Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction?
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/...ne-guilty/index.html

What say the LR? Do we believe in sex addiction?

This guy fucked his life up royally and repeatedly. I am inclined to believe he has an addiction. And that he is a creep. This is where my diagnosis runs up against a wall. I would never blame an alcoholic or a drug addict for their addiction. Probably the difference for me is that he was knowingly chatting up a 15 year old. He could have satisfied his addiction with an age appropriate partner.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compulsion, certainly.

Addiction? Whatever. Applying the term is just an attempt to minimize personalresponsibility.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So then, who does one blame when the alcoholic/drug addict plows over people on a side walk in New York?

As the mayor of new yuk once said,"it's just a dui"!
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
So then, who does one blame when the alcoholic/drug addict plows over people on a side walk in New York?

That is a fair point. I guess you can do both. Blame him for specific actions whilst being forgiving and understanding of the addiction.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be forgiving if it was your daughter he ran over and killed because of his "addiction"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know anyone who works in addiction services who take any responsibility away from the adict. The whole, "Addiction just means people don't take responsibility." line of crap are said as preemptive blab. Saying that someone is addicted is just a part of a bigger story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy gets to think about his "addiction" for about 20 years!!!!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/...-teens-white-n761891
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
Would you be forgiving if it was your daughter he ran over and killed because of his "addiction"?

Pretty sure I just answered that. Being forgiving of someone's addictions is not the same as forgiving their specific actions. Lots of addicts go their entire lives without mowing anyone down in traffic ;)

===============
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
until they kill someone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:

Being an addict doesn't absolve them from responsibility. Addictions can be overcome. I'm sure it's quite hard to break an addiction (try getting me to stop riding my bike...), but you still have some responsibility for your actions.

As to whether Wiener has an addiction, I couldn't say one way or the other. But either way, he did what he did and needs to bear the consequences.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having an addiction does not absolve you of responsibility for the consequences of acting on the addiction. If you are an alcoholic you don't have to get in a car and drive it. If you have a sex addiction indulging it with a 15 year old is just reprehensive. Done.

dvfmfidc wrote:

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The defense council says the addiction is responsible but you would be hard pushed to find any competent mental health professional or someone working their own personal treatment who would excuse bad behavior because of an addiction. The whole idea that addiction is a free pass for everything is a myth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rooted in inferiority.

Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"some responsibility for your actions"....who shares the other part of "some of that responsibility? . I will settle for "FULL" responsibility for their actions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
"some responsibility for your actions"....who shares the other part of "some of that responsibility? . I will settle for "FULL" responsibility for their actions...

You either didn't read or ignored the next paragraph.

"As to whether Wiener has an addiction, I couldn't say one way or the other. But either way, he did what he did and needs to bear the consequences. "

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/anthony-weine-guilty/index.html

This guy fucked his life up royally and repeatedly. I am inclined to believe he has an addiction. And that he is a creep. This is where my diagnosis runs up against a wall. I would never blame an alcoholic or a drug addict for their addiction. Probably the difference for me is that he was knowingly chatting up a 15 year old. He could have satisfied his addiction with an age appropriate partner.

Addict? Are you kidding me?
No one's called this douche a pedophile yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

Can't he be both?

===============
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The defense council says the addiction is responsible but you would be hard pushed to find any competent mental health professional or someone working their own personal treatment who would excuse bad behavior because of an addiction. The whole idea that addiction is a free pass for everything is a myth.
Agreed. In Weiner's case, its a weakness in his character not an addition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can condition our brains to get addicted to almost anything but the way he's talking sounds like he's blaming his "sickness" and not himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As an addict myself, I have never sought, nor do I deserve, any kind of forgiveness for actions I've taken.

I own them fully.

This is how I cope with my mistakes as well, but do you forgive yourself? what happens when the affected party comes over and says ''I forgive you''?
What's the thought process there if I may know? a recent situation---fresh wound comes to mind.
Last edited by: Prince_Denmark: May 19, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being an addict is one thing, taking (or shirking) responsibility is another thing; they are neither mutually exclusive nor automatically conflated.

AW could meet the clinical definition of an addict, or not. Blaming his actions on his claimed 'sickness' is certainly a douche move and an evasion for which he deserves scorn, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't suffering from an addiction too. Recognizing it is a necessary step, and then taking responsibility is another step in the process of getting better. Hopefully he gets there soon, whether or not his obvious problem fits into a semantically tidy box labeled "addiction."
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Prince_Denmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is how I cope with my mistakes as well, but do you forgive yourself? what happens when the affected party comes over and says ''I forgive you''?
What's the thought process there if I may know?

I don't understand the conflict here.

Just because you own your own mistakes and take responsibility for them doesn't mean you can't forgive yourself. Still less does it mean others can't forgive you.

One might argue that you can't be actually forgiven until you take responsibility for your wrongdoing.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Wiener is such a creep, but is it an addiction? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

I guess I didn't realize he had moved on to kids. When I saw that he had done it again I just kind of tuned it out. We probably won't be seeing much of him for a long time.

Addiction, compulsion, dumbassery, not sure. But he is one fucked up individual who has quite thoroughly destroyed his life and taken down a few others with him.

I don't know if he classifies as a pedophile. Yes, this incident would be there, but it doesn't seem like sexual attraction is his motive and he certainly doesn't limit it to under age girls. He'll send any and every body a picture of his junk.

OK, enough thinking about Carlos, he is not worth the electrons.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:

No. I wouldn't be as forgiving. But that's not the point.

In fact, you could always flip that around. Would you be forgiving and understanding if your daughter, because of her "addiction," ran over and killed someone? Or would you insist that the full weight of the law be applied, with the harshest punishment possible notwithstanding the addiction?

It's not realistic to expect people emotionally invested to react completely rationally.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: May 19, 17 12:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next