Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Iron cross
Re: Anyone been to Liberia? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking about going there.

Why?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Iron cross [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what happens without gun regulations...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a big planet. Not sure if Liberia really cries out to be visited.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the US Embassy.

Not as bad as it was, but not on the list of places worth a visit.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Thinking about going there. Is it as bad as everyone says?

Am I going to run across these people?....

With exception to the RPG, this looks like Chicago the last time I was there. Is it still safe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go wear a George Weah soccer jersey from his days at AC Milan. Instant street cred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have friend who used to fly in and around the west coast of africa. he quit that gig. he said if his plane ever went down, and he survived the crash, if the animals didn't eat him the people would probably kill him. these are the types he was referencing i'm guessing.

sierra leone is much safer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Apr 20, 17 20:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That picture is telling. High belief in magic and that ordinary objects would make fighters bullet proof. Wedding dress, as pictured, or as I observed orange life jackets.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

If you do go, please take Forgie with you. He'll have an easier time getting in there than he will back into the LR. And if he can't get in, maybe he'll ask you to ask the embassy for a visa.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been to Liberia? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
That picture is telling. High belief in magic and that ordinary objects would make fighters bullet proof. Wedding dress, as pictured, or as I observed orange life jackets.

It is sad that that life is probably the only one they know. Some of those guys are probably my son's age and they're killing and being killed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the surf there that good?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch Lord of War. The Nick Cage film.

Not on the viewing list of the Liberian Tourist Board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i live in sierra leone and visited liberia late last year. liberia is very poor, infrastructure is shaky, and health is awful. the location on the coast is beautiful, and the people are quite friendly; ties to america are strong and english is widely spoken.

the civil war ended 15 years ago, so no, you won't "run across those people." a little under a million people were killed, and the use of child soldiers (most of them kidnapped and fed narcotics) was extensive on both sides. you still encounter quite a lot of people who were disfigured by war crimes.

all of this would've been pretty easy to google, but it still makes a nice opportunity for you to post a funny picture. well done!

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vice News did a story on Liberia. It's on youtube and worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been to Liberia? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been to Liberia? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Vice News did a story on Liberia. It's on youtube and worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo

Wow!

Watching that one thing comes to mind- fubar!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Send the Forge over. He'll take care of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want crazy pictures I can help you out. But they are the kind of pictures you never forget.

In my first stint as a lawyer in the mid-90's I had a couple Liberian clients, brother and sister and woman's son. He had been conscripted by Charles Taylor to do IT style work. After being left for dead he did some sabotage and got the hell out of Dodge. She was still there. Taylor's guys coming after her, etc. In support of her asylum claim I did a ton of research. The Saw and Hostel movies won't even show this kind of stuff.

Civil war started in the late 80's. In '98 Monrovia hadn't had water or electricity for around 10 years. Taylor lost an election in '96 if I recall, promptly invaded the capital. Remarkably he won the next election, since you know, he was going to blow the place up if he didn't win. When my clients were trying to get asylum Clinton, for some reason, was trying to normalize relations and the asylum was going nowhere. It was sickening. Of course a few years later Taylor goes to the Hague for war crimes but that didn't help my client.

This case is what pushed me out of immigration law. They were amazingly nice people and the kid was the nicest cutest 5 year old you can imagine. And solely due to politics there was nothing I could do for them. I've never really tried to find out what happened to them. If it was something bad I'm not sure how I would react.

After the civil war ended things got better but 15 - 20 years of civil war leaves a place pretty fucked. And the world really doesn't give a shit about western Africa so not much help has been extended their way.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So long as you wear your Chuck Taylors, you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Well you sure as hell wouldn't be going for the Mexican food...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply