Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Honda mowers are the best
Quote | Reply
I have a three year old Honda mower. I treat it like shit. Haven't changed the oil yet, don't even have a clue when I am supposed to do that. Leave old gas in it over the winter. Don't treat the gas that I do put in there... etc, etc...

Anyway, two nights ago I emptied the old gas and filled it with new gas (actually put stabilizer in this time) and after a few pulls got it going. Fast forward to last night when I was actually going to mow the lawn. 1 pull. Boom. I love Honda.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My craftsman (B&S) did the same thing last night. It's only 2 years old though.

I suppose I should check the oil.

Never put stabilizer in.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Troy-Bilt is the same way. Especially the 2-stage string trimmer, by all rights that thing should never run again, but it does.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First mow of the season every year and mine starts on the second or third pull every time with the gas from last fall in the tank. After that, every week is first pull.
Best indeed.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my Toro used for $100. That was eight years ago, I changed the oil once. Runs like a champ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the same engine as your Civic?
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, this one actually runs.

Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a craftsman as well. Inherited it from my Grandma when she passed away 10+ years ago. Mower is at least 20 years old. I never put stabilizer in and don't remember the last time I changed the oil. Last weekend was the first time I mowed the lawn this year and it started first pull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Honda, too. I sharpen blades, change oil, replace the spark plug and air filter every spring after running it down to very little gas in the fall. Top off the gas with fresh 93 octane stuff and it takes about 10-15 pulls to get it started the first time.

I'm doing it all wrong.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lawn Boy rules. I have a 4-cycle Silver Series mower that's >10 years old and looks like a complete POS but starts on the first pull just about every time. I do run the gas out of it at the end of the season but I can't remember the last time I changed the oil or the plug. I've replaced the pull cord and several cables but that's about it for maintenance apart from sharpening the blade every now and then. The housing that contains the pull start cable/mechanism got so loose that the vibrations while it was running wore away the rivet holes until it finally pulled right off of the body. Now, you have to set the pull start mechanism on top of the flywheel and hold it in place with one foot while you pull, and then lift it off the mower - pretty janky, but it works. When it finally refuses to start easily, I'll get a new one but until then...

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Ratillio mower! Mexican brand, best mower I've had!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an old something or other, forget the brand, with an MTD engine. replaced the pull cord once, and the blade after I hit that piece of granite in the yard. and that's about it.

Gave it to a friend who was getting back on his feet when we got the craftsman, it's still running too. The old one has to be at least 15 years old by now, my wife bought it second-hand back in '08.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same issue with my mower and in researching this a bit it appears to be an issue with the autochoke on the engine. I think there may have been a recall by my engine doesn't appear to be covered by the recall, despite it having the same issues as those that were. I haven't gotten far enough to figure out the solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
My Troy-Bilt is the same way. Especially the 2-stage string trimmer, by all rights that thing should never run again, but it does.

Mine is actually a Troy-Bilt but the motor is Honda, you know, the part that matters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day (1960's), you were lucky to get 3-4 years out of a lawn mower. That was with putting in new spark plugs, changing the oil, cleaning the air filter, putting in white gas over the winter, etc.

Everybody makes better lawn mowers today. (Are any lawn mowers manufactured in the USA these days?) I had a Craftsman that I bought in 1996 for less than $150. Never did anything except fill it up with gas and once in a blue moon adding a little oil (but I never changed the oil). Last summer, the starter rope broke. The plastic wheels were starting to disintegrate and the grass catcher bag had some holes in it by then. It was easier to go out and buy a new Troy Built than to get the starter rope replaced. Lo and behold, the owner's manual on this mower specifically says there's no need to ever change the oil, just add oil when/if you need to.

Bliss.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my essentially 3 rd one. They are good. Starts first pull almost every time. First one was my brothers who I used to live on the same block. Both used it for about 10 years, along with another neighbor who joined in the last 3 years before something went on it. I forget what broke but it wasn't worth fixing. Brother is a mechanic so it was a part issue. Got another one and for three years before myself and the other guy using it moved we beat the hell out of it. We always leave gas in it over the winter and I don't know that we've ever done anything other then sharpen blades. Unless my brother was keeping up with oil and all that stuff. But I doubt it considering he'd leave it outside in the rain at times.
Until I get the blessing to buy a tractor this thing will get beat up pretty good.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spring thaw must be occurring. The Canadians are talking lawnmowers.

Re: Honda mowers are the best [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

Jose Ratillo? How often does he mow your lawn? That guy is great!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
The spring thaw must be occurring. The Canadians are talking lawnmowers.

I was the last holdout on the street. I was ordered by my wife to mow since "we have the worst lawn on the street!".

Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
SkipG wrote:

Jose Ratillo? How often does he mow your lawn? That guy is great!
every Monday, he only has one name Ratillio. He said yard look no good, 2 month me make better. He is a grass magician!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I have a three year old Honda mower. I treat it like shit. Haven't changed the oil yet, don't even have a clue when I am supposed to do that. Leave old gas in it over the winter. Don't treat the gas that I do put in there... etc, etc...

Anyway, two nights ago I emptied the old gas and filled it with new gas (actually put stabilizer in this time) and after a few pulls got it going. Fast forward to last night when I was actually going to mow the lawn. 1 pull. Boom. I love Honda.

We bought a Honda HR194 in 1989. We have changed the oil every five years or so and had a tune up / cable replacement service done four years ago. The only preventive maintenance we have ever done is closing the fuel petcock after every use and letting it run out of gas.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
My craftsman (B&S) did the same thing last night. It's only 2 years old though.

I suppose I should check the oil.

Never put stabilizer in.

I have a craftsman that's at least five years old. I've never done any maintenance on it beyond sharpening the blade and it keeps running.
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys sharpening your own blades, or taking them in?

If you are doing it yourself, how?
Quote Reply
Re: Honda mowers are the best [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Are you guys sharpening your own blades, or taking them in?

If you are doing it yourself, how?

I bought a bench grinder at a yard sale for $10. I'm pretty sure the thing is at least 40 years old, but it works great. Just youtube a video and you can do it yourself in 5 minutes. Just make sure you balance it right or you will wear out the bearings in the mower.
Quote Reply

Prev Next