Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki
Quote | Reply
Thinking about heading to Honolulu for Memorial Day weekend. I'm looking for good beach hotel or VRBO recommendations. It's just me and my wife :-)
Last edited by: scooter58: May 18, 17 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki [scooter58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa for a couple days. I like that it's towards the end of Waikiki, which made traversing through the main parts of Waikiki a bit difficult, but easier for getting out to the highway via Kapahulu Ave. Maybe not what you care about if you're only looking to be there for two or three days. I have to believe that a lot of the hotels are about the same, but the Moana Westin next to Dukes could be a bit more plush. It's got the pool right next to the beach and good location. I like my Hilton points, and I may like to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village near to the Original Benihanas.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've stayed here the last four times. It's close San Souci Beach, but there is a private area in front of the hotel to spend time. I love it here.

https://www.vrbo.com/...p;ksaffcode=11364047
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the goal is to be on Waikiki, I would stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It will put you right next to all the international action and Waikiki nightlife. Don't bother renting a car for the weekend. The Hawaiian Village has everything you need. Yo could move into the Hawaiian Village and never have to leave for the rest of your life!

If you are more open, I would rent a condo at the Haleiwa Surf Condominums in Haleiwa.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu/north-shore/haleiwa/haleiwa-surf?from-date=2017-06-23&to-date=2017-06-26

Haleiwa is on the North Shore and it's center of surfing culture for the world. The Heleiwa Surf has it's own beach and you can walk to all the restaurants (3 minutes to Haleiwa Joe's) (best $20 porkchop dinner ever), bars, surfshops and Scoop of Paradise ice cream. I'd walk past Matsumoto's Shave Ice every time for Paradise ice cream. You need a car to get to Haleiwa.

If you can push your date a little, check out the North Shore Swim Series;

http://northshoreswimseries.com/

Whatever you do, have a great time and lot's of Aloha!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may find AIRBNB places to be better prices than VRBO, as VRBO has added charges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No love for Ko 'Olina?

Re: Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
No love for Ko 'Olina?

I love Ko 'Olina. It's just that it's isolated over there on the west side and with the succes of the Aulani, it's become much more crowded. I've stayed all over Oahu and I'm still half-owner in a house although I don't go anymore. I really do think that the Haleiwa Surf is the nicest place to stay on the whole island.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
If the goal is to be on Waikiki, I would stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It will put you right next to all the international action and Waikiki nightlife. Don't bother renting a car for the weekend. The Hawaiian Village has everything you need. Yo could move into the Hawaiian Village and never have to leave for the rest of your life!

If you want to stay in Waikiki, I second the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I've stayed there a number of times for work and really liked it. Nice hotel, lots of amenties, nice beach and close to everything Waikiki. I always wanted to stay in the Ali'i tower, but per diem didn't cover that.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is lacking a bit in commercial services.

Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
No love for Ko 'Olina?

I love Ko 'Olina. It's just that it's isolated over there on the west side and with the succes of the Aulani, it's become much more crowded. I've stayed all over Oahu and I'm still half-owner in a house although I don't go anymore. I really do think that the Haleiwa Surf is the nicest place to stay on the whole island.

We are staying at the ko olina Marriott in late June. Debating on whether to spend a few nights in Waikiki. Family vacation. I've been to Waikiki a handful of times, but it's been several years.
I've heard that Waikiki beach has gotten extremely crowded and might be more of a pain than it's worth. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
I've heard that Waikiki beach has gotten extremely crowded and might be more of a pain than it's worth. Any thoughts?

We were in Honolulu on a family vacation last month. We had never been, but I was glad we did not stay on Waikiki, that place is like Vegas with a beach. We stayed at the Kahala, which was very nice.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
No love for Ko 'Olina?

We are staying at the ko olina Marriott in late June. Debating on whether to spend a few nights in Waikiki. Family vacation. I've been to Waikiki a handful of times, but it's been several years.

I think it depends on what you like. I love Waikiki, it really is jumping. Going out at night is like being in an Asian city. I like the crowd; the beach does get crowded in the middle area around the Duke K statue but theirs still lots of room. Crowded, wait til you see the lagoon at the Aulani in Ko 'Olina, with their pirate ship, surf boards and floaties you almost can't see water! It's a huge success but it hurts the JW Mariott next door that has to share that lagoon. One trip I spent 3 or 4 nights at the HiltonHawaiian Village on Waikiki then flew over to Princeville on Kauai. It was stunningly beautiful over there. We had huge townhouse right outside of the St Regis. But seeing all those old white people out golfing really made me miss the colorfulness of Waikiki.

Waikiki can't be like Vegas. Vegas is already part of Hawaii. Hawaiians call it the 9th island!

Quote Reply
Re: Hotel or VRBO recommendations in Waikiki [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had never been, but I was glad we did not stay on Waikiki, that place is like Vegas with a beach.

I can confirm this.

Strangely I have been going to Hawaii for IRONMAN ( in Kona on the Big Island) for many years going back about 25 years - but until two years ago, and had never actually spent some time in Honolulu other than passing through the airport and on one longer layover seeing the Pearl Harbour museum and Memorial.

2 years ago we got stuck in Honolulu for 24 hours after our flight from the main-land was delayed and we missed our connection to Kona. United, who I know likes to get beat up, actually put us up, for the night at a hotel, in Ala Moana - just to the north west of Waikiki proper. And we had to wait a full 24 hours until they had space for us to get over to Kona. We killed time by renting some bikes and riding around downtown Honolulu and Waikiki and out to Diamond Head and back.

I can confirm that Waikiki did seem a bit like Las Vegas with a below average beach! Massive hotels all chock-a-block for several blocks back from the beach. A thin strip of sand, packed with tourists. Huge tour buses lumbering all over the place picking up and disgorging masses of people. Glad that I had never purposefully spent any time there. It underwhelmed at all levels! I did not know what all the attractions was. The better beach from what I saw was, actually at nearby Ala Moana Sate Park - nicer sand, and reasonably quiet with what appeared to be mostly a local crowd!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply