to you yet?" The vet (large nationwide chain) marked "do not return" on the form when they sent my dog in. So not only did they screw that up, they've known about this for 4 days and haven't called me.

I'm beyond pissed.
Sorry . 16 years old? Thats amazing. You must be a great person to live with.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
My mom's vet came to her house to put her dog down. It made a very hard day slightly better.

That what ours does too, she works out of Castor. I'd say the majority of her work is house calls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cremation is not cheap, and you can't put a price on the sadness of losing your pet (literally and figuratively in this case). I hope you raise holy hell and get a refund, not just a pathetic half-hearted apology. They need to learn lying to clients is absolutely inexcusable , and must never happen again. Idiots!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really sorry to read your story.

I stopped going to Banfield after a routine dental cleaning, where some decay was noted and they said they may need to pull a tooth. Without calling me they pulled several, and they were unappoligetic about it.

Because of the extent of the work they auto enrolled me in their pet insurance program. Financially helpful, maybe, but another thing that wasn't discussed.

My cat's personality was affected for a few months following that. I switched vets.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have seen vet industry is changing. Used to be smaller practices maybe a few partners now more multi-clinic vet in a box situation. Sounds like you guys have old school vets or new vet with old school habits. NIce.

racin_rusty wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

That what ours does too, she works out of Castor. I'd say the majority of her work is house calls.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banfield finally contacted me today. Offered their condolences, yada yada yada. They are going to send me a "remembrance ornament" whatever that is. Refunding me something, not sure if it's the cost of the cremation or the entire cost, at that point I was so livid I could hardly speak. Not sure what I'm going to do from here.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
Banfield finally contacted me today. Offered their condolences, yada yada yada. They are going to send me a "remembrance ornament" whatever that is. Refunding me something, not sure if it's the cost of the cremation or the entire cost, at that point I was so livid I could hardly speak. Not sure what I'm going to do from here.

Looking from the outside in that's at least a start. Glad they reached out to you.

If I was in your shoes I'd be ripping pissed. I could maybe understand the mistake but the not be upfront with it would have me on the war path.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will give you an objective opinion (non dog owner, but I do have an adopted cat I don't like).

Professionally, this is totally hosed up and at a minimum they should fully refund whatever you paid for the cremation. The lack of the accountability for their error would make me very angry (regardless of the emotional issue of the ashes). I would agree with others sentiments to file complaints/grievances to as high a level as you feel inclined, you are totally justified.

As far as losing your pet's ashes, I would suggest think about your personal beliefs. Unless you believe dogs go to heaven or get reincarnated or something, what you lost is physically ashes, no intrinsic value. You have all of your emotional memories of your pet, the significance of the ashes is only what you chose to make of them. Probably best to let it go and just think of the fond memories of your pet instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is outside of your story... but what were you going to do with the remains?

Sorry for your loss. We had planned to spread our dogs ashes in places we/he loved to visit but still, today, we have the ashes in a tin box in a cupboard.
Quote Reply
Re: My vet lost my dog [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spread them in our backyard and at our Campground. I'm not a hugely sentimental person; I'm equally pissed that they knew about it for a week before finally calling me and then I found out from the cremation place not from Banfield that screwed it up.

I was really upset until I found out that her remains were scattered at the cremation place has a Memorial Garden and she wasn't tossed into a landfill.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply

Prev Next