Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way
Quote | Reply
For me, I like tying my shoes (I don't wear slip one) and writing checks to pay bills.
Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like writing checks too. Reminds me I've got money going out. I use cash too. Spend less when using cash. I like writing and receiving letters.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love chopping and stacking wood. I can do it all weekend and not be bothered.

I'd rather hear the soft glide of a hand plane rather then the banshee like 90db drone of my DeWalt thickness planer.

Over Easter I broke up a 25' x 25' 4" thick concrete slab in my back yard with a sledge hammer and wrecking bar rather then spend the $100 on a jackhammer rental. That one was definitely a stupid decision.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Iron cross [ In reply to ]
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Manual Transmission
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leaf blowers are evil. I'd much rather use a rake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still spinning LP's on my turntable. I do stream music as well but it doesn't have that same connection.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I write checks too, in large part because I'm conservative about online banking risk.

Shovel snow rather than use a snowblower.

Not always, but I change the oil in my car when I have the time to do it.

Go to the local bookstore even when I could get the book more cheaply online.
Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Manual Transmission

My Miata GT is manual. I park it and leave the top down with no fear of theft. Hell, I'm the only one in my family that can drive it

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a sad state of affairs that no one else can drive manual. I don't like to drive but manual makes it more enjoyable. I know when my son starts to drive in a few years he is going to learn to drive a manual. Like it or not.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- I don't own a cell phone because I have a phone at work and a landline at home and don't want anyone to reach me if I'm not at either one of those places.
- I have a microwave (for guests) but have never used it.
- I got rid of a coffee machine with a set timer and just use a French Press.
- I walk or bike to work, to church, doing groceries and running errands, anything in the city.

Now, get off my lawn !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Manual Transmission

Amen. In addition to feeling like you are actually driving, I am convinced it makes you a more engaged and attentive driver.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to read a book, I go to the library.

I have co-workers who read several books a week on their Kindle and spend hundreds of dollars a year. I read 5-10 books a year, never spent a dime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
For me, I like tying my shoes (I don't wear slip one) and writing checks to pay bills.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have the newspaper home-delivered each morning

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mechanical shifting on my bike.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have the newspaper home-delivered each morning

I forgot about that one. My morning coffee in a French press and the Globe and Mail delivered to my door is how I start every single day. I can't stand reading news online, other than here of course...
Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking to real people in the real world.
Making friends and have real connections with people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will always prefer corncobb or leaves over that newfangled toilet paper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Manual Transmission

I love driving stick. I needed a half ton for a while, but held out in part because I loved driving my 5spd Tacoma. Now that I've crossed that bridge, I only like trucks that have a centre console shifter. I hate the big steering wheel mounted bar. It makes me feel like I'm driving a bus.

Quote Reply
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I shoot film.

I ride my bike to run errands.

I often go barefoot.

I've never used a condom.

I'd call you a hipster doufus, but I'm pretty sure they insist on sheep intestine condoms.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Conveniences you pass on because you like the old or more difficult way [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I shoot film.

I ride my bike to run errands.

I often go barefoot.

I've never used a condom.

I'd call you a hipster doufus, but I'm pretty sure they insist on sheep intestine condoms.

On parchment scroll I am pretty much a hipster. Have been since before there were hipsters.

Fify.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Manual transmission
  • Raking leaves
  • Using a telephone to talk with
  • Writing letters/ thank-you notes and mailing them (in spite of my loathing all things associated with -7)
  • Using cash. Until my recent trip to Italy I have never used an ATM... ever. Used it once to get Euros in Rome and plan on never doing it again. The lady at the bank was incredulous that I had no idea how to use one. Pin? Yeah, I use 'em to place numbers on my jersey.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally backwards and unique, but we make (from scratch usually) all of our meals 6 out of 7 days and we make our own coffee.

Also, I use a regular corkscrew to open wine, not one of those Rabbits or one of those power jobbies.

Prev Next