Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cracked frame - need advice
Quote | Reply
I just brought my Argon 18 E112 in for a tune up, and the mechanic told me the top tube is cracked, and that he couldn't work on it for liability reasons. I have a half IM coming up in June... what should I do? Ride the bike and take a chance? I have never been in an accident, and am very careful with the bike so I am puzzled why there is a crack. It is in the area that the tri bars hit the bike when you turn them. Any Advice? Can I keep riding it? Any ideas for a temporary, relatively inexpensive repair? I am reluctant to put a lot of money into the bike at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several places that can repair it for a few hundred dollars.

Or you could buy a new frame or bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
The top tube is cracked... I have a half IM coming up in June... what should I do?
If it were me, I would do one of three things, depending on availability and budget:
  1. Find a local repair shop that can quickly get the frame fixed and back in your hands
  2. Try to buy a used frame within the next few days and swap all the components over
  3. Buy a new bike and sell the old components

Or the fourth: duct tape it together and ride it anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tempted to take option 4... just don't know how dangerous it is to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'm not a fan of telling anyone to ride a bike that's structurally compromised. The risk reward isn't even close if you compare the price of repairing the frame to potential medical bills. Top tube repairs can be pretty cheap/easy especially if you don't care about the cosmetics. I'd contact Calfee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, as an engineer, I can always make up reasons that a cracked top tube could be OK... The top tube is under compression, which reduces risk. If it broke all the way through, the two sections would also have to completely dislocate before it totally ruined your day. On the flip side, there would be moments when the top tube was under a tension load, like going over bumps when mass shifts. This would put strain on the down tube that could lead to a premature failure there. But seriously, if the frame is effective a write-off, and you have a little appetite for risk, I would use a crapton of duct tape with some reinforced strapping tape longitudinally to try to strengthen the failure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too familiar with Argon's policies, but most manufacturers will offer crash replacement framesets at a discount through a dealer. Did the shop not tell you any of that?
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll contact Argon to check that out. But they already replaced this frame for free 3 years ago due to a defective seat post issue! May be worth a try though... thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks- appreciate the info- good to hear from an engineer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
second that. top tube takes the least amount of stress.

I would at least user fiberfix. You don't want to fall off the bike doing 30-40kph. It's no fun. Ditto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ride a damaged bike, ever. All it takes is a bump or some small thing to happen while you are zoning out and that bike could fail on you in spectacular fashion. Get it repaired, contact Argon for a warranty/crash replacement, or buy a new frame/bike. You don't want to post how your season ended and you spent X days in the hospital because your bike failed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! This forum is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get! Very wide range of responses and I will have to do some careful thinking...
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of telling anyone to ride a bike that's structurally compromised. The risk reward isn't even close if you compare the price of repairing the frame to potential medical bills. Top tube repairs can be pretty cheap/easy especially if you don't care about the cosmetics. I'd contact Calfee.

sorry, who is Calfee?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon frame manufacturer. But they also perform a lot of carbon frame repairs.
http://calfeedesign.com/repair/

I wanna go fast!
Last edited by: ironmanatee: Apr 21, 17 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perfect time for a new bike
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked frame - need advice [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
Never ride a damaged bike, ever. All it takes is a bump or some small thing to happen while you are zoning out and that bike could fail on you in spectacular fashion. Get it repaired, contact Argon for a warranty/crash replacement, or buy a new frame/bike. You don't want to post how your season ended and you spent X days in the hospital because your bike failed.

Good advice. But I have a 2010 Giant Advanced Trinity with a small crack high on the seat tube where the frame is very wide. It has been there for over 3 years and I continue to ride and race the bike on flat courses (1x10). If the crack ever grows, then I will get it replaced.
Quote Reply