Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So who runs for President in 2020?
Quote | Reply
IF Trump is (a) still in office; and (b) wants to do so, it'll be Trump on the ticket for the Republicans. (That raises a whole different issue, though, of whether or not the Republicans will nominate him.* We'll find out.)

Who runs from the Dems? Bernie's my bet for the Democratic nominee, but that's kind of a lazy pick on my part because he was so close and so passionate last cycle that I'm assuming it will carry over to the next cycle. I didn't think the Dems were stupid enough to trot out the heavily baggage laden Hillary, but they surprised me, so maybe they'd even nominate Warren (if she even wants any of that action).

*Before anyone jumps on me for alleged partisanship because I floated the idea that the Republicans might abandon Trump... I really believe we all need to take what we think we know about Presidential politics and throw it out the window. These next 3.5 years are going to redefine what we thought was possible/within the realm of reason (for one example, see: the Senate's rule change to get Gorsuch confirmed).

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For better or worse, I think Trump has opened the door for "celebrity" presidential candidates. (Or, maybe that was Reagan...)

In that context, I'd like to see Mike Rowe for the Reps. He's got mostly conservative views, but has appeal to the labor/blue-collar demographic.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Oprah, Whoopi, Afleck, or some other left-leaning Hollywood star get the Dem nomination.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add to my brother's thoughts, here is a prediction.
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always ND Tyson for the Dems, too. He's a natural to capitalize on the predictable backlash against the current denigration of science, intellectualism, and general reasoning. Plus, he still has celeb credentials.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corey Booker was being tossed about as a potential candidate, but then he took some action that sided with Big Pharma & lost credibility with the left.

I'd still love to see Tulsi Gabbard up there, but she doesn't have the recognition. An attractive candidate that one -- currently active in the military reserves, doesn't toe the party line, strong convictions...but she's from Hawaii and isn't popular with the Dem base at this point. She resigned her DNC position during the primary and called out some of the DNC's crap.

It's still way out there and Trump has made Presidential politics a freaking wild card. Who knows what'll happen. I'm convinced that if the DNC doesn't learn from the Mistake of Hillary, we're going to see a Repub again in 2020...and I doubt that they've learned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Seth Moulton, second-term Congressman from MA who also did four tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine combat platoon leader. Active on the Veterans Affairs committee, has shown a willingness to reach across the aisle and also not afraid to call out members of his own party such as Warren on certain issues.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the feeling that Bernie is still campaigning. I expect to see him in the mix again.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoever it is, they will be running against Mike Pence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pence will be running for the Republicans. Too soon to predict the Democrat candidate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernie would be 79. He won't be the nominee.

Corey Booker, Gavin Newsome, John Kasich (hey, if Trump can run as a Republican anything is possible)

Any spare charismatic Democratic southern governors hiding somewhere?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I like Seth Moulton, second-term Congressman from MA who also did four tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine combat platoon leader. Active on the Veterans Affairs committee, has shown a willingness to reach across the aisle and also not afraid to call out members of his own party such as Warren on certain issues.

I like him too, but think he'll still be too green to be the likely nominee. Could pull off an Obama-like rise, but wouldn't bet on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ......... WHAT "THE ROCK" .......... IS COOKIN'? !!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708877-the-rock-thinks-its-a-real-possibility-he-runs-for-president-in-gq-exclusive

Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ......... WHAT "THE ROCK" .......... IS COOKIN'? !!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708877-the-rock-thinks-its-a-real-possibility-he-runs-for-president-in-gq-exclusive

Beat me to it. It's gonna be The Rock.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter. The smart money will be on the famous person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bet is we will once again see Kasich for the Republicans and Bernie for the Dems. They are out in front of the cameras constantly and despite Kasich insisting he isn't even thinking about 2020, he is a politician so of course he is going to run.

I also think Paul Ryan will run for the GOP and that Trump will not run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Rock
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
The Rock

So if Pocahantas runs against the Rock, who wins?

I already know who loses: the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Tim Kaine for the dems? Kasich for the Pubs seems a good choice. I think Bernie is too old. After Trump I think America will have a pullback from way out there candidates.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Kayne. He's already said he's running didn't he?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about someone like Andrew Cuomo for the Dems?

Former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels seemed to be pretty well-liked in Indiana. He seems like a relatively moderate Republican with business sense, but he'd be in his early 70s by 2020.

I like the idea of someone with:
- International business sense
- Served in the military

That's probably already asking too much.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernie is so old, I don't see it happening.

Corey Booker for sure. Kaisich for sure. What about 3rd party? Will we see Gary Johnson and Jill Stein again?
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
Kaisich for sure.

Kaisich has been all over CNN saying "I told you so". What is nice in his interviews and commentary he has gotten much more aggressive, IMO he wasn't aggressive enough during the campaign.

I told my wife I think CNN wants him to run by giving him all of this airtime. She responded by saying he is the only republican she would vote for.
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
Kaisich for sure.

Kaisich has been all over CNN saying "I told you so". What is nice in his interviews and commentary he has gotten much more aggressive, IMO he wasn't aggressive enough during the campaign.

I told my wife I think CNN wants him to run by giving him all of this airtime. She responded by saying he is the only republican she would vote for.

I preferred him for the primary but I didn't vote republican this time. My republican friends wanted him.
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
The Rock

I give you the 46th president of the United States... Rocky Maivia!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: So who runs for President in 2020? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
Kaisich for sure.

During the debates my guess is he thought that everyone else was going to implode when they started comparing dick size and calling each other names. If he stayed above the fray and was the reasonable one then he could swoop in and pick up the pieces. It wasn't necessarily a bad strategy in normal times, but that wasn't what this election was about.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next