Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events?
Quote | Reply
Just curious to hear people's thoughts and feelings about Bandits, people who freeload events, ride/run the course, eat up the food at SAG stations, use all of the resources that the race has to offer - without paying a penny.

I heard there's a website coming soon that will display photos of individuals (riding the course) who bandit bike events. Fortunately I don't have to worry about being that guy in the photo, wearing kit from my local club.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [Amateur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why that's even a question and why you are asking, it's wrong for so many reason. Kind of like if I asked how do you feel about people stealing in a store?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third Circle of Hell

Quote:
First Circle:
People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Bandits, People Who Fake Bibs, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make Up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, Coach K, Christian Laettner and Roger Goodell

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Douchebag move, not enough to get excited about it though

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
Just curious to hear people's thoughts and feelings about Bandits, people who freeload events, ride/run the course, eat up the food at SAG stations, use all of the resources that the race has to offer - without paying a penny.

I heard there's a website coming soon that will display photos of individuals (riding the course) who bandit bike events. Fortunately I don't have to worry about being that guy in the photo, wearing kit from my local club.

On the weekends I go for a long ride I usually hit the coast for at least a short bit to enjoy the scenery and weather. It's not uncommon for me to ride by a race that is going on given that I live in San Diego and we have events it seems every weekend. I feel bad enough when that happens, I couldn't imagine actually jumping into a course and using the aid stations. Hell when we have MTB races that I know are going on I'll make sure to steer clear of those trails to give the competitors space and those races are much more open to public access given the size, locations and nature of the sport.

Yeah, it's a dick move to bandit a race.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

To be fair, any agents. Estate agent, literary agent, biological agent and Mulder (not Scully obvs). 'Agent' is figuratively Latin for parasite. Except Newsagents, got nothing against them but it's their own stupid fault for not choosing a better name. I apologise if this seems harsh but they started muck spreading while I was half way through a turbo session in my garden and I'm in a bad mood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid. Why do the race unless you're actually "racing it".. go run somewhere else or sign up for the race.

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I accidentally bandited a local 10k once. I knew the route went through the neighborhood adjacent to mine, and down the multi-use path I frequently run on. I was planning to do my own short run, and, knowing it was "Kirby Derby Day," checked online for the start time. Website says 10:00. I think "no problem, it's 9:10. I'll be back home by the time they hit the entrance to 'the Chimneys,' they won't be in my way, nor will I be in theirs. I'll run my usual route" When I went across the main road into the next neighborhood, I was surprised to see and aid station already set up. The workers started cheering me. Apparently the race actually started at 9, and they all thought I was the leader. A little farther down the way, I got my "5k split" read to me, and advice that "there's a guy behind you, and he's closing fast" (i.e. the real race leader). A more honorable person would have made an impromptu route change and gotten out of the way, but I was a little ticked that they had the start time wrong so I stuck to my route. And I'm not gonna lie, I took a water at the next aid station. It was a hot, sticky day, OK? Besides, the unexpected audience resulted in my outrunning my targeted RPE. If they think you're winning, you at least have to look like you're trying hard, right? I didn't follow the course all the way to the end, though, so I didn't eat any unearned cookies, granola bars, or bananas. I did have fun the next Monday telling all my friends how I was leading the Kirby Derby at the 5k mark.

I also swam an open water race and a couple swim meets while taking sudafed for seasonal allergies, before I was aware it was on the WADA list as a banned substance for competition.

So which one of the levels of hell am I going to have to go to?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 19, 17 20:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if races had a better system of exchanging bibs for those who are unable to participate (injured, plans changed, didn't train enough) like a stub-hub, I would hold bandits in much greater contempt.

I have raced with a bib from friends/family who are unable to participate.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I accidentally bandited a local 10k once. I knew the route went through the neighborhood adjacent to mine, and down the multi-use path I frequently run on. I was planning to do my own short run, and, knowing it was "Kirby Derby Day," checked online for the start time. Website says 10:00. I think "no problem, it's 9:10. I'll be back home by the time they hit the entrance to 'the Chimneys,' they won't be in my way, nor will I be in theirs. I'll run my usual route" When I went across the main road into the next neighborhood, I was surprised to see and aid station already set up. The workers started cheering me. Apparently the race actually started at 9, and they all thought I was the leader. A little farther down the way, I got my "5k split" read to me, and advice that "there's a guy behind you, and he's closing fast" (i.e. the real race leader). A more honorable person would have made an impromptu route change and gotten out of the way, but I was a little ticked that the had the start time wrong so I stuck to my route. And I'm not gonna lie,I took a water at the next aid station. It was a hot, sticky day, OK? Besides, the unexpected audience resulted in my outrunning my targeted RPE. If they think you're winning, you at least have to look like you're trying hard, right? I didn't follow the course all the way to the end, though, so I didn't eat any unearned cookies, granola bars, or bananas. I did have fun the next Monday telling all my friends how I was leading the Kirby Derby at the 5k mark.

I also swam an open water race and a couple swim meets while taking sudafed for seasonal allergies, before I was aware it was on the WADA list as a banned substance for competition.

I don't think this is the same thing as an intentional bandit + It's a funny story

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I think if races had a better system of exchanging bibs for those who are unable to participate (injured, plans changed, didn't train enough) like a stub-hub, I would hold bandits in much greater contempt.

As long as its an open race (i.e. you don't need to qualify to enter), then I don't have a problem with using someone else's bib. That's not banditing IMO.

There may be a transfer clause in the RD's fine print that you are breaking, but at least someone paid for the race.

My wife had an injury that impacted her training, so we ended up running a 30 km race as a 2 x 15 relay. We used our own transportation to get to the relay spot, so didn't drain any resources of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bandit a local century, b/c it sells out ridiculously far in advance.
This year I refilled one water bottle (with water), peed once in the portajohn, and helped myself to two 2 orange slices.
I'm pretty much over it and have learned to love myself despite my sins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a race, not acceptable.

A century like event, on public roads, and not availing themselves of the food stops, no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [OldnFat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldnFat wrote:
For a race, not acceptable.

A century like event, on public roads, and not availing themselves of the food stops, no problem.

Why do you think it's acceptable for a Century but not a Race? btw I have never done a race that is not on public roads.
Last edited by: Amateur: Apr 19, 17 23:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel that we should be entitled to it.

I am living off my equity and it sure enough took me a long time to get there, being able to live close to the race course and all the action. I pre-payed.

I am also an awesome athlete and you should be happy that a grace your event with my presence. I add priceless value!

And if it weren't by any chance, it would be all Obama's fault!

Amateur wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:

I think it can be more difficult than you imagine.
3 years ago I was in Bormio and we had planned to ride up the Stelvio, we woke up to find that there was some Belgian sportive going up it on that day. We waited until they were gone (it took ages) then started our climb, but we were riding with lots of paying riders. Were we bandits? I ashamedly admit to filling my bottle at the aid station at the top.

Closed road events are a different thing, but open road is difficult. If they don't use the facilities, then they have every right to be there.

People who don't get drawn to ride, but ride anyway is pretty morally grey for me. People who don't want to pay, but ride anyway are clearly in the wrong.

In running I think it is clearer that they are in the wrong, in my original example we wanted to ride the Stelvio because it is beautiful and challenging. No one decides to run 26.2miles as fast as they can in Boston just for shits and giggles, unless they are doing the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding, say, a sportive course alongside an event isn't something I've ever done intentionally but I can't see a major issue with it, providing you don't use event facilities. After all they're typically on open public roads, so you're perfectly entitled to be there. However, using anything that the event entry fees went towards providing, or interfering with participants in any way would not, in my opinion, be acceptable behaviour.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do what I can to stay clear of all events. I am not a competitor and fortunately there have only been a couple of times where my course had some overlaps with a race course that I was unaware until later. It is funny that twice my course overlapped a charity ride and riders followed me off their route when my course went a different direction. I had to turn back and tell them they were off course. The look on their faces with absolute confusion kind of like, "but you're on a bike so you must be one of us" when I had to tell them again not to follow me if they want to finish their course. And a couple of times passing by a sag stop or turns with the volunteers trying to wave me into the stop or to turn with confused looks and a couple of times sag vehicle drivers pulling up next to me and telling me I'm off course. Kind of makes me giggle a little inside. :-)

On topic, I have a friend that seems to have no guilt jumping into paid events and races. I always feel a bit uncomfortable when she tells me that she does it because a friend paid to ride and the friend wanted her company. She also said she ate their food and refilled her bottles. I am not going to be someone's morality judge, but it is not something I want to do. I have been asked to join friends in the same manner, but simply said no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once when on a 100 mile training ride, I did inadvertently do a 3 mile section of a Sprint Tri, and overtook someone racing. I didn't tell him I had 90 miles in my legs :-)

If you intentionally 'bandit' an event people paid for, then that's freeloading, yes.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've accidentally "bandited" two races, though I never take any aid so I don't know if it really counts... the first was a marathon from Charlevoix to Harbor Springs, MI. It's on a bike path and people were cheering, yelling that I was in second place about 20 miles in. I tried explaining to people that "this" is not the body of a second place marathoner unless there are only two people entered (200+ pounds), but finally gave up and just enjoyed the moment. The second was the last leg of the Dalmac ride from Lansing to Mackinac... I guess it's not really a race, more of an organized ride, but I couldn't figure out why there were hundreds of people on my route! They offered some food at the finish (my turn around) but I stuck with refueling my bottles. The first at least made for a fun story.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I accidentally bandited a local 10k once. ...

We'll have to think about that one

Found myself in the middle of a ‪#‎ColorRun‬ one morning last year, when my route crossed over theirs in a couple spots, and we shared a mile & a tenth [their finishing straight, my 4th]

They must've done a wave start, because I was in with the 12 year-olds

I ran on the sidewalk to a) not confuse anyone at the finish line [being a small person, I could be mistaken for a tall-ish 12 y/o LOL]; b) not get color pigment all over me

Comment of the day: this big, BIG dude [6-6 plus, three & a half bills, easy], was out for his morning walk: XXXL T-shirt & basketball shorts, near a "splash point" his friends were working, at Mile 2, I'd say

"Color Run today, dude!" a friends shouted "You're in it, right?"
"I won it, already" he answered "In fact, I'm on my third lap"

Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

As long as its an open race (i.e. you don't need to qualify to enter), then I don't have a problem with using someone else's bib. That's not banditing IMO.

There may be a transfer clause in the RD's fine print that you are breaking, but at least someone paid for the race.

My wife had an injury that impacted her training, so we ended up running a 30 km race as a 2 x 15 relay. We used our own transportation to get to the relay spot, so didn't drain any resources of the race.

"Using someone else's bib" has caused legal problems. A few years ago a borrowed bib user had an accident. He had not signed the waiver. I think USAT or the RD brought the bib lender into the lawsuit. That is the reason that this can get you a long suspension (maybe lifetime) from USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a massive liability issue for a race director.

It is part of the reason why we have a race transfer/deferral policy, but not a person-to-person transfer option (we let people transfer to one of our other events, or to the same race the following year).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Third Circle of Hell

Quote:
First Circle:
People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Bandits, People Who Fake Bibs, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make Up Charity Scams
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, Coach K, Christian Laettner and Roger Goodell

YMMV

Need to update that with Grayson Allen.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about athletes who Bandit events? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Need to update that with Grayson Allen.

Grayson Allen is NO Christian Laettner ... in so many ways [although, Coach K never benched Laettner]

Quote Reply

Prev Next