Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel..
Quote | Reply
Back at the start of March I spent two days testing race set up, position, and two helmets at FASTER. I did about 7 runs on the first day, made some adjustments to my position, and then tested again a few days later. I thought it might be of interest to some to see the data but I need help as it's all in an Excel spreadsheet and for the life of me I don't know how to format and share it in this forum.

This was my initial baseline position with LG-PO9

And this was after making fit adjustments and wearing the Giro Areohead

And a video of the final run
http://tinypic.com/r/ftotns/9]

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smoooth!

You went too soon... could have crowd sourced the trip ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Apr 19, 17 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Smoooth

Can I e-mail you the Excel sheet, Chris, and see if you can put in a format that I could share?

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be happy to but I am at the beach (cue the worlds tiniest violin) with nothing but my phone for trolling the Internet/ST

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you upload it to google sheets and post the link here? That would be best I think

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like this?

https://docs.google.com/...Q00/edit?usp=sharing

That worked! Thanks!

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Apr 19, 17 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good... pattern matching the aerohead to the zoot kit is worth 10 watts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Looks good... pattern matching the aerohead to the zoot kit is worth 10 watts.

I'm going to go back and test the Smith Podium against the Areohead. I don't like the Aerohead, it's big and hot. I love the Podium but Aaron at Faster has already warned me not to get my hopes up. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted a couple of helmets to test better than the aerohead too... but didn't find one.

More explanation on the lower saddle run? Down (and back?) How much?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever re-do your baseline to check for variability from run to run? Was the protocol for each run 30 seconds at 0, 30 seconds at 5, 30 seconds at 10, then 1:00 at 0? Interesting (but not entirely surprising) that wider pads resulted in a drag reduction.
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Did you ever re-do your baseline to check for variability from run to run? Was the protocol for each run 30 seconds at 0, 30 seconds at 5, 30 seconds at 10, then 1:00 at 0? Interesting (but not entirely surprising) that wider pads resulted in a drag reduction.

It seemed longer then that, especially the initial 0, more like 2min at 0 then 1min at each turn and then back to 0 for 1min. I can ask Aaron. The pads closer actually was faster but I was moving around too much in that position so we moved them back out a touch to give me a broader platform. I would like to try and get a little closer on those after i acclimate to the new position.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Apr 19, 17 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

It seemed longer then that, especially the initial 0, more like 2min at 0 then 1min at each turn and then back to 0 for 1min. I can ask Aaron. The pads closer actually was faster but I was moving around too much in that position so we moved them back out a touch to give me a broader platform. I would like to try and get a little closer on those after i acclimate to the new position.

Am I looking at it right, or was there quite a bit of variability between your initial 0 deg reading and the end 0 deg readings?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Am I looking at it right, or was there quite a bit of variability between your initial 0 deg reading and the end 0 deg readings?

You are reading it right. Rider error. I was super steady to start but would eventually start moving around too much. I have a hard time holding still.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

You are reading it right. Rider error. I was super steady to start but would eventually start moving around too much. I have a hard time holding still.

Sounds like a fit issue ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sounds like a fit issue ;-)

I just told him that on the phone!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you maybe summarize the results in words...I don't know how to read the excel file :( but thanks for posting!
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Can you maybe summarize the results in words...I don't know how to read the excel file :( but thanks for posting!

At the end of the day lowering my saddle, tilting up my bar extensions a bit, getting a bit narrower on the arm pads, and wearing the Giro made my CDa better. And I have been riding thatosition now a few weeks and power and RPE have come back together and pace is good. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What am I missing? I see cda going up each time you go lower saddle

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks Bryan. I really appreciate you sharing the file. Do you happen to know to what degree they tilted your arms? And also in your file what does the "aero watts (mph)" column mean (V)?

Bryancd wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

At the end of the day lowering my saddle, tilting up my bar extensions a bit, getting a bit narrower on the arm pads, and wearing the Giro made my CDa better. And I have been riding thatosition now a few weeks and power and RPE have come back together and pace is good. :)
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Apr 19, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've already talked with Bryan about this on the phone & I've not looked at the numbers yet, that's for tomorrow.

Check out his head position especially in runs 1-5.

His butt position and shoulder/back shape changes a lot as well through the test. Bottle height is also different from the 1st day to the 2nd day.

Those right there will make a huge difference(s) in CdA numbers. Was it the position change? was it head position? Distance from butt to BTS?

EDIT: We don't have the video from the runs so head positions could just be a brief instant in each run. We'd need that or more pics to be completely/more sure

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 19, 17 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah haven't went through the pictures yet. Thought I might be looking at the wrong column on the spreadsheet (which is still possible as well, a little jumbled on my phone)

Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ttt bryan get the man the video feed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
I wanted a couple of helmets to test better than the aerohead too... but didn't find one.

More explanation on the lower saddle run? Down (and back?) How much?

Saddle went down about 4-5mm. We also switched saddles, the Adamo I was on was making all my movement worse.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: My visit to the FASTER Wind Tunnel.. [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Cool, thanks Bryan. I really appreciate you sharing the file. Do you happen to know to what degree they tilted your arms? And also in your file what does the "aero watts (mph)" column mean (V)?

Bryancd wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

The amount of tilt was very small, you can sort of glean it in the pictures.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the difference in numbers between the LG and giro?
Quote Reply

Prev Next