Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Terrorism...
Quote | Reply
ter·ror·ism
ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.c23c4cd3b8ad

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the same left who opposed MLK Jr's speaking.

Ignorance 2.0
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
It's the same left who opposed MLK Jr's speaking.

I am honestly ignorant of what you are talking about here. Source?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no fan of Coulter, but not allowing her to speak on a campus because the students and the campus population can't maturely disagree her point of view and will likely resort to violence seems like the wrong way to deal with the problem.

She agreed to their rules and they still cancelled the event. There is plenty of time to put whatever security measures in place to stop the likely ruffians form doing damage to their university or other attendees "in protest"

Complete and total lack of leadership by the Berkeley administration.

I'd bet if there were concerns of violence at a more conservative institution with a liberal speaker and that event was similarly cancelled, some of these same administrators would have their knickers in a bunch.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is it university administrators roll over so often for these protestors? I wasn't around for the 60s but from reading about it students routinely shut down offices and campus in protest of various things. Why not expel these people? When I went to university people got expelled for stuff that never reached this level.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLK Jr. was banned from speaking at Berkeley?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Martin-Luther-King-Jr-s-67-speech-left-mark-on-5475925.php
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On an unrelated note:

I estimate that there is a 1 in 10 million chance that Forge will go postal and successfully kill me.

Which is actually more dangerous than terrorism- where there is probably a 1 in 20 million chance that I will be killed by a random terrorist.

Of course it might be wise to consider:
A 1 in 3 chance that I will die of cancer
A 1 in 100 chance that I will die because I am a bad driver.
A 1 in 25 chance that I will loose my job because I waste too much time on slowtwitch.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Apr 20, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't a large part of the Berkley problem the last time -- when Milo was there to speak -- non-student extremists coming in and escalating the protest from a peaceful, loud march to something that was physical and violent?

I'm all for peaceful protest on whichever side of the spectrum it originates from and all for open and free speech, even for jerks like Westboro Baptist (except at funerals...my pacifism is challenged when it comes to them protesting at funerals for fallen soldiers). I'm not for caving to their protests and speech just to shut down other speech. If Berkley is being preemptive to shut Coulter down based on their fear of things turning violent, I suppose there could be something wise about that to protect students...if it were the first time this was an issue. But it's not, so if Berkley wants to actually be a place of free expression and the exchange of ideas they need to get better practices in place to allow opposing vantages to be aired, to allow protest, and to keep violence shut down.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Wasn't a large part of the Berkley problem the last time -- when Milo was there to speak -- non-student extremists coming in and escalating the protest from a peaceful, loud march to something that was physical and violent?

I'm all for peaceful protest on whichever side of the spectrum it originates from and all for open and free speech, even for jerks like Westboro Baptist (except at funerals...my pacifism is challenged when it comes to them protesting at funerals for fallen soldiers). I'm not for caving to their protests and speech just to shut down other speech. If Berkley is being preemptive to shut Coulter down based on their fear of things turning violent, I suppose there could be something wise about that to protect students...if it were the first time this was an issue. But it's not, so if Berkley wants to actually be a place of free expression and the exchange of ideas they need to get better practices in place to allow opposing vantages to be aired, to allow protest, and to keep violence shut down.

Cowardice not wise.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i suppose one argument could be cost - i'm playing devil's advocate here, but maybe berkley realized they'd have to hire x security guards and y yards of fence and z metal detectors and decided that it wasn't so much logistically impossible as just not worth it.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now they change their minds and offer 5/2 as a rescheduled date- during a review week. Coulter rejects and insists she's will be speaking there on 4/27.

Should be interesting.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Hadn't heard that, but haven't paid attention to the follow up news on it either.

That's fucked up. So is tenure in these cases...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Also, have you heard about the SDSU professor who attacked people in Berkeley with a U-Lock. He was wearing a mask but was identified by internet "investigators" on 4chan.

The professor's life is now fucked, I'm happy to say.

Why was he doing such a thing?
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Duffy: Apr 21, 17 14:16
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
wimsey wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Also, have you heard about the SDSU professor who attacked people in Berkeley with a U-Lock. He was wearing a mask but was identified by internet "investigators" on 4chan.

The professor's life is now fucked, I'm happy to say.

Why was he doing such a thing?

Because he doesn't like Trump and he's an antifa guy.

http://theralphretort.com/...ric-clanton-4020017/

He's a fucking terrorist, by definition.

Huh, that's pretty weird. Definition or not, he also appears to be an asshole and a criminal.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
I'm no fan of Coulter, but not allowing her to speak on a campus because the students and the campus population can't maturely disagree her point of view and will likely resort to violence seems like the wrong way to deal with the problem.

I'm no fan of Coulter either but also agree. But I do have to wonder why she wants to speak at Berkeley to begin with. Its not like she'll find a lot of fans or people of a like mind there.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was invited by the campus Republican group.

And she likes to stir shit up- isn't that her brand?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
She was invited by the campus Republican group.

And she likes to stir shit up- isn't that her brand?

They have a campus Republican group at Berkeley?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to hand it to Coulter she is not afraid to enter the lions den.

She got brutalized at the Rob Lowe Roast, Bill Maher show, The View...

Still she keep coming back for more. She is like the Rudy of commentators.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently both of them signed the invite.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Apr 21, 17 14:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ter·ror·ism
ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

What is that guy (and the rest of these leftist, fascist fuckheads) doing?

They are unlawfully using violence against civilians in the pursuit of political aims.

They are, by definition, terrorists.

I'm not disagreeing with you. In addition to being a terrorist (assuming he was acting on anti-Trump motivations as you say), he's also an asshole (IMO) and a criminal.

I've said before on this forum that, on balance across all issues, I tend to lean left. But I don't understand or defend actions like this guy's, or the Coulter nonsense at Berkeley, or many of the other examples of lefties losing their grip in recent months. It's nutty.
Quote Reply

Prev Next