Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 24 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week are 2 swims
done, short but they count!, 6 runs did 7 runs in 6 days, 1 bike nope. :-) and have loads of fun with family! yes!

I had a whirlwind of a week. I was in Salt Lake Monday through Thursday morning; flew back Thurs. in time to teach in the afternoon; had a super busy day at work Friday... and my best friend announced Friday morning that she and her boyfriend (of several years) were getting married on Sunday in a location about 3 hrs from where we live. They planned to drive up Saturday and back Monday morning. She wanted a very small wedding and said they'd been talking about it for awhile, and this just seemed a good opportunity due to some other life stuff. I told her I respected her desire for small but also would totally drive up Sunday if she would let me. She termed taking two cars "inefficient" so I was totally a 3rd wheel all weekend! We camped on Saturday night, drove up the Oregon Coast (we were near Cannon Beach!!!! I found a giant whole sanddollar!) early Sunday morning; went to church; and she got married in a friend's house yesterday afternoon. Then we walked around the town a little. I saw sea lions! Loads of them just out on a dock! We stayed with her friend and drove back this morning. I puked in the car on account of twisty roads.

I am a very exhausted introvert but had a good time and am so glad she let me come. I am looking forward to getting back into my normal routine.

I tweaked my back a bit last Thursday doing yard work for my brother (no good deed goes unpunished) but it is feeling better. It did, however, limit my swimming last week. Two swims = 1200 yards and 46.4 mi of running. One day off.

Goals this week: 6 runs, ease back into swimming, try 1 short bike ride.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back from...well, from the place I was in. I don't recommend it, and I hope not to go there again.

Had to take some time off near the start of the month (6 days of zero running) due to a combination of my ankle, my left hip/glutes, my left sartorius (damaged doing stupid effin' burpees) and plain old overtraining. I've spent the last 16 days rebuilding when I was supposed to be doing peak weeks for the 100k next month, and that plus the adrenal fatigue did nasty things to my mental health for the first bit. I couldn't even go hike on pretty trails because the hip/glute & sartorius were causing pain while hiking uphill, so I had to start back with very flat, boring trails and not even much walking. Aggressive rehab (three sets of exercises per day with increased gelatin & vit C intake to assist repair of my ankle) has me back on singletrack for multiple hours, but I needed time away from setting weekly goals as I had to be guilt-free about bagging any workouts if things didn't feel good.

I just finished a weekend of back-to-back decently long runs (2h45m each - 21.5km + 19.5km) with over 1,200ft of gain in each, the latter of which was on highly technical and muddy bits of the Bruce Trail.

I think it's safe to say my new pair of trail shoes are broken in for racing this year..

It's always a good run when you find a waterfall (Swayze Falls at Short Hills Provincial Park)

So, this is going to be my peak week for the 100k. I just finished a lunch run and, while I'm a bit stiff from the weekend, everything seems functional. May try a second run this evening.

I have a 50k with ~8,000ft of elevation on Saturday, which kicks off 206km of racing in a 9 week span - the 100k is 4 weeks after the 50k (which will just be a time-on-feet day for me; hoping to use the full 8 hours before the cutoff), then there's a very technical 56k race 5 weeks after the 100k.

I'm clearly not good at planning.

In any case, after the 50k I'll take a few days off and then just run quite lightly until the 100k - enough to keep the rust off and my brain in check, but hopefully giving myself plenty of time to recover and arrive at Sulphur Springs healthy and ready to take on 5 x 20k loops at Dundas Valley Conservation Area.

I also need to be ok with shutting things down at any point this week if feels like I'm aggravating anything, so I won't set formal goals. Just do my rehab exercises, run when it's good, rest when it's not, and use every recovery trick in the book to get me through until Saturday afternoon.

Hope all the womens have a great week!

Quote | Reply
Wow! What a waterfall, mistressk! And hope your pain and suffering is OVER and you can nail your 100k. WOW.

I, too, had a whirlwind week. Tax season finally ended (we finished and closed shop on Friday the 14th) and DH and I immediately hopped on our motor bikes and headed out for a 1,700 mile desert tour starting at the Coast of California and going east down through Prescott, AZ, Sedona, Flagstaff, and then to the Grand Canyon. What a ride! It was truly epic. Weather was perfect.

I managed to get 3 runs in during our vaca. A short 3 miler to purge the liver on Day 3 (it didn't work) and then we had a lovely Grand Canyon trail run one evening. Then a quick 4 miles on a treadmill. Did 1:30 on the bike trainer when I got home Sunday.

My bad news was coming home and learning my bike frame is cracked. I dropped off my bike at the shop before I left (perfect time to be sans bike) for some TLC. I told the guy "something doesn't feel right" when I left it with him. I guess I was right. Darn. I'm not the original owner (got it in a barter) so I'm not optimistic about a warranty replacement. So, I got to reassemble my road bike yesterday (that took forever).

Onward.

This week:
Swim x3
Bike x4
Run x3

Actually.... if the stars align, I'm fixing to head out to Lake San Antonio to do my very own Wildflower on Saturday. I can't tolerate missing a year just because the race was cancelled (that would be a crappy excuse). I swam through mud so I may as well do it all by my lonesome. My bike issue is putting a bit of a kink in the plan, but I think I can hack my road bike back into shape well enough to go out on the road.

Rock on, women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started tigerchik -- I am so glad you had a nice trip and I hope your back feels 100% soon.
mistressk, welcome back and good luck on your 100K -- as ever, I enjoy your photos so much!
SLOGoing, wooooooo! Enjoy a well deserved break.

I had a good week: daily p/rehab, 1x yoga, 2x strength, 2x swimming, 2x running, 3x biking + an intensive fit that wiped me out.
Quote:
my strength training is shifting from 3X/week to 2X/week leading up to my A Race but I'll keep with my daily p/rehab. The weekends will be swim/bike brick and a bike/run brick from here on out for a total of two swims, three bikes, two runs, and a yoga class. When I started triathlon last year, I really deprioritized my running to work on my bike and swim.

My weekend bricks went pretty good. Big choppy waves in the ocean followed by a leisurely ride to a bike fitting. The fitting was really informative and helpful -- this is my third attempt at getting sorted on my seemingly cursed triathlon bike. I've struggled to get comfortable and my runs tend to feel worse, but this time I think we're on to something. On Sunday's ride/run brick, my legs/hips/back felt MUCH more comfortable and my pedal stroke feels more fluid, my neck is going to take some getting used.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll share all the dirty details/photos. If I were braver I'd post on the main forum but I am not -- I'm making baby steps from a cyclocross, to a road bike, to a tri bike and am focused on health and strength before speed.

The fitter really encouraged me to buy a new helmet. I currently wear an old road helmet I got for $35 at Dick's Sporting Goods that I used for bike commuting. At the fit, I wore a Specialized Evade which was sleek and awesome and didn't move around on my head -- it's also $250 -- any suggestions? I'm leaning toward an aerodynamic road helmet not a TT helmet.

This week things will bump up just a little bit bit: 2 or 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, 2 strength, 1 yoga, and daily p/rehab. Goal is to play with new fit position and see if it works out.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week of training.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw your post on the main forum and hoped you hadn't been in an accident! Hope the Wildflower simulation goes well and that the road bike works out well.

Last week M-F Dan and I were in San Diego. My mother and her new husband also happened to be there until Tuesday afternoon (really long story for which everybody will need wine). It was a good trip and nice to get warm although apparently I missed summer in Alberta while we were gone because there's more not-so-fluffy white stuff this week. I worked out in the hotel gym once and other than that it was just lots of walking around. I did my first 6+ mile walk since I hurt my knee and everything was good so maybe I'm physically ready to start running again? I did bring some California germs home with me so that took me out for the weekend. Eating copious amounts of broccoli seems to have improved things!

This week: ride x 5, strength x 2.

I signed up for Zwift yesterday so if anybody has it and wants to ride, maybe we can have an ST-Women's ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay healthy mistressk - in all the ways.

TC - most of my injuries are from "turning wrong" or "bending over". Glad to hear your healing up.

So jealous of the Grand Canyon running. I loved it there, but with the two kids and a gimpy husband I had to settle for "hiking" on the flatter trails. Next time....

I had a good week - got all my runs in and the weight is slowly going down. Not aided by the icing I ate this afternoon while decorating cupcakes with my kid. Oops.

Goal is 5 runs, 2x20 2x30 & 1x45. The dog is all healed up and I took her out yesterday. Only did 4km, but I was dragging her by the end. Oops. She should be back in running shape soon.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wish it wasn't still Zwift weather - but at least it's entertaining!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TC - most of my injuries are from "turning wrong" or "bending over". Glad to hear your healing up.

Thanks.

I got a knot in my shoulder doing laundry once... like I couldn't lift my arm over my head after. The massage therapist had a lot of fun working it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo I bought a road bike. No, it's not a super bike, but for $200 I figured, why the hell not?

My dog (CC) is less thrilled about it... I think she knows that a new toy for Mommeh means fewer belly rubs for her, haha. (don't judge my dirty floors)

I am still having trouble getting comfortable on my tri bike so I don't know yet if this is a permanent replacement, but as we all know the correct number of bikes is n +1.

But he needs a name! My tri bike is a boy (Cesar Celerino Cervelo) so I can make all the "ride him long and hard" jokes. I kind of want to go with something about the white and blue color scheme... maybe Jon Snow??? =)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New bikes are always good. Congratulations!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles, I'm racing on a road bike (on the same budget!) and I am working on getting comfortable on my tri bike too -- congrats on the new wheels and good luck! Give you dog an extra belly rub from The Womens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a steal! Beautiful bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, hey! Pretty good week! Getting ready for Ironman Hawaii 70.3, stoked that Tri Bike Transport is doing a mass freight shipping for the bikes so it can go fully assembled and at a later date than 5/11. Training is going well, weather is warming up here. Hoping everyone has a great first week of May, be safe! -Kat

"Focus on the donut, not the hole." - Unknown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I did my first open 5k today. Sort of winged it around warming up... normally I'm running off the bike. :) It was about 2C and freezing rain/ice pellets. Didn't get the PB I wanted, but did get 1st AG and 4th OA woman. The woman who won OA ran the Boston marathon 2 weeks ago... she was pretty good. :) And a super nice person too, had a chance to chat with her before she kicked my butt. lol

Going to try to post a pic...
https://www.instagram.com/...kirstencarrollsomoza

Hmm, can't seem to figure out how to embed it directly.
Last edited by: surroundhound: Apr 30, 17 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woo hoo! Congrats! Too bad the weather wasn't nicer, but at least you didn't overheat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the podium finish!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true! I do much better in the cold than the heat. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
So true! I do much better in the cold than the heat. :)

It was +6 when I went out for my morning run (on the way to +13) and I thought I was going to overheat. It might be a long summer. :/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? April 24 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Anna!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Quote Reply