Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wireless router
Quote | Reply
It appears my 10 year old router died overnight. Everything worked last night. This morning, cable tv is good, but no connectivity to wireless internet. Power light on router not on. Tried plugging it into different outlets, and power light doesn't come on.

so, I'm going to replace it. Any recommendations or does it not make much difference? 2 story, 3000 square foot house with 2 occupants so rarely more than 2 devices active via wireless if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: wireless router [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got an ASUS RT-AC1200 for $29 from Newegg. It's dual-band and works great for my 260+ Mbps cable connection. I get speeds as high as 125 Mbps down and 100 Up over WiFi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into the new mesh WiFi routers like the Netgear Orbi or the Linksys Velop. A little pricier than other options but they work great.

Additionally, WiFi standards (speed, range, functionality, etc) now compared to 10 years ago are WAY better. Your 10 year old router was probably an 802.11g router that had a max theoretical throughput of 54 Mbps. The newest routers are 802.11ac with max theoretical speeds faster than your internet connection (867 Mbps to almost 7 Gbps, depending on the 802.11ac tech used).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type of router you need depends on your use. If you stream TV, movies (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) and if your devices are far from where the router will be, you should get a powerful router with strong signal.

About a year ago, I got a linksys WRT 1900ac. My prior router had a weak signal and we struggled streaming shows/movies, etc. No such problems with the new router. It's fast. I had considered a less expensive router plus extenders, but much of what I read suggested that the wifi signal degrades too much with extenders.

My house is of similar size to yours.

If you just want something to surf the internet/send emails etc., not stream, you could probably get by with lower strength routers. 10 years is an eternity for this tech. A new router will no doubt be a vast improvement from what you're used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that your router lasted 10 years.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://thewirecutter.com/...s/best-wi-fi-router/ had the best breakdown I've seen. We're using the recommended tp link one and it's been great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had dead spots all over my house particularly when my wife was in the kitchen which had a chimney between her and the router, and couldn't even go outside without dropping a signal (I think stucco siding has a role in that). Added this a hot spot, turned my router off and now I can go 30 yards from my house and still have a signal and no more dead spots inside.

https://www.amazon.com/...ds=ubiquiti+ac+lr+ap
Quote Reply