Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT bike for 5' tall female
Quote | Reply
I have an athlete who is looking to take on some Time Trials. She makes really good power and is an excellent time trialist. She has some big goals for the upcoming season, so we were looking to upgrade her equipment. She is currently on an '07 XS Giant Trinity which has a sloping top tube which helps with her fit. She is invested in 700C wheels already so would prefer to stay with that. I just wanted to reach out to see if anyone has some suggestions for frames to look into that would accommodate her. Frame needs to be UCI legal. We did think about converting a Cervelo S5 into a dedicated TT bike as well. Open to suggestions. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike for 5' tall female [blanken1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not clear on your athletes' primary sport: road racing or triathlon? When you say Time Trials, I am assuming a 'roadie'.

There is nothing inherently bad about the Trinity as a TT bike, however, stating that a 'sloping top tube helps her fit' does not compute.

A professional fitting is about the rider, not the machine, so to speak. If you just wanted to upgrade the Trinity, put a disc wheel on it. Or a power meter.

If she has not had a fitting for either her road bike or a TT bike, then upgrades or new bikes may be a moot point. Getting solid X/Y numbers will put her on correct frame size for any discipline.

The UCI technical guide lists all frames and forks that are legal. The riders' position must also be 'legal'.

Feel free to disclose location and perhaps we can direct you to an awesome Fitter near you.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike for 5' tall female [blanken1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree with Ann about the importance of getting fit first, in the instance of a 5' rider insisting on a 700C UCI legal TT frame the list starts and stops with the size 48 Cervelo P-series. P2 being the best value.
145mm Cobb cranks to try to get decent clearance over the top of the stroke and to make it easier to get decent drop.
Super short nose saddle like ISM PN to get forward inside the rules
Low stack bars like Felt Devox 1 in 38 width
FSA SL-K -20 stem if more drop needed.

The old trinity is fairly short reach, but high stack which will be limiting her ability to get low. Plus slack seat tube angle.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike for 5' tall female [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any issue with the 45cm cervelo frame? i ask because i'm trying now to find IBD "homes" for the frames cervelo may have in this size. i can't find the problem with this frame (in, i think, the P3 config, which might be using a different fork but is otherwise identical to the P2 unless i'm mistaken).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike for 5' tall female [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
any issue with the 45cm cervelo frame? i ask because i'm trying now to find IBD "homes" for the frames cervelo may have in this size. i can't find the problem with this frame (in, i think, the P3 config, which might be using a different fork but is otherwise identical to the P2 unless i'm mistaken).

The 45 is the size this rider should be on, but given that 700 was specified it's out of the running.
Absolutely no issues with the 45, best small TT bike ever made IMO. I'm not certain that the different fork applies for the 650 size. For 700 the P2 gets a slightly thicker leg (but no discernable aero difference) but they may not have gone to the trouble of doing a specific P2 fork for 650.

Example of the 45 P3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right. i missed the 700c part. i thought you were talking about the old 650c 48cm mold. my bad.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't think they change the fork rake, they just slack the HT back a degree to get more offset. plus a much higher bb.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike for 5' tall female [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

We've stocked up on a couple of 45cm/650c frames and complete bikes, so when those squirrels come a-lookin' we will have the nuts they need!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply