Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2
Quote | Reply
I've been away a while and I'm trying to get back into shape for racing again. I'm looking to upgrade to a smart trainer and I'm having difficulty deciding between the Flux and Kickr 2. Looking to fit it in a one-bedroom or studio with hardwood or concrete floors with a mat underneath. They seem comparable in terms of noise but not pitch. Is one better about not transmitting through floors and walls? I know the Neo is much better but it's really too much for me right now.

I'm also wanting to run sufferfest and zwift so I'll have to use my computer with an ANT dongle for the Tacx right? Final thing I want to clarify if I go with the Kickr I can control it with BTLE in my computer or with my phone tablet and it will still transmit power on ANT+ so I could record workouts with my Edge 510 no?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything you wanted to know

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/tacx-flux-trainer-depth-review.html

You can capture on any app via BTLE (Trainer Road, Zwift, etc) and if need be also on the Edge ANT+ headunit.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat and can't decide which one to get! Which way are you leaning?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [Etexag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least in my little corner of the world that Flux has suffered from some serious quality control issues. I know one person who had a 1st shipment off the boat flux, had it replaced, and then had returned the warrantied one cause it was causing him problems as well.

n=1 but troubling none the less.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for solidifying my suspicions. I read about all the failures an just ordered my Wahoo last night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume this is for the OP but I could be wrong. I've been the proud owner of the Neo for just over 1.5 years now and I'm VERY happy. So far it's taken a hell of a beating totaling 675 rides and 695 hour of usage. For that reason I'd go Flux and it's a bit cheaper as well. I didn't like the high pitched noise of the KICKR and small ring worked a bit but still was too loud for my liking.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After repeated Flux failures I went with the Kickr2. Set up in minutes has been perfect since. The extra money was well worth not wasting more time on the Flux.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm leaning towards kickr. I'm giving myself a few more days to consider. I've got an REI coupon for 20% off good until April 10th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Link, would you mind sharing how you got the REI coupon and if it will work for the kickr? I'm looking to buy one as well. From what I've seen on a few sites (competitivecyclist and clevertraining), wahoo doesn't accept the coupon. On clevertraining the 10% standard discount you can get is given in points to use as a future purchase instead of cash off. And competitivecyclist is running a 10% off now on their site but it doesn't apply to the kickr. Would love to see if I can find a discount somewhere. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few times a year REI will send members a 20% coupon that's good one item only with a few exceptions. The Wahoo is definitely not one of the exceptions as I bought mine using the coupon last December. I didn't end up using my Spring coupon as the only thing I was really interested in (Garmin 520) didn't qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also in the market for a new bike trainer, and the Flux is a sweet spot in terms of pricing and features.

I read about the quality issues of the Flux, but does anyone know whether Tacx has managed to sort it out?

Most of the failures were from the first batch that were shipped in Dec 2016 and Jan 2017 from what I see..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would stay clear from the Flux at this point or come out with Flux 2 IMO. The one I received to test was shot in the first 50minutes.
As far as noise, the KICKR 2 is not bad at all and very solid trainer. Nothing beats the NEO for accuracy and noise. The thing basically makes no noise at all, you don't need to calibrate it and always spot on with my crank based pm. The Elite Drivo came very close to the NEO as far as noise and a lot cheaper. Very accurate, and no calibration required. Worth checking out if yo don't want to spend the money on a NEO.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm an REI member but somehow missed this one. I did just contact them and there will be a new 20% off one item released on May 19 valid through May 29. That seems to be the way to go to get 20% off + 10% in dividends. I guess I will stick with my kurt kinetic dumb trainer for the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
I would stay clear from the Flux at this point or come out with Flux 2 IMO. The one I received to test was shot in the first 50minutes.
As far as noise, the KICKR 2 is not bad at all and very solid trainer. Nothing beats the NEO for accuracy and noise. The thing basically makes no noise at all, you don't need to calibrate it and always spot on with my crank based pm. The Elite Drivo came very close to the NEO as far as noise and a lot cheaper. Very accurate, and no calibration required. Worth checking out if yo don't want to spend the money on a NEO.

thanks for the reply and heads-up! seems like the flux is still a no-go afterall

my alternative is the cycleops magnus or tacx vortex. the neo and hammer reviews look good but their price point is out of my budget =\
Last edited by: walfisch: Apr 21, 17 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [walfisch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are very good choices. FYI Nashbar has 25% off on the Magnus right now.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs Kickr 2 [walfisch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been happy with the vortex. At less than $350 (incl. shipping) from the Euro vendors, it's hard to pass on.
https://www.bike-discount.de/...iner-6822/brand-tacx
Quote Reply