Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sloppy Seconds
Quote | Reply
Can this have a non-sexual connotation or just the sexual one?

It was used in a professional meeting today by someone, which seemed really out of place, and not something the person would say if it's only use was the sexual one.
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could they be naive? The root is sexual (AFIK) but since people now use it outside of sexual situations - maybe that person doesn't know the original meaning behind it.

Did they also talk about a threesome when asking three workers to team up on a project?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need the context.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
We need the context.

Basically selecting people to work on a project. Her first choices were taken, so she referred to what she was left to pick from as sloppy seconds. Which doesn't even make sense in the sexual context.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Lord no.

Someone said it in a meeting last year, and everyone, and I mean everyone, looked at them as if they'd just farted loudly.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Could they be naive?

That would be my guess, but then I thought maybe I'm just off base and it's use preceded the sexual one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have asked her where she heard that term. Maybe she isn't so naive.
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Good Lord no.

Someone said it in a meeting last year, and everyone, and I mean everyone, looked at them as if they'd just farted loudly.

No one batted an eye, which is the reason I though maybe it's me that is off-base here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You obviously have a more, er, liberated workplace than mine.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going with naive since she didn't even use it correctly. She was given the leftovers.
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless she's the lesbian driving the dildo, in that case totally and woefully sexist.
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
We need the context.

Let's say a moose licks half your ice cream cone and then it's all yours. Sloppy seconds yuck or sloppy seconds sexual?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
We need the context.

Basically selecting people to work on a project. Her first choices were taken, so she referred to what she was left to pick from as sloppy seconds. Which doesn't even make sense in the sexual context.

First off it's rude. It doesn't make any sense and it was wholly inappropriate. People were either not surprised be cause she does Thai all the time or they didn't know how to reAct to that.

I probably would have chuckled even bought it didn't make sense.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

It was used in a professional meeting today by someone, which seemed really out of place, and not something the person would say if it's only use was the sexual one.

I was listening to the female then CEO of my company talking about business relationships. She mentioned the situation where both business partners are not really satisfied but not so dissatisfied to break it; she refereed to this relationship as a "circle jerk." We all wondered if she even knew what a circle jerk. She did, and funny thing is 20 years later I still remember the discussion so her picturesque language certainly make it stick in my mind.

Everyone seems so easily offended by people with different sensibilities that it is best now to stick with dry technical descriptions instead of using sexual imagery.
Last edited by: outerlimit: May 19, 17 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

I was listening to the female then CEO of my company talking about business relationships. She mentioned the situation where both business partners are not really satisfied but not so dissatisfied to break it; she refereed to this relationship as a "circle jerk." We all wondered if she even knew what a circle jerk. She did, and funny thing is 20 years later I still remember the discussion so her picturesque language certainly make it stick in my mind.

Everyone seems so easily offended by people with different sensibilities that it is best now to stick with dry technical descriptions instead of using sexual imagery.

I'm about 100% sure the person who used this term doesn't know what it means, and that it went right over the heads of most of the other people in the room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on your age. I'm 36 and I can see the term sloppy seconds being used outside of a sexual context.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
We need the context.

Poorly used.

How often do people use the word "suck" or"sucks" in common everyday chatter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definitely a sexually loaded term, but can be used sorta casually in a more general sense in the right crowd ~ a professional workplace, I don't think is it.

I might use it amongst the guys in a situation that's not sexual, but does give off the same gross-ish vibe of having to work through/around someone else's leftover mess (like having to take turns shitting in a bucket on a raft trip, or maybe borrowing someone else's used bike bibs), but wouldn't drop a potentially vulgar term or phrase like that in mixed company if I wasn't pretty sure nobody would take it the wrong way.

The more curious thing to me is that it was uttered by a womens; the baseline assumption upon first seeing the question was/would be that it was always a dude saying it. Which in turn begs the same question Duffy raised... is she hot? Like, hot enough to be worth taking someone else's seconds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know someone who works at Target.
She was on the employee radios directing staff.

She said, "Guys, finish the isle display, c'mon, run a train on it."

She thought "run a train" meant be efficient, not the "gang bang" efficiency. She was horrified when she was brought up to speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She thought "run a train" meant be efficient, not the "gang bang" efficiency. She was horrified when she was brought up to speed.

I am assuming in both of these situations, if a man had said it, they would be in a world of trouble, if not out of a job. You could probably even get fired for even trying to mainsplain it them. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three years ago, a female VP used the phrase "hot dog in a hallway" not having any clue what she was talking about. I actually heard her use it a few times and each time was in worse context than the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grounds for dismissal at ibm

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Sloppy Seconds [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Grounds for dismissal at ibm

That would suck. We get annual sexual harassment, hostile work place training and at least where I work I don't think anyone would ever get fired for something like that, even if they knew what they were saying let alone if they didn't. They seem to make a big deal about someone has to complain in the first place, the person has to be made aware their behavior is unacceptable, etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of really egregious things someone could do to get themselves fired but saying something off color doesn't rise to anywhere near that level.
Quote Reply

Prev Next