Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Budget Aerobar
Quote | Reply
 Hi all,
I need to get a new Aerobar, as the one I originally purchased for my bike is too low. (Also possibly, when I knew less, I purchased a frame with not enough stack ;) Anyway, I need to get a little higher in front, so need something that will pedestal well. I also vastly prefer the ski bend extensions. Trying to find the fastest cheap setup

Right now, these are my two thoughts, but any other ideas would help.

From eBay for $190:

And profile aeria for$290:
Last edited by: KWTri: Apr 20, 17 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [KWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good base bar like the svet and good adjustable clip ons like the zipp aluminas get my vote. You can also find some of the 3t offerings pretty cheap online, most of them (other than the mistral ) are pretty high stack.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt's Bayonet 3 may be one of the fastest and cheapest out there. It tested pretty well in Tririg's aero bar comparison, and it was a fraction of the cost of the rest. They are pretty inexpensive used. Heck, I have a set I would sell for cheap.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus with Felt's Bayonet 3 extension angle is independent of the base bar. Tip up at will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got some of the top ones, generic carbon bars and have been very happy with them. Easy to pedestal high if that's what you need.

A couple of things to bear in mind. The pads are fixed for forward and aft movement over the pedestal with only a small amount of adjustment via the screws that hold the pads themselves on and I ended up buying a longer stem to move them forward to fit better. Secondly be prepared to buy some more arm pads. They were OK up to a 25 mile TT but the first race over that I rode my forearms ended up black and blue.

In fairness I had done this with the Profile Design bars I had before these as well so it's not just those with needed the Cee Gee pads (which also had the effect of raising the front by around 1cm as well)

For the money you'll pay I think they are really good value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you look on here? I got a pair of aura pro for 120 w/ ski bends. Not the best in the aero bars but def a lot better than the stock ones that came on my bike.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gayest?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, that was an embarrassing typo! Fixed it, but thanks for pointing that out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt Bayonet gets my vote as well. Personally I wouldn't use a generic Chinese product for the cockpit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd third the Felt bars. Although I quite like aluminum base bars like these: http://ebay.to/2o8rubA particularly for the price.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the best bar is the one you can get fit comfortably with, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If interested I have a almost new Profile Design SVET or new Zipp Alumina basebar for sale.
Also, new Zipp Alumina Clip ons with ski bend extensions. Great looking setup, just didn't work for me.
PM me if interested, Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I'm still looking. Lots of votes for the Felt. I'm partial to integrated bars vs. clip ons, but price is also an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager RXL. Pretty similar the one on the Trek SC. Can be found for $200-250 used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for bringing this up as it's something I was pondering in the car this morning... one question I have, and it might be rather basic, is what is the big reason for swapping out aerobars? Is it for adjustability, decreased drag, etc?

If it's for decreased drag, what kind of time savings can you see over an Iron distance race vs something like the Profile Design T4+ (I have a P2 so that's what I'm familiar with). I am pretty new to this and am trying to wrap my head around all of the numbers we are seeing from the recent bike and tire tests.

I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread but it seemed related.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
What is the big reason for swapping out aerobars? Is it for adjustability, decreased drag, etc?

If it's for decreased drag, what kind of time savings can you see over an Iron distance race vs something like the Profile Design T4+ (I have a P2 so that's what I'm familiar with). I am pretty new to this and am trying to wrap my head around all of the numbers we are seeing from the recent bike and tire tests.

I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread but it seemed related.
Both, plus looks and weight.

Flo's site says that 50g of drag equates to a 6.5W power savings. And, at 30 MPH, 100g drag reduction will save you 1 second per kilometer. Then, Tririg has a comparison of some decent bars (below).

So, lets say you could save 50g... that seems reasonable from the chart below. The bike is 180km, so that is roughly 90 seconds of savings at 30 MPH. You probably won't be riding at 30MPH, and I cannot remember what the time savings would be at 20 MPH. I think it is more, because you are riding longer at that slower speed.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. For me the reason to switch is getting into an aerodynamic and comfortable position. I already have a very light (320g) integrated Easton attack bar I picked up on eBay. It looks really slippery, but for me doesn't work, as the stack is very low.

I'd love to find something as fast or faster, but ultimately if I can be more aero and stay there longer, I'll be faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 3T vola base bar and used Zipp Vuka Alumina clip-ons due to their adjustability. I'm a big fella and based on my experience with this product I can't recommend the Vuka Alumina clip-ons (The Basebar is great, no issues with that).

I've had multiple bolts sheer clean off having failed at the bolt head. I lost one arm rest at mile 48 of a 50 mile TT - fortunately I didn't crash but did have to go back after the race to find the arm rest. One of the bolts that grips the extensions has also sheered off, can't retrieve the screw end as its stuck in the clamp body.

Its a shame because the Vuka as a nice piece of kit, it just wasn't durable enough.

For this reason I have switched to the newer profile design J5 clamp brackets, this has the same adjustability as the Vuka but seems to be a much stronger build with fewer parts and no rotational clamp forces on the extensions. I've put different extensions in there (longer, personal preference) and so far so good. I'll be on the look out for the BTA bracket that fixes the two clamps together and should provide some additional bracing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had an offer to buy a Felt bar at a good price. I'm probably going to go with that, but any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [Stevie_A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using the J5 with the Vuka cups now? I was wondering whether those two things worked together.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had to mod the cups to fit.

The PD bolt pattern seems to fit laterally (-) whereas the Zipp bolt pattern is longitudinal (|). Given the curvature of the Zipp cups they wont fit the lateral bolt holes on the J5 bracket, had to drill a hold about 5 mm inboard of the rear mounting hole to use the longitudinal bolt holes if that makes sense.

It was very straightforward and its working great so far. I really like the curved zipp cups as they create a very locked-in feel, even on bumpy northern England roads
Quote Reply
Re: Best Budget Aerobar [Stevie_A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does, thanks.
Quote Reply