Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Parents kissing kids on the lips
Quote | Reply
I've seen this debated on social media and didn't think people actually saw this as an issue.

I grew up in a family where we did, and still do (for big occasions like ceremonies or someone going away on an overseas trip). I do it with my kids and don't even think twice about it. But it seems like people are making this out to be something a deviant would do.

The particular person I know who was making this out to be wrong is from an Italian background, so culturally I guess they are used to cheek kissing.

Throwing it out there...
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it, never seen it as a big deal, and really don't care what others think.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a chance with my 16 year old, I am lucky to get a hug. My 2 year old love kissing mom and dad though.
Last edited by: SkipG: May 17, 17 4:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Creepy. And I'm not Italian...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long both sides don't mind when the tongues are slipped in I don't see a problem.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
What is the reasoning behind thinking it's wrong?

I don't get it. What am I missing?

Per Tigermilk above, evidently some people feel the need to sexualise it. I think this says more about the people who have issues with it rather than those who do it.

I mean what's next, we have to keep our hands behind our back and do giraffe style neck hugs?
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [abies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abies wrote:
Do it, never seen it as a big deal, and really don't care what others think.

Ben
This. My father and I kissed one another on the lips until we could not longer. Rarely did he ever kiss me on the cheeks but did with my friends.

Quote | Reply
Agree with everyone here so far. It's a simple show of affection, nothing sexual about it.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
What is the reasoning behind thinking it's wrong?

I don't get it. What am I missing?

Well, if they (adults) have cold sores that would be one huge reason not to kiss children...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember my parents kissing me on the lips and I don't think I'd do it. If nothing else I would be afraid to get the kid sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty certain that getting sick tends to work the other way with kids - especially once in school / nursery i've never been so sick........

Just being in the same room as the infant petri dishes is enough to make you ill.......
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I'm pretty certain that getting sick tends to work the other way with kids - especially once in school / nursery i've never been so sick........

Just being in the same room as the infant petri dishes is enough to make you ill.......

Fine so I don't get sick then
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did when my daughter was little but somewhere along the line transitioned to a forehead kiss.... I still kiss my cat on the lips. : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife & I kiss both of our kids on the lips, son is almost 7, daughter is 3.5. Although my favorite spot to kiss them is their foreheads, because I like their unique scent that's there & I've been doing it since they were babies, at least 10 times a day each. But we're an affectionate family.

I know another guy who won't at all kiss his kids on the lips, never has even when they were babies, I've never actually seen him kiss his kids even on the cheeks or forehead, to be honest. But he's also the same type of guy who won't wear anything with pink on it and whose sons think wearing pink is "only for girls." Good guy, but he thinks like a neanderthal on these things.

Some people just like to make everything about a potential sexual appearance where there is none. And as a result I think it eventually cheapens, demeans, and furthers the taboo of sex with their kids.

mv2005 wrote:
I've seen this debated on social media and didn't think people actually saw this as an issue.

I grew up in a family where we did, and still do (for big occasions like ceremonies or someone going away on an overseas trip). I do it with my kids and don't even think twice about it. But it seems like people are making this out to be something a deviant would do.

The particular person I know who was making this out to be wrong is from an Italian background, so culturally I guess they are used to cheek kissing.

Throwing it out there...
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's entertainment is all about sexualisation. The news is full of stories of child abuse. Male teachers get looked at unfairly with suspicion.

It's sad now that people view such an innocent act of affection as creepy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never really thought about it until I saw my brother kiss his F I L on the lips. Pretty sure they are Italian. That was a bit of a WTF moment. Parents kissing their own kids has never really bothered me. I've heard people say they think it's creepy.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Parents kissing kids on the lips [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I never really thought about it until I saw my brother kiss his F I L on the lips. Pretty sure they are Italian. That was a bit of a WTF moment. Parents kissing their own kids has never really bothered me. I've heard people say they think it's creepy.

I think I've shaken my father in laws hand three times ... meeting him the first time, after I asked for his blessing to marry, and in front of the altar. Kissing him on the lips? NFW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both entertainment and the news seem to be about sexual angles...not that there's much differentiation between most mainstream news and entertainment sources in the U.S.

And it's really unfortunate because that basis of over-sexualizing everything makes people suspect of or question everything. I'm hesitant to let my son have his friends over inside the house if my wife isn't home unless I know the parents really well...which excludes him from having friends over for about 3-4 months of the year of indoor play weather in Michigan when our winters are sometimes too awful for kids to play outside for very long. I've seen accusations from people & it's not worth the chance. The nail in the coffin for this was when he and his friend came in to play while I was in the shower in the master bathroom, I had the bathroom door open & the bedroom door partially cracked so I could hear what the kids were up to (you can't see anything from the hallway they should have been in), and the neighbor kid came all the way in the bathroom, never heard him come in; I don't think he saw anything, but I was stepping out of the shower as he walked in, and he ran out when I yelled at him to leave. I freaked out to my wife and was afraid of being accused of exposing myself; fortunately nothing became of it, but I've heard of people being accused of similar things or less. What a world we live in...

mv2005 wrote:
Today's entertainment is all about sexualisation. The news is full of stories of child abuse. Male teachers get looked at unfairly with suspicion.

It's sad now that people view such an innocent act of affection as creepy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True story. The first time I met my future FIL was around a month after I started dating my wife. I reach out, shake his hand, and say "It's nice to meet you Mr. X," and he immediately replies in a stern voice, "The name is Rob. If you ever call me Mr. again I'll knock you flat on your ass!" That was a long 2 hour visit. Eventually I came to realize that's just his sense of humor and alpha-male posturing and that he's a big pain in the ass, but it's part of his schtick and charm & he's become a close friend and someone I respect the hell out of. And he's a guy who still gives his daughter a quick kiss on the lips, hopefully never me though...even though I once had to rub Desitin on his "upper ass, lower back" during a 4 day adventure race when rain and chafing began to take its toll. I'd rather have had a kiss on the lips!

windywave wrote:
Leddy wrote:

I think I've shaken my father in laws hand three times ... meeting him the first time, after I asked for his blessing to marry, and in front of the altar. Kissing him on the lips? NFW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I don't remember my parents kissing me on the lips and I don't think I'd do it. If nothing else I would be afraid to get the kid sick.

I don't want school germs!

Love my kid- but she can share germs with her friends. We kiss on the cheek. Heck I read to her for 30 minutes a night and was rewarded with lice (but I still do it). Kids are cute, fun, wonderful and super gross. Moms don't get sick days I kiss cheeks or foreheads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally kiss my 5 year old on the forehead or his cheek. He generally lays a big smacker on my lips.

No there isn't anything sexual about it. Anyone who thinks that came from a home with parents who didn't show affection with them.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His response to my "what's up with that?" was in line with this thread. It's not a sexual thing, the entire family does it, blah blah blah. I told him I had never noticed it before and I didn't really care. I was just curious as to when he caught the gay. That was years ago. We still kid him about it.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next