Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Punta Cana Cycling, anyone???
Quote | Reply
I'm going to an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana, Domincan Republic. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with cycling in this area? Is it safe and worthwhile? I saw that there appears to be one bike shop that would rent an MTB or a road bike, but the question is should I bring shoes/pedals/kit. in the hopes that maybe it'll work out? If not, I'm only there for 4 days so I can drink more and maybe run.....
Quote Reply
Re: Punta Cana Cycling, anyone??? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not worth bringing. Did the same last year and was glad I didn't bring anything. Scary dangerous riding in a car on the roads let alone a bike. Better to use the gym bike for the few days and do some beach running.
Quote Reply
Re: Punta Cana Cycling, anyone??? [Baltimoron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. Any possible mountain biking? I saw some info about a store and a club that may do group MTB rides? But not enough info to determine if it would be worthwhile.

ALSO - here is a really silly question - when running on the beach, do most people wear their running shoes? I've never really run on any beach before. Or is there a paved or dirt path adjacent to the beach near the hotels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm heading to Punta Cana Sunday. Maybe we can meet up for a swim or run. Hard Rock resort.
Quote Reply
Re: Punta Cana Cycling, anyone??? [seapgreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really much of a triathlete these days, which is why I am scoping out possible riding. So I wouldn't be much fun for anyone in decent running or swimming shape. That said, I may try to run if I can't ride. I'm there too - Teal Wave :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago I did a number of "off resort" runs in that area. On one of my last runs I noticed that the delivery guys entering the resort had to turn over their guns to the gate guard while on resort property. I figured if these guys were carrying guns out there, it might not be the best idea to be out there alone.

I don't know the actual crime rates though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't even think about riding there. As already noted, driving in a car is bad enough. I thought about renting a car once (it would have cost less than $1 per day, before taxes and fees), but there is general agreement across the internet that renting a car there is a terrible idea so I skipped it.

I would also think that any sort of 'mountain biking excursion' offered would be overpriced and underwhelming, so not worthwhile there.

The Hard Rock is huge though, so you should be able to squeeze in some running. They have a decent enough gym (according to their website, they have treadmills, exercise bikes, and spin bikes), so that's an option, but you can also run outside, ideally along the golf course.

I'm not a big fan of running on the beach, but I would definitely wear shoes and stick close to the water if you do. You would likely have to contend with a decent amount of 'pedestrian' traffic. There's not a continuous, decent path that can be used once you go from one resort to the next.

Under no circumstances would I run off property if it is not along the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've scouted the island for a training camp..stay tuned for that.
Cap cana has good riding, you can go up to Trump's failed real estate development, go around the horse property that place has everything. Climbing long stretches to do intervals etc.
Also head out to Miches on the 104 turn L follow that up to Miches. It's a rolling 20k climb iirc, maybe 24k. Turn L on the 105. Take that down to playa macao. Go surfing, have some cervezas eat at a beach shack. Have someone pick you up.

You could also go out to Higuey and el seibo.

If you PM me where you're staying I may be able to hook you up with some people. There is actually a pretty good tri scene there, much better than people would expect. You'd be amazed at the number of high end bikes there especially given how hard it is to get them there

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add, but I've stayed there before. It's a great place to relax. They screwed up our room situation, so we ended up switching rooms with a seafront view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently the Hard Rock is the place to be. I'll be there in a few weeks on May 4. Looking forward to hearing what you find. I had resigned myself to the stationary bike in the gym and running laps of the resort - check it out- there are actually two Strava running segments within the resort.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Punta Cana a few years ago. The roads around my resort weren't bad and there were bike paths that we road one day on mountain bikes from the resort. We didn't ride far, but the roads between the resorts and the airport were good, not much traffic but a long ride might be a lot of laps. It is also very hot and flat. I did run, that was brutal. Swimming was great both laps in the huge pool early in the morning and open water, but the swim up bar was my favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to PC 2 years ago. Stayed at an all inclusive resort, Grand Pallidium or something like that. I ran inside the resort and the beach early in the morning with no issues.

I would not leave the resort unless it was time to go home, which did not come soon enough for us. I would never go back and the few people that also went to the Dominican i knew basically said the same. One and done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I will either run in/around the resort, run along the beach, run with a hunting knife, and/or just eat and drink for a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
run with a hunting knife

You would literally be bring a knife to a gun fight.
Quote Reply
Re: Punta Cana Cycling, anyone??? [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I noticed that the delivery guys entering the resort had to turn over their guns to the gate guard while on resort property....if these guys were carrying guns out there, it might not be the best idea to be out there alone.

As a gringo you're pretty safe. It's mainly businesses that have armed guards there. I went all over that area while i was there and even down to Barahona. Never had an issue.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't going to change your mind, but I was in Punta Cana two years ago and found the cycling to be fine. I was able to rent a resident's mountain bike for a week; I cycled every day from my resort to Playa Macao to surf, then back to the resort. This was about a 40 km round trip. It was a tiny bit sketchy - but fine for me - to cycle out of town, but after that the cycling was great. I alternated between going on the highway (not much traffic and a wide shoulder separated from traffic by speed bumps) and the parallel quiet country road. Past Playa Macao, the roads would have been even quieter.

Btw, outside the resort area - unless you do something really stupid - it's perfectly safe. I didn't lock my bike while out surfing, and had no issues at all. And one day while riding back to the resort I flatted and didn't have a repair kit. I started walking back to Punta Cana and within five minutes a friendly Dominican motorcyclist stopped and picked me up. He drove me (with the bike over my shoulder) to a guy who did bike repairs. He couldn't patch the tube, so he took the tube out of his bike tire and put it in mine. Total cost of the repair was the equivalent of about $2 US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see they have "spin" bikes in the gym at the Hard Rock. Does this mean I can bring my pedals and shoes?

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Punta Cana Cycling, anyone??? [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did two spin classes while I was there. The bikes have pedals with flats/straps on one side, and it looked like standard SPD cleats (the little metal ones) on the other. Not sure you could or would be allowed to switch out the pedals. I don't normally do spinning classes but I found them challenging and fun.

I also ran on the beach barefoot and enjoyed that, too. I didn't attempt any road riding, but the drivers I saw on the main highway between the hotel and the airport would give me great concern about riding there. Perhaps some side roads would be better.
Quote Reply