Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blue Light Filters?
Quote | Reply
I was talking with an engineer who knows I spend a lot of time on the computer. He asked me if I have ever heard of "blue light" glasses. I hadn't. He gave me a 30 second explanation, but it piqued my curiosity.

Anyone read much about this or tried blue light filters or glasses?

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is evidence that too much screen time on modern LED devices messes with our circadian rhythm - especially before before bed.
This shouldn't be too complex of a problem though,
1. You can wear blue filter glasses. These are basically yellow/orange filters (complimentary to blue/violet), maybe with some near UV protection as well. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a pair. Its kinda dorky and impractical in many cases.

2. Many modern LED devices have built in internal "filters" - i.e. they turn down the blue LEDs, leaving the screen looking kinda orange-yellow. My kids laptop and tablet is set to automatically switch to blue-light reduction after 19:00.

3. Get yourself and especially the kids off the LED devices (TVs, Tablets, Phones) once it starts getting dark outside.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: May 19, 17 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I set everything to filter at 8PM and it has improved my ability to fall asleep. Psychosomatic perhaps but who knows
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use f.lux on my Macbook and it's set to filter with the times of seasonal daylight times. I've also greatly reduced TV time in the evening & read fewer books on the tablet and more paper books or the old-style Kindle e-reader, which doesn't emit blue light. I find myself falling asleep earlier and deeper so I think cutting the blue light has helped, but I'm still falling asleep on the couch & waking up sometime after midnight & stumbling up to bed; actually setting a bedtime is the next step, I suppose, but one thing at a time.

windywave wrote:
I set everything to filter at 8PM and it has improved my ability to fall asleep. Psychosomatic perhaps but who knows
Quote Reply