Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by SS88
Re: Is this illegal? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell them you're calling the attorney general and the FTC.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Tell them you're calling the attorney general and the FTC.

Jeff Sessions is too busy prosecuting stoners.

The California Attorney General numbnuts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Just went to a website to buy a sauce pan and upon entering the site it prompted me to give them an email for "15% off on your first purchase and free shipping on purchases over $49".

So I order the pan and upon checkout it asks for shipping preferences. One option is 3 day shipping (for no charge (keep in mind I haven't entered the promo code yet)) and next day shipping for $17.99 (remember that price). The pan itself is $350 (with lid).

I go through the checkout process and enter the promo code when prompted.

When it re-calculates my total it shows...

$350 for the pan.

$38.69 for shipping.

-$38.69 (because of the promo code)

$27.xx sales tax

Total - $377.xx

No 15% discount and shipping fees waved for a shipping option that originally didn't cost money (3 day shipping) but now is more than the price of overnight shipping.

What.The.Fuck!?

On the phone with costumer service and so far three different people have said there's nothing they can do.

Stop being such a pussy.
If you're dumb enough to spend $350 on a pan that you can probably get from Kohls for $19.99 you deserve to be hosed.

My guess is that there was either small print or their tech isn't very sophisticated.

Often times the marketers ideas far exceed the technology's ability to execute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What site?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dropping $350 on a saucepan... First world problems!

My wife would spend 3 days trying to sort that shit out and likely walk away with a free pan. Me I hate dealing with this type of stuff, I would just let it ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On those facts alone, sounds a bit shady. But to speculate on some possible legit reasons for why that may have happened:

• Are you sure the 15% discount applied to each and every item available on the site, or might there have been some 4 point font in terms & conditions somewhere that say some items not available for discount
  • The price quoted for you on shipping is the price you got (or would have got if you did the transaction - sounds like you didn't). There's confusion on the breakdown in the receipt, but that isn't a bait and switch if you were promised to pay nothing and are not required to pay anything
  • Possible that free 3 day shipping or $17.99 next day is a loss-leader, and the $38.69 is the true cost. Again, it's confusing, but do you know for sure that if you hadn't entered the promo code, that you wouldn't have actually been charged nothing for 3 day shipping, or $17.99 for next day, with a corresponding adjustment to the base $38.69?
  • For $350 you better be doing alchemy in that pan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take Trump's balls out of your mouth so you can see the fine print.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
wimsey wrote:
On those facts alone, sounds a bit shady. But to speculate on some possible legit reasons for why that may have happened:

• Are you sure the 15% discount applied to each and every item available on the site, or might there have been some 4 point font in terms & conditions somewhere that say some items not available for discount
  • The price quoted for you on shipping is the price you got (or would have got if you did the transaction - sounds like you didn't). There's confusion on the breakdown in the receipt, but that isn't a bait and switch if you were promised to pay nothing and are not required to pay anything
  • Possible that free 3 day shipping or $17.99 next day is a loss-leader, and the $38.69 is the true cost. Again, it's confusing, but do you know for sure that if you hadn't entered the promo code, that you wouldn't have actually been charged nothing for 3 day shipping, or $17.99 for next day, with a corresponding adjustment to the base $38.69?

Yup, back ordered. Promo only good for in stock items.

I still don't know how free shipping can turn into $38 shipping that is then waved with a promo code.

No promo code? Free shipping.

Promo code? $38 shipping but that fee is waved so it's free?

Free shipping is never free - someone's paying for it. They may show you how much you are saving as a form of advertising; or they may be using the ordering technology to track how much free money they're giving away in the form of free shipping; or it may just be the way the ordering tech works.

I would bet that even if you didn't use the promo code, you'd still see a $38 line item that then gets waived.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
I would bet that even if you didn't use the promo code, you'd still see a $38 line item that then gets waived.

When I checked out the last thing I did was enter the promo code. Shipping choice, credit card, address, etc. was all entered.

Of the shipping choices offered (before I entered the code) one was 3 day for no charge and one was overnight for $17.99.

I chose 3 day.

After I put in the code it showed the $38 for the 3 day shipping (where previously it was free).

The promo code was essentially worthless and now they have my email.

OK. That sounds like a weirdness of the ordering software though, not anything illegal. Somebody's paying the transport company, but it's not you in either case. Why they show you $0 on one option, and $38 - $38 on the other is weird, but truthful in terms of what they offered you financially.

Promo code was worthless to you because you didn't read the T&Cs before trying to use it; sounds like they were probably aboveboard on that too (though I get that people rarely read the fine print).

Have fun with the new influx of spam email!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

When I checked out the last thing I did was enter the promo code. Shipping choice, credit card, address, etc. was all entered.

Of the shipping choices offered (before I entered the code) one was 3 day for no charge and one was overnight for $17.99.

I chose 3 day.

After I put in the code it showed the $38 for the 3 day shipping (where previously it was free).

The promo code was essentially worthless and now they have my email.

LOL, sucker :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this illegal? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
I bet he is buying it so he can melt down all the wheel balancing lead weights he finds on his travels to make fishing sinkers
Quote Reply
Re: Is this illegal? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
wimsey wrote:
I bet he is buying it so he can melt down all the wheel balancing lead weights he finds on his travels to make fishing sinkers

$350 is low for good quality cookware.

Le Creuset is my go to.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this illegal? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:
wimsey wrote:

Le Creuset is my go to.

We got a couple of Le Creuset items as wedding gifts. They're nice, but no way would I ever buy one for myself - that kind of expenditure seems crazy to me. But I've noted in other threads that I'm not a foodie and while I appreciate a good meal, really excellent food is wasted on me. If cooking and fine meals were really my thing I suppose probably could see my way to spending hundreds of dollars on a cookpot.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this illegal? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Slap yourself.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Is this illegal? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Take Trump's balls out of your mouth so you can see the fine print.

Trump's balls are tattooed?

Eagerly awaiting the report from Duffy, eyes averted in case he posts a gif.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally get it.

My friend Josh has a left handed sushi knife that he paid $6,000 for.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this illegal? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Dropping $350 on a saucepan... First world problems!

My wife would spend 3 days trying to sort that shit out and likely walk away with a free pan. Me I hate dealing with this type of stuff, I would just let it ride.

Sounds like my wife has a sister I didn't know about! Ms. eb once spent an hour on the phone trying to get a $1.99 scam charge removed from our credit card. When (to my amazement) she couldn't get satisfaction she handed me the phone with a steely glance and told me to get a hold of the manager. I would've let it go, but her eyes reflected an angry sea and a cold, bleak sky - my mission was clear. An hour later I got the charge removed, the sun emerged, puffy white clouds dotted a blue sky, songbirds cavorted.

Two effing hours to get a $1.99 charge removed, but household harmony is priceless.
Quote Reply

Prev Next