Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Secondhand Dimond [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He didn't, he wanted to buy one. He was quoted one price, but then the price changed, and Dimond was firm on the change.
Probably could have been handled better, but that's the whole story as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
He didn't, he wanted to buy one. He was quoted one price, but then the price changed, and Dimond was firm on the change.
Probably could have been handled better, but that's the whole story as far as I know.

In that case. The fact they offered him it at full cost is more than they offer anyone else.

The price likely changed because the information they were presented with changed. Even if accidentally. I get the OP being upset but he has displayed a lack of understanding about the product and pricing, a lack of understanding not matched by Dimond.

I don't think this happened but .... The worst case scenario is that the OP was bang in the money and that's Dimond screwed up and wiped the wrong price. Even if that is the case I still don't understand why someone would want to sting the company and hold them to that price though once they knew a mistake had been made. But I understand how some people would. I just don't think it's very fair.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPee I don't aim to kick shit up here again. I frankly don't understand why you're as aggressive in your attacks against me and maybe it just comes down to poor communication on my part. Like I said over and over and over through this thread, I had a superfork that was unusable, I wanted to get the bike out on the road because I was excited about the bike, I called to get a price and they said 600. Then when I emailed them to place the order they said 1200. Everything that transpired after and my being pissed off and wanting to complain, comes down to the fact that they were shitty about the mistake that they made. Why is it so hard to grasp this concept? If your company makes a mistake, act like you care and maybe feel somewhat remorseful about it. It seems very clear that you're pretty emotionally invested in the brand if you're willing to hurl insults and allegations like you have throughout this thread. Or you're just a good old fashion schoolyard bully.
For me, maybe I should thank you because the way that this thread has transpired caused Jimmy over at Ventum to go out of his way to make me a deal. Can't help but think that your demeanor was some degree of a motivating factor, but that's speculation. Either way, shit worked out pretty well for me and I am glad that I'm not tied to the brand that is Dimond at this point.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
JayPee I don't aim to kick shit up here again. I frankly don't understand why you're as aggressive in your attacks against me and maybe it just comes down to poor communication on my part. Like I said over and over and over through this thread, I had a superfork that was unusable, I wanted to get the bike out on the road because I was excited about the bike, I called to get a price and they said 600. Then when I emailed them to place the order they said 1200. Everything that transpired after and my being pissed off and wanting to complain, comes down to the fact that they were shitty about the mistake that they made. Why is it so hard to grasp this concept? If your company makes a mistake, act like you care and maybe feel somewhat remorseful about it. It seems very clear that you're pretty emotionally invested in the brand if you're willing to hurl insults and allegations like you have throughout this thread. Or you're just a good old fashion schoolyard bully.
For me, maybe I should thank you because the way that this thread has transpired caused Jimmy over at Ventum to go out of his way to make me a deal. Can't help but think that your demeanor was some degree of a motivating factor, but that's speculation. Either way, shit worked out pretty well for me and I am glad that I'm not tied to the brand that is Dimond at this point.

I wasn't aiming to be aggressive in my last couple of posts, apologies if they read that way. My initials posts may have been more spirited, mainly because I feel strongly about people trying to wangle an advantage over others. Not everything should bend to those that shout loudest.

I doubt very much that Jimmy from Ventum bases his sales decisions on my posts but if you feel he does then you owe me a beer. You can buy me that beer at Victoria 70.3. Dimond vs Ventum. Game on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're racing Victoria? Deal! Loser buys beers!! *pretty sure that'll be me* ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally do not know much about the company or bikes, but thought I would state on the Quote.

There are actually a number of states where a verbal agreement is bound by law, so if he quoted 600, then legally he has to honor that according to a number of states in the US. On the other hand as weird as it appears if it had been in an email that rule does not apply, because it is not verbal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
With regards to Dimond not selling replacement parts. They do. The thing is though, I am not convinced the OP had a Superfork to begin with. I asked a couple of times but no response.

I didn't know that was ever in doubt.
Picture isn't clear cause I wasn't trying to show that it was a Superfork, but you can make out the unique shape with the brake cowling off.

Last edited by: getbarreled: Apr 27, 17 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why won't my picture attachment show up?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:

Don't know, I believe you though, I just don't think it was ever mentioned and I asked a couple of times.

The images are a pain, you have to upload them to something like tinypic.com and then use their IMG code link. That way ST doesn't have to store and serve images.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Oh, yeah I suck at this whole forum thing. Facebook has ruined me for the effortless sharing of nonsense.

On an aside, I'd like to be a fly on the wall and Pros Closet with that frame I sent back. It hasn't popped back up on eBay which makes me wonder if they're trying to go after the guy that sold it to them or what. I can't imagine that they like to take a 2000+ dollars hit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
Oh, yeah I suck at this whole forum thing. Facebook has ruined me for the effortless sharing of nonsense.

On an aside, I'd like to be a fly on the wall and Pros Closet with that frame I sent back. It hasn't popped back up on eBay which makes me wonder if they're trying to go after the guy that sold it to them or what. I can't imagine that they like to take a 2000+ dollars hit.

I crashed my bike in November, hard. The insurance company sold it, some guy in Vancouver won the auction, broke it down and was selling the parts as 'excellent condition'. The wheels were buckled and the brake track gnurled (spelling?), the frame seemed ok but who knows, the TriRig Alpha X bars had cracked around the risers screws underneath the base bar and were dangerous. Scary stuff. I reached out to a view try clubs and posted on ST ..... you have to be careful what you buy used!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Customer service is a really tricky thing, but at the end of the day you will never satisfy everyone.

I've just had some really bad service from my LBS (Torpedo 7 here in New Zealand). After 4 weeks, they finally got it right (assuming the courier drops the part off today as promised)

A number of years ago, I rode every sunday with a guy. He was a bike importer, along with some other products. He gave me a discount on stuff even tho he didn't sell retail at that point. All good. Then he opened a store and I became one of his first and one of his most regular customers. I still got the discount. As he grew he got staff. Staff never gave me the discount, but he did. Still all good. Then I wanted some race wheels so checked his website to find out how much they were and at the time they were listed at $2100 per pair. No worries I had that much money so headed to the store. I got to the store and none in stock but they would order them for me. The price somehow became $2350! WTF? So I pointed out the discrepancy and the staff member said $2350. I called over the owner, and he said they couldn't honour the $2100 price. I grudgingly accepted that I wasn't going to get the wheels for $2100 so I said they should update the website. The owner said, "hardly anyone ever buys them so I'm not going to bother changing the price on the website". Da fuq? I decided not to order the wheels, but rather, ordered them online from an American store. Even with shipping they came in under even the $2100 price here. I never shopped at that store again, and rather unsurprisingly, they went out of business. He even had to sell his house! Karma's a bitch :-)

On the assumption that the OP has been truthfully relaying the events, that's crap service by the manufacturer. There are any number of ways they could have handled it better, but I can also understand that no-one is 100% all the time. However, now there is one very public negative reaction to their brand and for a few hundred dollars, they could have had a really positive outcome instead. In this day and age, with "trial by social media", it would probably have been better for them to just suck up the dollars and moved on, learning from the experience.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
In this day and age, with "trial by social media", it would probably have been better for them to just suck up the dollars and moved on, learning from the experience.

Obviously I think you're right. The fact that this thread has now grown WAAAAYYYY beyond what I had ever imagined it would, I don't know how it could be denied. They could have said, "We're so sorry for telling you the wrong number. We can't sell it for that, but we made a mistake so let's work something out." I may not have been over the moon, but I wouldn't have come on here and pounded the keys. The guy I was talking to last night who was about to buy a marquise but saw this thread and hesitated, and is now in talks with Ventum would likely have already made his deposit with Dimond and never thought twice.
At the end of the day, attitude is everything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
At the end of the day, attitude is everything.

Couldn't agree more. Companies like Flo and DeSoto get it. Treat all customers well, with respect and some compromise when necessary (especially when you have made a mistake) and in the long run you'll reap the benefits.

Telling you to basically pound sand and bringing a lawsuit against Jordan (a lawsuit FFS over a small pro sponsorship deal!) tells me all I need to know about Dimond.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I certainly don't think they are saying "fuck off", but I do think they want to make it clear there are advantages to being an original owner. .

I guess they can do this if they want, but they are effectively saying "we are deliberately sabotaging the used market for our bikes."

In the long run, that is not going to be good for their business.

If I buy a Cervelo, for instance, I know there is going to be a strong resale market and whenever I want to upgrade I will be able to sell my bike quickly and for a strong price.

I'm already taking a huge risk by buying a bike from a smaller lesser known company. It's already going to be iffy in the secondhand market. If they go out and deliberately sabotage my ability to sell my bike when/if I want something else, then sorry, I'm moving on.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I certainly don't think they are saying "fuck off", but I do think they want to make it clear there are advantages to being an original owner. .

I guess they can do this if they want, but they are effectively saying "we are deliberately sabotaging the used market for our bikes."

In the long run, that is not going to be good for their business.

If I buy a Cervelo, for instance, I know there is going to be a strong resale market and whenever I want to upgrade I will be able to sell my bike quickly and for a strong price.

I'm already taking a huge risk by buying a bike from a smaller lesser known company. It's already going to be iffy in the secondhand market. If they go out and deliberately sabotage my ability to sell my bike when/if I want something else, then sorry, I'm moving on.

I totally agree. That is generally why I tell people NOT to buy 'flight by night' brands or inexpensive brands if they are planning on reselling at some point. If you are using to EOL that is slightly less important.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:

Let's say you bought a new Cervelo from an LBS (which is where you have to buy it), and you messed up cutting the steerer tube on the fork. I'd bet there's a strong chance if you went back to the LBS you bought it from you'd get a bro deal on a replacement fork - something like wholesale + shipping. You'd catch some grief from the LBS mechanics for trying to be your own mechanic, but you'd probably get the deal. I've gotten deals like this many times.

If you brought a Cervelo you bought on the Slowtwitch classifieds into an LBS and complained that the prior owner cut the steerer tube wrong, and you needed a new fork, I can almost guarantee you'd be paying full retail for a new fork.

If Dimond had a fault, here, I think it's attitude and communication, not so much policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
alathIN wrote:

Let's say you bought a new Cervelo from an LBS (which is where you have to buy it), and you messed up cutting the steerer tube on the fork. I'd bet there's a strong chance if you went back to the LBS you bought it from you'd get a bro deal on a replacement fork - something like wholesale + shipping. You'd catch some grief from the LBS mechanics for trying to be your own mechanic, but you'd probably get the deal. I've gotten deals like this many times.

If you brought a Cervelo you bought on the Slowtwitch classifieds into an LBS and complained that the prior owner cut the steerer tube wrong, and you needed a new fork, I can almost guarantee you'd be paying full retail for a new fork.

If Dimond had a fault, here, I think it's attitude and communication, not so much policy.

Do you think the difference between the "bro deal" and "full retail" would be 100%, and $600 in nominal terms?
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Do you think the difference between the "bro deal" and "full retail" would be 100%, and $600 in nominal terms?

I think the industry would prefer that we refer to is as 50% discount off retail rather than a 100% markup from wholesale. :)

But sure. Going off the top of my head. I once drove off with my Garmin on my roof a couple months after buying one. LBS I bought it from gave me one for 50% off. Typical crash replacement cost is in the neighborhood of 50% off (for original owners only)

$1200 is a shit-ton of money for a fork. But we're talking about a very significant piece of a $6000 frameset. It's proportionally in line. If you want to value shop, boutique high-end brands aren't exactly the place to do it.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 28, 17 9:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I think the industry would prefer that we refer to is as 50% discount off retail rather than a 100% markup from wholesale. :)

But sure. Going off the top of my head. I once drove off with my Garmin on my roof a couple months after buying one. LBS I bought it from gave me one for 50% off. Typical crash replacement cost is in the neighborhood of 50% off (for original owners only)

$1200 is a shit-ton of money for a fork. But we're talking about a very significant piece of a $6000 frameset. It's proportionally in line. If you want to value shop, boutique high-end brands aren't exactly the place to do it.

I have heard of Garmin crash replacing a lot of devices, including my own. I've never heard of the original owner stipulation with them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:

I have heard of Garmin crash replacing a lot of devices, including my own. I've never heard of the original owner stipulation with them.

Garmin has no "lost-my-Garmin-replacement." at all. :) This was done by the LBS itself. Brought my new Garmin to the counter, owner who'd overheard my story, walked over, hit a button, and the price dropped 50%.

But since we're talking about bikes, mostly, and Cervelo was mentioned, here's the language on Cervelo's warranty section:

Quote:

Starting January 1, 2004, each Cervélo Cycles Inc. (Cervélo) bicycle frame purchased after this date is warranted by Cervélo Cycles Inc. against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as the frame is owned by the original owner, excluding paint and decals.

That's pretty clear. Warranty totally voided on first re-sale. But you have more of an owner error issue. This is how Cervelo deals with owner error (by any owner):

Quote:
Cervélo does not warrant against damage caused by normal wear and tear, improper assembly, improper maintenance, or installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with the frame or bicycle sold.

So no Cervelo owner has any recourse as a matter of corporate policy if they jack up their own steerer tube. But, back to my Garmin story. I'd bet, if you just took delivery of a new Cervelo and jacked up your steerer tube, and told the LBS, the LBS would get on the phone with Cervelo and things might get worked out for you in your favor.

But if you brought in a used Cervelo, there'd be likely zero chance of things getting worked out for you. You'd be paying full retail for a new fork.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 28, 17 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:

In the basic editor, you need to use the "upload attachment" section below, and check the box for "inline."

In the advanced editor, you can click on the little image icon, then choose "file" and upload it (it will automatically show up inline). 250kb size limit tho.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
getbarreled wrote:

In the basic editor, you need to use the "upload attachment" section below, and check the box for "inline."

In the advanced editor, you can click on the little image icon, then choose "file" and upload it (it will automatically show up inline). 250kb size limit tho.

Thanks dude! Pretty sure I did all that but I think my file sizes were probably way too big.

On a sidenote: you getting any sleep? Shits got to be pretty freaking stressful right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Justlevy wrote:
Thanks for sharing. After learning of their customer service practices I wouldn't buy new or used after reading that. I prefer working with companies that have excellent customer service policies like Zappos, Amazon, Nordstrom, etc..

-j

You never want to deal with Dimond, so you mention a bunch of online department stores you like instead? What do they have to do with bike warranty service?? Not many bike companies out there offer Amazon Prime service...
Cervelo, Trek, Specialized, etc Good luck getting any special warranty service/pricing from them for second hand owners.

Dude, you missed my point by a mile here. I understand that a high-end boutique bike brand or probably any bike brand can't just throw money around willy-nilly like amazon can. Getting back to what my point has been from the very beginning is that attitude is everything and these major retailers have done a lot to impress that on the population in general. People value the feeling that the person on the other end of the line actually cares, and it's really not that hard to make people feel that way. Regardless of the fact that, as it's been pointed out, many states require that the original verbal price quoted is the price that is ultimately given, the big issue here is the shitty attitude about their own mistake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
getbarreled wrote:

Garmin has no "lost-my-Garmin-replacement." at all. :) This was done by the LBS itself. Brought my new Garmin to the counter, owner who'd overheard my story, walked over, hit a button, and the price dropped 50%.

I don't disagree with your other points and I think we've exhausted the whole thing at this point. Just curious about your comment on the Garmin thing.
You know Garmin offers crash replacements and even some lost device replacements, right?

Last edited by: getbarreled: Apr 28, 17 10:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next