Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Job market for EEs
Quote | Reply
have a son who's considering EE degree. Anyone is the biz have thoughts on job prospects/areas of focus?
Quote Reply
Re: Job market for EEs [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd look into robotics controls.

Automation is big.

You can go to indeed.com and search electrical engineer and see what comes up. I just searched electrical engineer robotics and a ton of jobs came up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
have a son who's considering EE degree. Anyone is the biz have thoughts on job prospects/areas of focus?

This probably won't be helpful, but in the early 80's, in the engineering building on the CU campus, I saw some graffiti that stuck with me:

Double the current,
Double the flux.
Double the homework,
Double-E sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a masters in EE, but want to live in the Pacific Northwest.

Consequently, I'm now a software engineer.

If your son has desired areas to call home, he should probably consider the job market in that area. I didn't want to move to the bay area, so I changed my career path to match my goals.

I also make more in software than in EE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think people should hire on the basis of breast size ...

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Automation and controls, he won't ever go wrong with that: if you're the one designing, building, and servicing the automation, then automation won't ever be able to take your job.

But have him diversify and get his hands into as much as possible. EE covers quite a few areas of possibilities, never know what he might decide he likes.

Note: I'm just a master electrician with a 2 year degree who now gets paid to play automation engineer. So I may be a bit biased...
Quote Reply