Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Return to training after ablation
Quote | Reply
I have recurring anemia due to dysfunctional uterine bleeding that affects my training. I decided to get an endometrial ablation. My last period was 16 days long, and I'm on BCPs, with a tubal. So that's stupid and annoying. It's also supressing my natural testosterone.

I asked my gyn about when I could return to working out and she was all smiles and said that people are back golfing in 2 days. I reminded her I was not talking about golf. She was insistent I could run. I am skeptical, since she's talking about discharge for two weeks (sorry). I actually have a running road race at the end of two weeks.

Did anyone have this done when they were into tri? What is the 'real' recovery like?

Thanks for any thoughts or help.
Quote Reply
Re: Return to training after ablation [RunLemur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was supposed to have it done, but once they got started, they couldn't finish because of my uterus. So I have had close to an ablation. My gynecologist couldn't answer the question about getting back to running because he has so few patients that run. He suggested that I wait a week just to be safe.

Anyway, the next day I was still groggy from the anesthesia. The day after, I felt perfectly fine. I went ahead and waited another day or two then started running with no problems. My gynecologist was surprised that I was running so soon and didn't have any pain. So I guess it boils down to listen to your body, but the recovery should be fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an ablation 12/30/16 and went to a low key NYE party the next evening. I had minimal discomfort (wouldn't even call it pain) the day of the surgery and just felt a little bloated the next day. The discharge did continue for about two weeks. My doctor - who is a runner - told me I could return to S/B/R at my comfort level. I erred on the side of caution and waited until after my two week post op appointment. I had no issues getting back into training. Sadly it didn't get rid of my period completely (as it does for about 50% of women who have it). But now instead of two weeks of super heavy bleeding, I get 3-4 days of spotty bleeding. So it is a huge improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Return to training after ablation [justlors] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justlors wrote:
Sadly it didn't get rid of my period completely (as it does for about 50% of women who have it). But now instead of two weeks of super heavy bleeding, I get 3-4 days of spotty bleeding. So it is a huge improvement.

Bummer. I just really want to get off of BCP so even light bleeding occasionally is fine. Everyone is arguing whether I'm perimenopausal or not and the BCP was because of mood swings, while my primary care doc thinks that was just the anemia. More than anything I'm sick of two week periods, even on BC. I can handle a couple of days!

But fingers crossed that it's gone baby gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you! It's been such a wonderful change for me, I hope it works well for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit late on this post, as my husband told me about it. I had an ablation, two years ago. I was dealing the heavy periods and had periods at IMCDA and IMFL. I was carrying tampons around during those races.

In 2015, we opted for the ablation. We have not had children, so it was a tough decision but it was made. I had the surgery on Monday and was heading to the pool by Wednesday, until my mind got in the way. I was so upset that I made the wrong decision. I called my husband and he said, "Go for a run." That always clears your mind. I ran 30+ minutes on Wednesday after my ablation and it helped me mentally more than anything.

I hope you had great recovery!

Jen

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my ablation was today. Cramping was so mild it was amazing. I wasn't counting down hours to the next pill at all. But yes I have the good stuff. I took one more just because I heard if you stay ahead of cramps they are much less.

I was even thinking maybe I would try a fun run at a running store tomorrow. I have also been having IT band pain and so I have now really screwed up my training plan. On the bright side, leg pain is gone. Wonder why. Lol

Oh and for anyone else considering this - no pool for a week and nothing in the vag for 3 weeks.
Last edited by: RunLemur: May 9, 17 19:37
Quote Reply